It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: New Dinosaur Species Discovered

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 09:05 AM
link   
A fossil of a never before seen species of dinasaur has been found in South Dakota. Belonging to the pachycephalosaur family, the fossil is flat headed with protruding horns, and the body would have been the size of a horse. We never suspected such a creature existed," said paleontologist Robert Bakker.

www.reuters.com
Discovery of the flat-headed member of the pachycephalosaur family changes the view of dinosaur history during the final days of the Cretaceous Period 66 million years ago, showing that family trees were still evolving even as the entire dinosaur world was about to go extinct, the Children's Museum of Indianapolis said in announcing the find.

The nearly complete pachycephalosaur skull was donated to the museum by three amateur fossil hunters from Iowa who found it in 2003 while exploring the Hell Creek Formation in central South Dakota.

The discovery was announced in Indianapolis in conjunction with the annual meeting of the American Association of Museums.

The museum said the pachycephalosaur family is marked by dragon-like heads covered with horns, knobs and bumps. The most famous family member, Pachycephalosaurus, had a solid, domed bone helmet up to eight inches (20 cm) thick used to ram other dinosaurs in their sides, it said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Paleontologists will need to revamp their pachycephalosaur family tree due to the fact that most have "a solid, domed bone helmet up to eight inches (20 cm) thick." The only other version that did not have a dome, which was discovered in China and Mongolia, did not have a long flat skull and was not covered with bumps and horns.

Related News Links:
www.cbv.ns.ca
www3.sympatico.ca
www.dinoworld.net

[edit on 3-5-2005 by mpeake]

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Great find, that is one beastly looking dragon creature! That brings to mind some Revelations-type creatures. I'm thinking, if those amateur archaeologists can do it, then SO CAN I. Time to don my safari hat and go diggin'. Too bad I've never even found an arrowhead...

Zip

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Cool find, I thought it looked like a croc, but I can see the dragon in it.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I agree...looks like an old croc to me. They say that crocs have not changed much in millions of years.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I agree, croc was the first thing that came to mind for me when looking at the skull. It would be interesting if there were more than just a skull found, that could shed light on the rest of the build of the animal.

new topics

top topics

join