It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Europe Creates Rapid Reaction Force

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 05:23 PM
link   
The European Union has formed two new battle groups for peacekeeping operations. Four battle groups excisted already and they plan to have a total of a dozen battle groups. The battle groups should be able to be deployed "anywhere in the world" within 10 days if they need to respond to a situation.

Canada.com: EU forms battle groups for peacekeeping, says must sharpen its military edge

(May 23, 2005)

Several European Union countries formed multinational, rapid-reaction battle groups Monday as part of ambitious efforts to give the EU the capability by late 2007 of launching peacekeeping operations anywhere in the world within 10 days.

The 25-country EU plans to have a total of a dozen battle groups, comprising 1,500 troops able to deploy within 10 days on humanitarian, rescue, peacekeeping and disarmament operations as well as helping other countries combat terrorism and increase their own security.

The EU aims to be able to run two "rapid response operations" at one time.

France, Germany and Spain formed one rapid reaction unit, while Germany also formed one with Poland, Slovakia, Estonia and Lithuania. Another was formed by Sweden, Finland and Estonia. Norway - a NATO ally but not an EU member - also plans to join the Nordic unit.

Four battle groups - including an all-English and all-French unit - existed before Monday's meeting.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

"Disarmament operations", hmmm. If one or more of these battle groups were to be deployed into Trans-Dniestr some day, I wouldn´t be surprised. This is a very good idea, we need to be prepared. Terrorists, conflicts, Mother Nature and accidents.

Related News Sources:
The Australian: Europe creates rapid reaction force
The Daily Telegraph: Europe creates rapid reaction force
CANOE - CNEWS: EU forms battle groups for peacekeeping
News.com.au: Europe creates rapid reaction force

Related ATS-threads:
ATS: Troops Invade Norway
ATS: Tiraspol - Moldova - Mafia in Uniform
ATS: Europe Stages Nuclear Crisis Test
WAR: Radioactive Rockets 'For Sale' To Terrorists

[edit on 2006/4/23 by Hellmutt]

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Thats it,

The ball is rolling for good or bad its rolling.
Funny, this hasnt been on our news lol...

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Excellant start. If Europe will just keep it at that pace then in a few centuries the US might be able to bring its soldiers home and let you good people defend yourselves.

Sorry, i'm sorry, I just couldn't help it.

I'm actually proud that Europe is finally coming together, getting a constitution going and working together instead of constantly being at odds with one another. If it keeps going at its present pace it will actually become a kick ass world power before too long.

Thats overdue, long over due.

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy

Excellant start. If Europe will just keep it at that pace then in a few centuries the US might be able to bring its soldiers home and let you good people defend yourselves.

Sorry, i'm sorry, I just couldn't help it.

I'm actually proud that Europe is finally coming together, getting a constitution going and working together instead of constantly being at odds with one another. If it keeps going at its present pace it will actually become a kick ass world power before too long.

Thats overdue, long over due.

Love and light,

Wupy

Huh?
Mabye I'm tired but...when did we lose our soverignty?

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
Thats it,

The ball is rolling for good or bad its rolling.
Funny, this hasnt been on our news lol...

Indeed, and I have still not found this mentioned in any European newsmedia except for a swedish one... Why is that?

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
Indeed, and I have still not found this mentioned in any European newsmedia except for a swedish one... Why is that?

I have no idea, mabye its just not reached them?

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 04:36 PM
link   
This expansion has been a long time coming. I dont see the harm in beefing up the force so it has more teeth. Nothing groundbreaking has come out of this.

I do believe this is a step towards a NATO rival encompassing only Europe.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt

It's been talked about for a while.
A thread I started back in September of 2004 talked about their plans.

EU to take over from NATO?

top topics

join