It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: North Koreans on Brink of Total Starvation

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 10:21 PM
link   
North Koreans are facing imminent starvation as the U.N. operated World Food Program will be forced to cut back on supplement aid given to North Korea. The North Korea government has also decided to cut rations, giving the community only half the daily requirement.

www.theaustralian.news.com.au
NORTH Korea is facing a food crisis as the biggest aid donor countries wrangle to get the isolated regime back to the negotiating table for nuclear disarmament talks.

With no large shipments since October, the UN's World Food Program has been forced to cut down food supplements to the 3.8million people on its books as "core beneficiaries", including pregnant and nursing women, children and the elderly.

"It's a severe crisis getting worse," WFP spokesman Gerald Bourke said in Beijing yesterday. "People there are living on the edge," he said.

"It's a very difficult decision to make if you have to decide between an elderly person in the city, and a hungry child in an orphanage."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The UN operated World Food Program estimates by the end of this month 1,200,000 women and children in North Korea will lose their supplements and by the end of next month 2,100,000 school children, poor urbanites and elderly people will stop receiving cereals.

The North Korean government has also cut the public rations for cereals to 250g, half the daily requirment

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Sad place- unless there is a revolution nothing will change.

The N. Korean people deserve better (everyone does). To be ruled by crazy people for more than 50 years must be an abject lesson to others about what Hell is like.

external image

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 10:50 AM
link   
When your country is dying of starvation, it sort of puts the whole 'Nuclear Musical Chairs' in the backseat. Or at least it should. This is one of the few times in history that the 'Global Spotlight' is brightly aimed at North Korea. And Mr. Jong is taking full advantage of it. So much so that he has disregarded the welfare of his population and created a possibly economical devastating 'Cold War'. And we all know how these stories end.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I saw a special on the Discovery Channel about this and it still haunts me. These children at the market in North Korea were desperately scanning the mud around a rice vendor for even one grain of rice to eat. The bags of rice that the vendors were selling were UN aid bags.

Sanctions seem to kill women and children. Why is that a good idea? Have they ever worked?

Also, can someone explain to me why China sits back and does nothing about Kim? It's like they want this madman there as sort of a buffer between them and the US. But don't they care about human rights? They set that client state up with Kim's communist father and now those two idiots are worshipped like gods there.

If there is starvation in North Korea, I will blame the Chinese first. They should help these people.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 01:34 PM
link   
what's worse, a few million starve, or few million die from a nuke and the resulting radiation for generations to come.
tell them to stop making nukes and put that money into food.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Hmm? He won't put that money into food. This has been going on for quite some time, and him, with all his pompous ambitions, will halt him from making his people eat. He'd rather put it into nuclear weapons that they will never launch, knowing full well that if they launched them, the "big-bad" U.S. would come marching in and stomp them around a bit.

=/

-wD

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Ultimately, the North Korean people are the only who can help themselves, if they don't like the living stituation.

Imagine the impact if the whole nation decided to go against their government...

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   
This has been going on for well over 10 years now.
It is headlines (again) now due to the nuke talks.
Unfortunately, everytime, the world sends food or monies. The food and monies go towards NK's military.
The only times that the food as actually made it to the NK people, has been when an international monitor is actually there every step of the way and even then, much of the food / monies gets "lost"

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I don't buy this at all. Keyhole LT just had their image database updated and provides at least medium resolution satellite images of the whole globe except Antarctica of course. North Korea looks very green to me and if land is green, then it means that the land is fertile. If land is fertile it is highly likely people will use it to grow food if a whole nation was starving. Granted the images are not as good as the ones above Kansas or Oklahoma but I can see similarities in where land appears to be divided into farms and crops like I do here in the states. Especially just South of Pyongyong and NorthEast of Songnim. Rivers run gloriously through the land as I and anyone with Keyhole Lt can clearly see. If you do have this program make sure you get ont the Primary server and you will clearly see farms all across North Korea and rivers running through green land.

Somalia is a desert area and was recieving a decent volume of U.N. food aid in 1993 when that Blackhawk incident occured. We were able to report 300,000 dead due to starvation alone in one year. Why is it there are no death figures after 2 years in a nation that borders our ally and has A Red Cross presence in there? Im sorry but I am not buying this starvation thing one bit after looking through the satellite images. Smallpeeps if you could maybe provide a date and time you saw this program on discovery. Are you sure you werent witnessing images from some undeveloped Asian country?

If you look at coordinates 39°55 N Lat by 125°29 E Longitude you can clearly see in high resolution an unnamed city with what appears to be subdivisions and surrounding farms. There are three big chunks in the north section of the country with high resolution.

My opinion is I wont believe tha people are starving, especially with the evidence that is clearly available to me, and anyone who has access to this program (I payed for a year subscription but new users can get a 7-day trial) until I see death counts due to hunger. This should go into a research program maybe? Is it possible to get into North Korea as a tourist/student/freelance journalist/ or business meeting? Does NK ban anyone travelling from America not on "humanitarian mission"?

