It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unexpected Discovery: Keyboards As 3-D Images

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Just a while ago, sitting before the computer, I idly de-focused my eyes as I looked at the keyboard and noticed the same depth effect one can see when staring at 3-D images out of focus. There are two changes: 1) the F keys (top row) appear in groups of two keys, at alternating distances (F1 and F2 at a deeper level, then F3 and F4 closer to the observer, then F5 and F6 at the same deep level as the first pair, then F7 and F8 at the same "shallow" depth as the second pair, and so on), and 2) the two keys on the far right of all six rows of the main block of keys are duplicated. The two small blocks of keys to the right of the main block (the middle block with three columns and the numbers block) are left out and do not participate in the effect. It sounds confusing but a careful reading will turn it into a simple matter.

Every discovery needs a name, so this ought to be called the Qwerty Effect. I hope that posting it here on this website will help me earn some exceptional bonus points so that I can change the colors of my miniprofile, which are inadequate due to poor contrast. This makes the text a little hard to read. Please understand my plight, staffers! Nobody is asking for a Nobel Prize.

new topics

join