It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HP aims to help governments check IDs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 08:52 AM
link   
It's not enough to know who you are and what you're doing in the physical world. Apparently HP, in conjunction with other software companies, aims to "authenticate visitors to government Web sites, to control access to services and manage citizens' online identity."

"In addition, the new product includes technology to make ID documents--such as passports, driver's licenses and identity cards--more secure and "intelligent," the company said. The technology can fulfill new secure ID requirements designed to heighten security at national borders, the company said.

The National Identity System can handle numerous tasks, including online and offline identity verification, live capture of demographic and biometric data, and secure access to documents. It's also compatible with various biometric identification systems and incorporates public key infrastructure and digital signatures, the company said. "

Say good-bye to anonymous web surfing! I hope I'm not the only one that thinks all this biometric tracking technology is overkill when it comes to the war on terror. Seriously, your odds of being attacked by a terrorist can't possibly be that high. I've heard people say "If you have nothing to hide, then this stuff shouldn't matter to you." But that's not my point. This is the cyber-world's way of saying "Who are you?! Show me your papers!!" I don't feel comfortable with that.
Source: News.com

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Source: Yahoo.com
"
Gait: Do you walk it like you talk it? Gait biometrics measure the motion of your legs as you move. The technology's big advantage is that a good scanner can recognize you at a distance using low-resolution images (like those from a parking-lot security camera).

Ears: Whether you've got ears like Minnie Mouse or like Dumbo's, their pattern is unique and doesn't change over time. Ear prints are being used in Great Britain to solve crimes.

Keystrokes: The rhythm and speed of your typing can be a reliable indicator of who's on the other side of the keyboard. Keystroke dynamics can be used to control access to a computer network or for online authentication.

Signature: This biometric can measure not only what your John Hancock looks like, but also the changes in pressure and velocity as you move the pen, making it much harder for forgers to spoof. But because your signature can change with age and health, it's not a reliable long-term solution.

Vein structure: Using infrared light, this biometric measures the unique pattern of veins in the face, hand, or wrist. The method's main attractions are ease of scanning and consistency, since such patterns don't change over time.

Hand geometry: This biometric measures the length and width of your fingers, the thickness of your palm, and 90-odd other characteristics of your hand. It's a popular biometric for workplaces, since the scan is fast and noninvasive.

Body odor: Taken a bath lately? No matter. This biometric measures the unique chemicals your body gives off, and can theoretically pick you out of a crowd no matter how much cologne you're wearing. The
Department of Defense is investing millions into researching whether such sensors are feasible."

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Definatly overkill. I can only hope things like this don't make their way mainstream.

I can't help but get the sense that in 10 years the internet will be like the physical world. Being scanned and assessed when you cross into another countries server (such as China).

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Worse yet, I wonder if this technology has so much success that all media comes through it because if its controllability. Soon, your TV set will get all media via the internet, and everything you watch will be recorded. Everywhere you go will be recorded. If you use a webcam? Recorded. Maybe I'm just paranoid but in this day and age, why not?

new topics

top topics

join