It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

bomb alert in Manhattan (drama over)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Manhattan has closed of a bridge due to a bomb alert,
News is still coming in but from what has been said it may be due to a suspect package being found,

Just awaiting links to this story,

[edit on 6-5-2005 by asala]

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Ok seems its ok now, and the bridge has been opened.. looks like it was just a package of sorts.

Well thats good news

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I saw this on TV, a body of a jumper was found in the river earlier today, so it could just be a bag left by someone who committed suicide. But of course they need to take utmost caution nowadays.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77But of course they need to take utmost caution nowadays.

You know djohnsto, for some odd reason this post brings up a striking similarity between your comments and those of Parsons from George Orwell's 1984.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Honestly, as a lifetime New Yorker i don't even pay attention to these things anymore. Crazy right? But when you live here you get used to things like that.

There's always jumpers on the bridge. I was once coming home from Queens via the Williamsburg bridge and a guy in the outer lanes put his hazard lights on, walked to the side and took a swan dive landing on a construction site. ESU is specifically trained for cases like those and their training includes scaling bridges.

As for suspicious packages, pretty common occurence also. In the days after 9/11 there must have been a hundred a day.

Basically what happens is, whenever there is an actual inicident (example: this grenade attack) people become nervous and paranoid and are less hesitant to call the police. The police understand this, but still have to investigate each call simply because you don't want to be the cop who says don't worry and then it ends up being a real bomb.

Crazy lives we lead here I guess...

EDIT for link:
www.wnbc.com...

Backpack filled with clothes. Typical. 90% of these suspicious packages are people's laundry or gym bags. How the hell it got on the lower level is beyond me unless it was tossed out a window.

[edit on 5-6-2005 by Djarums]

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 01:09 PM
link   
It's pretty sad that people today are scared of a bag left on the side of a road.

Shutting down a bridge and traffic for hours because there is a duffle bag on a sidewalk... Give me a break. The terrorists seem to have gotten thier wish, a frightened scared society.

top topics

join