It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Closer Moon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Is it just me or is the moon getting closer to earth? for the past few weeks i have noticed the moon out earlier in the day than normal, also, at night and in day it seems brighter, bigger, or asometimes, both. maybe its just the time of year, with summer starting and all. and if you need my location for any help to give me, i live in Clark, PA. Clark is located at 41°16'55" North, 80°24'35" West.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 11:25 PM
link   
No, I cant say I've noticed any change in the moons over all visual procsimity.

Also, technicaly, the moon cant come vloser to the Earth, unless an outside force, acts upon it.

The moon moves away from us at an Inch (think thats right) per year.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Schmidt1989
Is it just me or is the moon getting closer to earth? for the past few weeks i have noticed the moon out earlier in the day than normal, also, at night and in day it seems brighter, bigger, or asometimes, both. maybe its just the time of year, with summer starting and all. and if you need my location for any help to give me, i live in Clark, PA. Clark is located at 41°16'55" North, 80°24'35" West.

That's because the moon has a 29 day orbital around the earth.

The moon is currently waning [edit... ooops!] It will get brighter until the full moon and then it'll get dimmer.

The moon, by the way, is moving AWAY from the earth at the rate of an inch or two per year.

[edit on 28-5-2005 by Byrd]

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I am pretty sure moon was full week ago, check it anyway.
There is no way you noticed moon earlier because it is always on the sky later going from west to east in the way sun goes, during the year time.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Actually the moon is waning. It was just full a few nights ago..

Over the monthlong period of it's orbit it is sometimes closer, and sometimes farther away. It's orbit is not a perfect circle.

Technically it can appear larger, though not by much. And would be most noticable if a full moon, occured during it's closest approach to Earth.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 08:31 AM
link   
okay, cool i didnt know it was moving away, so maybe it just looked closer
but other than that, i know its always up in the sky, its just before i couldnt see it in the daylight alot but i have been seeing it more recently in the day...

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Also if I'm not mistaken can't certain atmospheric conditions make it seem a little larger? Like humidity, etc.

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Also, jukyu, location in the sky. Very often, the moon will seem to grow and shrink as it progresses across the sky. That has to do with angles and percentages and all that jazz.

The moon is a quarter of a million miles away. Before anyone notices it moving it'll have to move a whole lot. But, the human brain is fantastic at convincing itself.

top topics

join