It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA science rewriting history

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 07:19 AM
link   
www.mcall.com... /news/nationworld/chi-0505190301may19,0,3589461.story?coll=all-tjinationworld-hed&track=email_newsletter

A relatively new technology called multispectral imaging is turning a pile of ancient garbage into a gold mine of classical knowledge, bringing to light the lost texts of Sophocles and Euripides as well as some early Christian gospels that do not appear in the New Testament.

Originally developed by NASA scientists and used to map the surface of Mars, multispectral imaging was successfully applied to some badly charred Roman manuscripts that were buried during the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in A.D. 79. Examining those carbonized manuscripts under different wavelengths of light suddenly revealed writing that had been invisible to scholars for two centuries.

More at the link.

I wasnt sure where to put this mods...I expect you'll move it if need be

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 08:57 AM
link   
What?! thats amazing I hope it turns out that we can recover lots of the lost knowledge that was literally that.. lost.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I can see it now.

Senior scientist: "WOW! This system is really clearing up these charred remains!"

Assistant: "Look Boss! You can almost read it!"

Senior Scientist: "It says, it says,.......April Fools?"

LOL

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I think it's an amazing find! To identify and read lost manuscripts, wow.

Great science and thumbs up to technology

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   
The potential is nearly endless.
I wish Iraq would settle down so more people could set up shop in there. They have the greatest potential for new revelations imho

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 06:35 AM
link   
I think I erred putting this here. THe technology isnt as interesting as the result. This stuff would be more interesting to history or archeology buffs

new topics

top topics

join