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Appearance can be deceiving...!

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 02:44 PM
link   
What exactly are you implying by appearances can be deceiving? Please don't post without explanations to backup your statements. It is quite obvious that what I am seeing, and what you could also be seeing are farms and crops. Give me a few hours and I will attempt to scramble a web page together to make the comparisons and provide images of the landscapes.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Much of the land isn't suitable for crop farming, and much of what is has been converted to opium farming to produce heroin to smuggle into other countries for cash.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes
What exactly are you implying by appearances can be deceiving? Please don't post without explanations to backup your statements. It is quite obvious that what I am seeing, and what you could also be seeing are farms and crops. Give me a few hours and I will attempt to scramble a web page together to make the comparisons and provide images of the landscapes.

All I am saying is that the satellite images of North Korea with greenish looking land does not correlated to what has been reported on the News media.

One representation has to be true, while the other is false! The question is which one?

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Could someone please post a factual source that states most of North Koreas land is unsuitable for crops or any kind of food crops, because that would also make most of South Koreas land unsuitable for many food crops as well seeing as they share the same geography and land features.

I took a few snapshots and uploaded them to a host as quickly as possible.

That is just south of Pyongyong the capitol of North Korea. The land there looks quite similar to this snapshot of Kansas right below.

If these images fail to load you can visit the site I pieced together with haste to show why I think they should be well fed. My opinion of course and people are entitled to their. I just believe that these satellite images are speaking more truth than others would like to believe

[edit on 5/21/2005 by DYepes]

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 04:52 PM
link   
DYepes: Good post about the pictures...

Now is there any Korean or anyone who used to (or still) live in North Korea, on board that can shed some light on this issue?

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 05:43 PM
link   
The pics clearly show intensive farming. Rice/millet or opium I don't know. with this kind of farming the country should have plenty of food.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I find it odd that how the North Koreans (the people) can take it any longer. They seems to love their crazy leader Kim!

is it because they think that the whole world is starving too? and that Kim is the only one who can give them so food?

or is it that they think that without kim's military those racist imperialist americans (they think thats what the US is) will take their short amount of food?

the NK People need to remove their leader and put in a new leader that really give a dam about them. i feel sorry for the NK's.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes
I don't buy this at all. Keyhole LT just had their image database updated and provides at least medium resolution satellite images of the whole globe except Antarctica of course. North Korea looks very green to me and if land is green, then it means that the land is fertile. If land is fertile it is highly likely people will use it to grow food if a whole nation was starving. Granted the images are not as good as the ones above Kansas or Oklahoma but I can see similarities in where land appears to be divided into farms and crops like I do here in the states. Especially just South of Pyongyong and NorthEast of Songnim. Rivers run gloriously through the land as I and anyone with Keyhole Lt can clearly see. If you do have this program make sure you get ont the Primary server and you will clearly see farms all across North Korea and rivers running through green land.

Somalia is a desert area and was recieving a decent volume of U.N. food aid in 1993 when that Blackhawk incident occured. We were able to report 300,000 dead due to starvation alone in one year. Why is it there are no death figures after 2 years in a nation that borders our ally and has A Red Cross presence in there? Im sorry but I am not buying this starvation thing one bit after looking through the satellite images. Smallpeeps if you could maybe provide a date and time you saw this program on discovery. Are you sure you werent witnessing images from some undeveloped Asian country?

If you look at coordinates 39°55 N Lat by 125°29 E Longitude you can clearly see in high resolution an unnamed city with what appears to be subdivisions and surrounding farms. There are three big chunks in the north section of the country with high resolution.

My opinion is I wont believe tha people are starving, especially with the evidence that is clearly available to me, and anyone who has access to this program (I payed for a year subscription but new users can get a 7-day trial) until I see death counts due to hunger. This should go into a research program maybe? Is it possible to get into North Korea as a tourist/student/freelance journalist/ or business meeting? Does NK ban anyone travelling from America not on "humanitarian mission"?

You bring up some very good points. I looked at the pictures and it is obvious that they have the ability to use their land for farming. Mabe the government only allows for land to be used for opium. They give their military all the opium they desire and therefore they are loyal to this retarded leader.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by smallpeeps
Sanctions seem to kill women and children. Why is that a good idea? Have they ever worked?

Sanctions? These aren't sanctions. NK hasn't had full sanctions applied to it, yet.

Is it a good idea? Well, there are lots of needy people across the planet, why should the NK get aid above them? Why should the world feed the people of NK while the government gives full rations to its troops and spends money on war programmes?

I wouldn't expect Europe to give aid packages to the people who are starving and homeless in the US, while the US has such a huge military budget. Indeed, shouldn't europe at least give state supplied medical coverage to americans, since the US governement won't???

edit to add

Don't know if i agree with the analysis, but great work on those sat photos!

[edit on 21-5-2005 by Nygdan]

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Check this out.

Zoom in on North Korea and compare it to the south and even to adjacent areas of China.

It says a lot about the situation in that country.

[edit on 21-5-2005 by HowardRoark]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join