It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Visit Scotland! A travel guide by CiderGood_HeadacheBad

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 07:30 PM
link   
As I am so immensely proud of my country I have decided to compile a collection of photographs to encourage you all to visit Scotland and spend lots of money...

Come visit Loch Ness, look for the monster, and purchase some authentic monster merchandise!

Visit the vibrant city of Glasgow, murder capital of Western Europe and home to the world's tallest cinema!

Take a romantic stroll down the banks of the River Clyde at sunset. Random acts of extreme violence and stepping on hypodermic needles are all part of the Glaswegian cultural experience!

Amble through Glasgow's exquisite Victorian Botanic Gardens in the city's fashionable west end.

Experience the passion, the drama, the knife crime and the intense atmosphere of the world's fiercest sporting rivalry, between Glasgow's two premier football clubs, Rangers and Celtic.

Edinburgh, with the famous castle in the centre, atop Arthur's seat - an extinct volcano. While in Scotland's capital - rather less proletarian than Glasgow - don't bother asking anyone where to find a chippie, they'll ignore you. Bastards.

The Forth Rail Bridge, a marvel of Scottish Victorian engineering, symbolic of the nation's industrial past.

The truly awe inspiring Glencoe Valley, scene of the notorious massacre of the MacDonalds by the Campbell clan.

Loch Lomond. Surely you've heard the song?

Loch Lomond again, this time in autumn, the season during which the Scottish countryside is at it's most beautiful.

Sean Connery, without question the best James Bond, wearing a kilt. Inspiring stuff.

Scotland's loyal football supporters, the Tartan Army. Everybody now! Stand up, if you hate England...Stand up, if you hate England...

A frame from Trainspotting, the best film ever made. That's Renton, a.k.a Ewan MacGregor, a.k.a Obi Wan Kanobi, climbing out of a toilet.

St. Andrews...the home of golf and much more besides, including a spectacular ruined medieval cathedral and an elitist university full of English aristocrats.

I hope I have inspired you all to visit Scotland, and spend as much money as possible on tartan, whisky and wee miniature flags. And I hope all you English folk are feeling suitably culturally inferior.

Scotland - the best country on Earth. Ever.

[edit on 18-5-2005 by CiderGood_HeadacheBad]

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Thank you for these glorious pictures. I'm of Scottish decent, but am really American as you can tell from my pro-Bush posts probably

Anyway, I've been there once before and it's fabulous. I have a tie with my Johnston tartan and a pin with the clan crest on it.

I'd love to return.

[edit on 5/18/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Good to know that you're in touch with your roots, and also that you're interested in visiting.

The tourist industry is just about all we've got going for us at the moment, besides the whisky exports and being Elephant Polo champions of the world. Where you can play elephant polo in Scotland I have no idea...

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Nice pics CiderGood, it reminds me what im missing at home while im stuck here in the states. Dont suppose you got some pics of Inverness or the Highlands you can put up for me do you? That really would bring a tear to my eye!
Love the old firm pics though Americans just dont seem to know how to behave at sporting events like we do:bash:

Take it easy mannie and thanks for the pics again.

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Nae bother Oakley. Are you from Inverness? I've never been but I might take a wee trip up there in the summer, looks like a nice town. Anyway, here's some pics shamelessly swiped from other people's websites...

The main shopping street in Inverness...

Inverness again with what looks like a cathedral to the left...

Inverness forest...

Glen Etive in the highlands somewhere. Fantastic picture ain't it?

Glencoe Valley, a more impressive picture than in the first post (the wee bagpipe guy makes it look smaller).

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Aye Im from Inverness mate but I aint set foot In Scotland for over 18 months now cos ma job keeps me away a lot and I've been living in Germany and the states for the last couple of years so that I can dodge Blairs taxes. Cant wait to get home though and get back to the normal people. Cheers for the pics mate and get yersel up to Inverness, everybody reckons its a great night out in the town.

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Will do man, could do with a change of scenery. Glasgow's lively enough but as a young man the constant threat of being nutted by a complete stranger is a bit of a put-off. And Edinburgh, well...

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Dude!!...that post is well funny....i spent alot of my youth trout fishing on the shores of loch Ranoch.....the highlands could quite possibley be the most beautifull place on earth!

Im of the 'Burns' clan myself....and in a few years im going to get a whacking great Claymore and seize back me lands with force!

regards.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 01:25 PM
link   
i LOVED the soccer pics ... brought me back some crazy memories!!! LOL... and also my my my ... Sir Sean Connery is just like Porto wine...the older the better... and of course the landscapes are lovelly too *cough cough*...

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Damn the pictures in my second post don't show up and I can't edit for some reason? Oh well...

Good to see there are more Scots on ATS than I realised. I think we bring a very tolerant and balanced world view to the forums...

Optimus, any relation to Robert?

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 08:31 AM
link   

TextOptimus, any relation to Robert?

lol...well...yeah...he was my 7 th great grand father.......check out the burns family tree in Ayreshire....youll see 3 people with the same surname at the bottom waiting to be filled in after we have our children...me,my brother and my sister...strange but true.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Ha Ha!! That was a good laugh, loved the way you were "slagging" Glasgow. Last time i was in Glasgow, the first thing one of the lovely locals said to me was "Aryt, Wha do you support!?" lol! To be on the safe side i said i didn't watch Football!
I was in Edinburgh a few weeks ago, maybe its just me, but i don't really think much of it, i was just in and out though.
The Acid House is another film showing the lovely habits and ways of the Scottish folk!

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 06:13 AM
link   
You completely left out Rosslyn chapel. The chapel with masonic carvings and with ties to Knights Templars and freemasonry. There is also the subterranean vault under it which the owners will not let anyone excavate.

posted on Nov, 24 2005 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I couldn't understand what the locals would say to me in Edinburgh, but there's lots of nice sightseeing and moderate priced shops. Nice places to stay as well!

new topics

top topics

join