It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

German Scientist Claims to Live on Sunlight

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   
German Cancer researcher Dr Michael Werner claims he has lived off nothing but Sunlight and fruit juice mixed with water for the last four years, apparently baffling his scientific colleagues:

www.dehavilland.co.uk

Cancer researcher Dr Michael Werner allegedly consumed nothing apart from water with a little added fruit juice since he started the regime - and yet has even put on weight.

The dazzling claims have persuaded the scientist's baffled colleagues to make him a focus of research - they say only plants are capable of synthesizing sunlight.

"I can't really explain what is happening on a scientific level in my case, but perhaps just a little bit of faith is all that is needed," Dr Werner wrote in his book, Living through the Energy of Light.

www.newindpress.com...
www.dailytimes.com.pk...

Yip, he's written a book...

I remember a similar book, I think linked to a cult, causing a few deaths across Europe some years back as people tried to replicate its techniques.

This also reminds me of this story, as reported by the BBC, about an Indian man who had claimed to have lived without food or water for several decades but did not attribute it to sunlight. He did submit himself to testing:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

So what's the thoughts on this? Is it possible? And if so, how?

[edit on 10-5-2005 by kegs]

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   
1) I'm extremely sceptical about this sort of stuff. Maybe the juices he used in the mix were extremely high in claories or something. I also don't know how he got around without any protein.

2) Having said that, I saw a case like that. I was in a climbing expedition, and one participant was a lady of an average build, who ate extremely little -- just half a handful of steamed rice a day. The expenditure in any hike or a climb is obviously quite substantial. She would spend time "recharging" under the sun. I know it's weird and I have trouble believeing it, but that's the truth.

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 03:00 PM
link   
This is impossible. Even if the juices were high in calories, there's no way it could contain enough protein to sustain life. I'm sure he's just making this up to sell books.

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 03:00 PM
link   
And well you should be skeptical of this. Several others who claimed to live of light and juice were found (on camera) woofing down regular food when they thought they wouldn't be caught.

Humans just ain't plants, though some of us appear to have the mental capacity of a frijole bean.

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I'm also pretty sceptical of this story, though I thought the story of the Indian man surving decades without food or water had some substance to it:

news.bbc.co.uk...

Does anyone else remember the previous book I mentioned on living on Sunlight? I remember it because one of the people found dead was a woman who went into the highlands of Scotland to try it and starved herself to death. Having trouble finding links on it, though I think (though not sure) it was connected to a religion.

It will be interesting at least to see if we hear any more on the German man's testing, or if the story will just disappear.

[edit on 10-5-2005 by kegs]

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   
another link to the indian man doing it is here at www.8bm.com...

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Heh, nice link. That's a different guy though. The one in the BBC article didn't claim to get his energy from sunlight.

The man in your link claims (and according to the link, tested by NASA) to have lived on sunlight for eight years, double the Germans claim.

I wonder just how many people claim to be able to do this...

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   
This guy has supposedly been studied by NASA.

Personally I reckon it's all bunk. Notice that the guy in the BBC article lost weight? This would seem to prove that he had previously been eating something.

Anyone remember the Breatharians?

www.breatharian.com...

They were big news a couple of years ago until somebody caught their leader at MacDonalds. Prior to that she had almost killed herself trying to prove that she could live off "pranic energy" alone.
Those who don't eat tend to die:

www.rickross.com...

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Sounds way too good to be true
According to the above links ion the 63 year old retired india that has gone without solid food for 7 years. the page (along with many many others that I came across) all stated that NASA had monitored him for 130 days.
After this, NASA supposedly then starts to back the man's claims.

DEBUNK!

We have no record of Manek: NASA

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Nice find kenshiro.
Heh. My get out clause is the use of the word "supposedly" in my post!!!

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 04:02 PM
link   
NP, I saw the "supposedly", unfortunately, there are some that will miss that and think it was all true.
Just trying to help

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Just my luck!!! Sunshine is fattening....no wonder my diet hasn't been working!

( Seriously though.....my metabolism should be studied. I can be sick a week and gain weight! )

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Nice work Kershiro. I did a bit more searching and it seems all reports are based on the same few stories. I found his site and posted a polite question on the NASA story on the message board (under Report from NASA?) So maybe we'll get an answer from the horses mouth. Doubt it though.

Leveller, the Breatharians! Thank you. That's who I was thinking of, specifically
Ellen Greve. It was her book that caused the deaths I was talking about. this is her site

In regards to the man in the BBC report 10 days with no food or water or going to the toilet, and his bladder being observed creating then re-absorbing urine is still impressive for just 'a slight loss of weight' I don't think bladder activity like think could occur in a short space of time while he still remains healthy. I don't know though, I haven't been able to find any updates since that report.

Unsurprisingly, most of this does seems bunk. I'm still interested to see what comes from this Germans declaration, though If his book is anything like Ellen Greve's the results won't be good at all...

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by kegsSo what's the thoughts on this?[/'quote]
Dishonest Fraud.

Is it possible?

Absolutely not.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Years ago "Esquire" published an article bearing that title that told the story of a man who could pierce his arms with things like icepicks without feeling any pain or bleeding. There was a photograph of him doing this. He claimed that he could go without food for days, and that on those occasions he absorbed some sort of subtle energy from the Sun.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 06:17 AM
link   
I just remembered this too: before running the piercing object thru his forearm he would drop it on the floor and roll it back and forth with his foot so it would pick up dirt, yet he never got any infections. In other words, this man seemed to be indestructible.

new topics

top topics

join