It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Norway considering F-16 replacement (56k warning)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 10:17 AM
link   
A recent exercise in norway has shown an interesting situation:
Norway are considering swapping there `old` F-16`s for *39`s*

in a fly off between norwegian f-16`s and the gripen , the gripen beat the viper every time in BVR combat , and would out fly it most occasions as well , the best advantage of the viper is the more powerful engine;

the observed downsides of the gripen are the lack of intergral in flight refueling (now rectified) , no HMS (helmet mouted sight) and it needs an extra hardpoint for either JDAM or fuel) and then the choice is obvious

The norwegians have been offered 40 block 50N vipers (M3 upgrade - Link16 , HMS and JDAM capability)

the norwegian fleet are F-16A , with a mix of block 5 10 and block 15.

from the rumours i`ve heard , they cannot wait for JSF to come online and want a tactical fighter now to replace the F-5`s and F-16`s ; and from what i`ve heard the swedes want this sale so will pull out the stops to get it.

[edit on 29-5-2005 by Harlequin]

[edit on 29-5-2005 by Harlequin]

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 11:18 PM
link   

I thought the Norwegien F-16s were blk 50/60 stuff!!...

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Nice!
I have been hoping for them to choose the Gripen, and now it looks like they did. Good choice!

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 09:57 AM
link   
If it's true that they were using F-16As, then that is not even a legitimate comparison of the two aircrafts. A base model Viper from a design of 30 years age compared to the newest Sweden (a darn good source) has to offer. The Gripen is by far my favorite non-American aircraft but I think the JSF would be better. The F-16 is more than proven, but I think they are close to maxing out its capapbilities.

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 10:01 AM
link   
There's the rub though, the F-35 wont even be in US or UK service until about 2014 and Norway doesn't want to wait that long, also the Gripen is at the beginning of its growth cycle having only recently entered service whereas the F-16, as good as it is, is approaching the end of its own development potential.

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 11:05 AM
link   
The F-16 has not reached the end of its development potential.

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   
care to elaborate on that statement? Atfer 30 years of coninual development where do you see the F-16 going in, say, the next 15?

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 12:51 PM
link   
There isnt alot else they can do with the viper - its gone from pure fighter to `quasi` multi role , and with the addition of a new radar , HMSC and new weapons , there isn`t too much they can do with the airframe - the wingload is allready very VERY high , so if they wanted to do anything else with it , then it needs a new wing at the very least.

And with raptor coming (and the FB-2x to fill the gap left by the `varks) the viper isn`t high on the list of `where to go next` list.

Look at the block 60/70 aircraft - new radar and HMSC and profiling for new weapons - but thats about it

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 04:39 AM
link   
I also think that with the F-35 to push Lockheed Martrin will decide that the F-16 HAS reached the end of the road despite what jetsetter wants to think

posted on May, 31 2005 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I think the Griphen would be a nice replacement. As previously said the F16 is getting old.

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Oh no!
A JAS 39 Gripen crashed in Sweden today. The pilot survived by ejecting out of the plane in time. He is in hospital. The cause of crash is still unknown. They say this was a brand new plane.

Photo: AP

Aftenposten: Jagerfly styrtet i Sverige (in norwegian...)

I found an english link:
Swedish fighter jet crashes in sea, pilot alive

top topics

join