It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DNA biocomputer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Is anyone here familiar with the idea that life on earth is actually the result of a complex “bio-computer” program that operates on the genome level using DNA algorithms?

In other words, humans only exist, because we are the latest and greatest iteration of the DNA program that has been running since the beginning of life on Earth.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by HowardRoark
Is anyone here familiar with the idea that life on earth is actually the result of a complex “bio-computer” program that operates on the genome level using DNA algorithms?

In other words, humans only exist, because we are the latest and greatest iteration of the DNA program that has been running since the beginning of life on Earth.

I started a thread called "protein structures and intelligent design", in reading on that I found this:

Using sophisticated computer algorithms running on standard desktop computers, researchers have designed and constructed a novel functional protein that is not found in nature. The achievement should enable researchers to explore larger questions about how proteins evolved and why nature “chose” certain protein folds over others.

Thought it fit in with what you posted, very interesting stuff

"building protein
structures"

my thread

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   
What you mean like in HitchHikers Guide to the Galaxy?
I frankely see not one piece empiracal evidance to support such a "theory". Frankely I believe ID is a load of Dingo's Kidneys to put it mildly

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Some information on this:

that the evolution of biosystems has created genetic "texts", similar to context dependent texts in human languages, shaping the text of these speech-like patterns,
2. that the chromosome apparatus acts simultaneously both as a source and receiver of these genetic texts, respectively decoding and encoding them and
3. that the chromosome continuum of multicellular organisms is analogous to a static-dynamical multiplex time-space holographic grating, which comprises the space-time of an organism in a convoluted form.

www.bcs.org.uk...

twm.co.nz...

1) That the evolution of biosystems has created genetic "texts", similar to natural context dependent texts in human languages, shaping the text of these speech-like patterns.
2) That the chromosome apparatus acts simultaneously both as a source and receiver of these genetic texts, respectively decoding and encoding them, and
3) That the chromosome continuum of multicellular organisms is analogous to a static-dynamical multiplex time-space holographic grating, which comprises the space-time of an organism in a convoluted form.
That is to say, the DNA action, theory predicts and which experiment confirms,
i) is that of a "gene-sign" laser and its solitonic electro-acoustic fields, such that the gene-biocomputer "reads and understands" these texts in a manner similar to human thinking, but at its own genomic level of "reasoning". It asserts that natural human texts (irrespectively of the language used), and genetic "texts" have similar mathematical-linguistic and entropic-statistic characteristics, where these concern the fractality of the distribution of the character frequency density in the natural and genetic texts, and where in case of genetic "texts", the characters are identified with the nucleotides, and ii) that DNA molecules, conceived as a gene-sign continuum of any biosystem, are able to form holographic pre-images of biostructures and of the organism as a whole as a registry of dynamical "wave copies" or "matrixes”, succeeding each other. This continuum is the measuring, calibrating field for constructing its biosystem.

www.rialian.com...

Basically the idea is that life only esists to propigate DNA. This is done in a complex biological "program" similer to a computer program. As the physical conditions on the planet change, the program adjusts itself. (i.e. evolution happens).

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Note that I am not talking about "Intelligent Design," but rather something much more basic here.

Or at least something that is not really in keeping with the concept of "God" as commonly stated.

Rather this is about how life in general evolved on earth.

A fundamental concept of biology.

[edit on 2-5-2005 by HowardRoark]

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Heh I was just trying to be funny Howard
Just saw HitchHikers the Movie and been quoting Adams alot lately sry if I misunderstood yer thread. I'll read through your links and give a more thoughtfull reply later on.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I have read the links you provided, admittedly way over my head. Once wondering if you could explain this to me..

Excerpt: "...mutations on demand were termed 'adaptive mutations', as they suggested that bacterial cells could choose to mutate just those genes they needed to adapt and survive"..."The problem with adaptive mutations is that no one can figure a way that information can travel backwards from the environment to DNA, to mutate certain genes. Myself and a physicist colleague, Jim Al-Khalili, recently proposed a novel solution: that DNA may exist in quantum states that are able to sample multiple mutational states simultaneously. "from your link above.

Does this mean the 'evolution' of cells was done in the subatomic world and then 'transferred' to the cells once it was perfected in the sub-atomic? Is there anyway to put this in layman terms for me.

As to my ID statement, I wasn't trying to make any statements about ID here, I was pointing out a link to where researcher's had used computer algorithms to build these protein strucures, and thought your thread was giving a possible naturall explaination to this. It was a secular research project and makes no claims to design, I used it to infer a design link in my own thread, wasn't trying to do that here. Click the building protein structure link I gave above to see the research project.

[edit on 2-5-2005 by Rren]

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 04:03 PM
link   
To be perfectly honest, a lot of it is a little too esoteric to me also.

I first stumbled on this concept in Charles Pellegrino’s book Ghosts of Vesuvius, and am trying to figure it out a bit myself.

Here is a slightly less technical explanation of the idea
www.scitv.com...

I guess my interpretation of the concept is thus:

If genomes and DNA function like a bio-computer, then is the entire biosphere analogous to a giant networked system? Is this a computer whose programs are directed toward the survival of the DNA.

I'm sorry, I don't think I have done a very good job of articulating this so far.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Could this mean God was not a being yet a race ?

0_o

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheJeSta
Could this mean God was not a being yet a race ?

0_o

No.

I am talking about life being driven at a much more fundamental level then previously thought, where evolution is not so much a mater of random chance as it is a built in set of backup programs and redundencies.

new topics

top topics

join