It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. looks to consolidate troops at 4 large bases in Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 07:08 AM
link   
US troops currently are sprawled out into 106 bases in Iraq and they are now looking at consolidating them into four large bases with more permanent structures.

sfgate

Baghdad -- U.S. military commanders have prepared plans to consolidate U.S. troops in Iraq into four large air bases as they look ahead to giving up more than 100 other bases now occupied by international forces, officers said.

Several officers involved in drafting the consolidation plan said it entailed the construction of longer-lasting buildings at the sites, including barracks and office structures made of concrete block instead of the metal trailers and tin-sheathed buildings that have become the norm at bigger U.S. bases in Iraq. The new, sturdier buildings will give the bases a more permanent character, the officers acknowledged.

The consolidation plan appears to reflect a judgment by U.S. military commanders that American forces are likely to be in Iraq for some years, even after their numbers begin to decline, and that they probably will continue to face danger. The new buildings are being designed to withstand direct mortar strikes, according to a senior military engineer.

The words "a more permanent character" really stood out when I was reading this. The troops probably will be over there for many years, even if it's a reduced number.

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Yeah i don`t think the US will be leaving any time soon!

And i also think that Iran and possibly Syria will have permanent US bases in the future. All part of the master plan to have a significant presence in the region for the forseeable future!

[edit on 22-5-2005 by veritas 7]

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 08:14 AM
link   
like thats gunna do any good. once again AMERIKA will 'own the roads' but nothing else. hardened bases that will always be attacked..and each attack carried out will/is seen as a succes. iraq will be the next israel...car bombs everyday but this time it will be americians who will be dying. i wonder how much troop levels will increse? deployments actively scheduled trouogh 2006, increase in Nat gaurd deployments to replace reg army, consolidation of bases.....almost sounds like 'they' are getting ready for something............................

join