It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Army Offers 15-Month Hitch

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 01:17 AM
link   
The Army is offering a fifteen month enlistment in hopes of attracting new recruits. Those who choose this term of enlistment would be eligible for 59 Military Occupational Specialties, including the infantry, would serve two years in the Reserve or the National Guard and would have the choice of serving the remainder of their eight-year obligation in the Reserve, the Guard, AmeriCorps, the Peace Corps, or the Individual Ready Reserve. The Army and the Marine Corps are struggling with enlistment quotas, while the Air Force and Navy, whose enlistees are less likely to serve in ground combat, are doing well. The fifteen month enlistment is the shortest ever offered by the Armed Forces.

www.usatoday.com
The Army, faced with a severe and growing shortage of recruits, began offering 15-month active-duty enlistments nationwide Thursday, the shortest tours ever.

The typical enlistment lasts three or four years; the previous shortest enlistment was two years.

Maj. Gen. Michael Rochelle, the head of the Army Recruiting Command, said 2006 could be even worse than this year, a continuation of "the toughest recruiting climate ever faced by the all-volunteer Army."

Recruits in the new 15-month program could serve in 59 of the more than 150 jobs in the Army, including the combat infantry, and then serve two years in the Reserve or National Guard.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It's rather a shame that the military is having to bend over backward in order to find enlistees. Fifteen months of active duty is really not long enough to get very much of a feel for military life and seems like a quick ticket to a combat tour. During the war in Vietnam, the military offered some creative enlistments and fast-track deals like the Navy's "Kiddie Cruise" and the Army's Warrant Officer chopper pilot program and other "ninety day wonders." When a nation has forgotten the price their forebears paid for the liberty they enjoy and the debt owed to their posterity, then that nation will, in due course, cease to reap their inherited freedom, but it serves them right.

Related News Links:
gnn.tv
www.foxnews.com
www.pcc-courieronline.com
www.sptimes.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Why Haven't You Enlisted?
politics.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 05/5/13 by GradyPhilpott]

[edit on 05/5/13 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 06:04 AM
link   

When a nation has forgotten the price their forebears paid for the liberty they enjoy and the debt owed to their posterity, then that nation will, in due course, cease to reap their inherited freedom, but it serves them right.

That's an excellent comment, but maybe this generation is smart enough to know they won't be remembered for defending liberty and freedom?

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 06:14 AM
link   

That's an excellent comment, but maybe this generation is smart enough to know they won't be remembered for defending liberty and freedom?

I agree with this and would like to add something to it. Not only does toays generation feel they would be abandoned in any war, but IMO, more and more people are seeing the Iraq war for what it really is and they want no part of it.

Something that should be remembered is you dont have to agree with your govermental policies to be a patriot.

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Wow they are offering 15 month Merc contracts it seems.

Defending my country from who?? Or am I liberating people? or am I stopping the spread of nuclear arms?

One thing, I wouldn't want to have to face Koreans, those people fought tooth and nail, they won't get steam rolled like Iraq forces. I consider myself Patriotic, however I'm not going to support a new world fascist order.

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   
On the flip side, America was never intended to support a standing army. It was all supposed to be "state militias" consisting of volunteers, called up at need. And if the need was greater than the supply, a draft was done. When the conflict and need was over, everyone went home to their jobs.

A bit inefficient in training, but it sure as hell cuts down on the temptation to use your military for partisan political gain. And it makes sure many more share in the burden.

And it keeps your population armed and ready, so if invaded, the volunteer locals will fight and fight hard to defend their own families, communities, etc.

Cheaper on the economy, too. With the newest generation of smart weaponry and robotic, unmanned equipment, this small, reactive military model would work excellent.

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Heh, the US has been a merc nation since WWII. Cleaning up others' problems (the French in 'nam, anyone?) to being the nation expected to supply the big guns everytime the UN decides to get off it's oil-bribed, sex-scandaled, looking-for-a-new-office arse.

I think we were doing the same for the League of Nations, too. World Policemen, and all that crap.

Originally posted by Lysergic
Wow they are offering 15 month Merc contracts it seems.

Defending my country from who?? Or am I liberating people? or am I stopping the spread of nuclear arms?

One thing, I wouldn't want to have to face Koreans, those people fought tooth and nail, they won't get steam rolled like Iraq forces. I consider myself Patriotic, however I'm not going to support a new world fascist order.

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I hope the re-enlistment problem gets so bad that politicians start sending their kids off to die, for oil.

new topics

top topics

join