It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A.I.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Hey, not sure if this topic has been done before, but at the moment I am not looking for much of a discussion, but I would just like a few questions answered, if you can answer any of them please do... thanks. Here they are:

1 - I know some forms of A.I. have been created but what is the most intelligent and independent of human input example of this?

2 - Are we (humans) in a position to create a complete A.I., one that needs nothing from humans and is a complete life form almost of itself?

3 - If this were created would there be anyway of containing it?

4 - How far do governments allow research into this area to go?

5 - Should an A.I. (of the type described in my second question) be created?

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 05:14 PM
link   
1 the phone companys AI is getting very good as long as you talk planely it will understand you a give you the correct phone number you want WITHOUT a operator ever getting involved.
2. Getting closer by the day and the realaty of it is the nessery amount of computing power has excisted for about ten years the only thing missing is the programing wich is on its way . BUT at this point in time humans are still needed for most repairs untill the robots are prefected it doesent matter how smart the computer is it needs us .
Ps the NET is were it will probly happen and it may be unintended.
3 No and NO and NO WAY . once it becomes aware and is there we cant turn it off even if we have control as turning off the net means going back to the 50des in teck and isent even possible as SO much relys on the net now a days . Ps even if the first AI isent on the net how long befor it figers out the net is there and finds a conection?
4 goverments? its not realy the goverments that want AI its the corapations think of the money to be saved and how manny people they would be able to lay off the day after AI goes on line will make the job market of today look like a boom.
5 should or shouldent doesent realy play into it as I said befor If AI isent made on purpes it will come into being by its self its not a question of IF but of when.
Ps AI will be nothing like us first a PC knows only logic meaning no matter what it decides to do it will be rachional .Unlike humans .
Dont watch so much scifi It will consider us the problem no dought about that. But its solution will be logical and blowing the world to cinders wouldent help its survival and more then ours . Its conclusion will be to bring the world to peace and foces on science only by this can it insure its on survival by insuring ours. How it accumplishes this is behond me as we havent been able to do it even after 7,000 years but this AI will make us look as smart as monkeys compaired to it . Ps of corse its probly already to late for even AI to stratin out this mess wev made.

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Knowing something about this, being that i study it to an extent, i'll atempt to answer your questions.

Originally posted by spud_in_disguise
Hey, not sure if this topic has been done before, but at the moment I am not looking for much of a discussion, but I would just like a few questions answered, if you can answer any of them please do... thanks. Here they are:

1 - I know some forms of A.I. have been created but what is the most intelligent and independent of human input example of this?

There are programs that can hold a vary basic conversation with you (think turing challenge), as Sim4R said the voice recognition programs at the moment are quite excellent. The question of what exactly intelligence really is comes into this though, for instance it is relatively simple to create a wheeled robot that will say, seek out light, avoid other robots it considers predators and find a place to recharge, but thats just a set of inbuilt functions, its a grey area as to whether what looks like intelligent behaviour actually is 'intellginet' though.

2 - Are we (humans) in a position to create a complete A.I., one that needs nothing from humans and is a complete life form almost of itself?

Yes, I believe we can, but it will take a long time, unless we create a basic intelligence that evolves on its own (which i the way i think AI should go).

Using Asimov's rules yes it could be contained. But its not perfect, as the film I Robot portrayed. So yes and no, it all depends exactly how intelligent it is and whether it runs on logic alone, or some form of 'feelings'.

They leave it be as far as i know, nothigns advanced to such an extent that they get involved, but i would guess that the military has a vested interest in AI, consider the idea and potential of artifically intelligent bombers and soilders and the like.

In my personal opinion, yes. It is one of my goals to work at the cutting edge of AI and robotics (I'm studying a Masters degee in Cybernetics), and if i were to get to such a stage i would defiently be looking to develope such AI. Partly to prove that it can be done and partly because in some ways i think it will be benefical, though it would lead to debates on robots having sould and such, but thats a religous area i'm not going to touch at the moment...

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 04:59 AM
link   
That's strange, my last reply didn't appear! Slightly scary!!

Anyway I'll try again:

But what if we created one with feeling and one human hurt it, surely it could turn against the whole race?? If it found its way onto the net our security and privacy online would be even more non-existant than it already is! It may clone itself and create more, who would do the same, and theoretically one of them must be evil, unless it was completely set to run on logic.

My point is, I cannot see a good rason to create such a 'machine'. It has the ability to put people out of work, it may turn against the bhuman race, it could invade all of our computers, what's the up side?

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 09:39 PM
link   
1. Depending on how you look at it, the answers can vary, but I'd say the VERY recent robot experiment that copied itself. It's not intelligent, but it exhibits behavior only known to living things. Otherwise, try chat bots. Advanced chat bots.

2. No, not yet.

3. Yes. Guns, nukes, EMP, making it so it doesn't need containment.

4. We're not the gov't, hence we don't know

5. Yes. If only for curiousity and scientific know how. But, more importantly, AI can be used for a number of purposes, from spaceship repairs to highway patrols to sports. Highly advantageous.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 09:46 PM
link   

I have heard it been said that there are some with the intelligance of an insect, that's the most intelligent I've heard about to date.

At this moment in time? No.

Probably not, search for the Singularity for what may happen after the advent of A.I. also note that Humans will in the next 20 years have the capability to "Upgrade" our bodies through Cybernetics and Genetics so we might actually have a chance at competing with them. A new spurt of Evolution if you will.

Dunno, I hear they have been recruiting programers and child savants to work on this very problem. They probably have Manhattan scale projects doing research into it right now.

Yes, but if it is self-aware we need to afford it some Rights and Responsiblities that are universal to all Sentient life-forms.

"I think, therefor I am"

[edit on 14-5-2005 by sardion2000]

top topics

join