It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Tax Dollars At Work: Defense Dept. Program Taking Terror Bets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I hope this makes some of you sleep better at night, knowing that they are TAKING BETS on if you will live or die in a terrorist attack.

Program Models 'Futures' Markets

POSTED: 3:20 p.m. EDT July 28, 2003

A new Department of Defense program allows traders to bet on the likelihood of future terrorist attacks.

The department's "Defense Advanced Research Project Agency" designed what it calls the "The Policy Analysis Market."

The program works much like the financial markets where traders buy and sell "futures" based on the possibility of a specific event in the Middle East, 11 News reported.

Some of the examples listed on the agency's Web site include the assassination of Palestinian leader Yassar Arafat and a missile attack by North Korea. Bidders would profit if the events for which they hold futures occur.

Defense officials said the market-based system is highly accurate when assessing such things as political and civil stability, economic health and military disposition of Middle East countries.

Participants would only have to pick a username and password to participate and the agency said it won't have access to their identities or funds.

But critics said this allows terrorists who are planning an attack to profit on the assault or even make false bets to mislead authorities.

www.thewbalchannel.com...

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Thats nice of them!

We did have a betting pool b4 Saddam was overthrown which involved the officers *i use that term lightly with some of those arses* making bets on who would be the first to get targeted:

George Bush or Tony Blair

Once the MoD found out.....

*imagine 3 officers getting they're arses fried on the pantry stove*

Yeouch!!!!!!!

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 07:30 PM
link   
As sick as such a "dead pool" is, I can understand that from a small private group of individuals. But the DOD doing this AS AN AGENCY? And for the point of profit???

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Yeah, I just say this on the news tonight....
Very bad idea.....
The futures market is a 'scam' anyhoo....
Irregardless, this idea and proposal for allowing such a program is idiotic and, as always, will be motivated by greed and powerful individuals.
It was claimed that the "future markets," for which this program would fall into, make for individuals who are well versed in information concerning such speculations.
Sounds more like a line of BS or perhaps the world is really being controlled by "powerful individuals" that "play" the ongoing world events as a betting game......
Almost like one heading to the Kentucky Derby, eh?!
This is a bad idea, need to dump it.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Welcome to the Bush administration.

The last say in crony capitalism, where your cronies are appointed to make decisions about where contracts go, and own the companies where contracts go.

Where 9/11 is the last horse you needed to complete the 'trifecta' and you go and invade a sovereign nation on trumped-up fabrications and forgeries.

Where your cronies include your pretend "enemies", and now you can profit from actions planned and taken by either side.

This is the USA today.

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Ok, try and convince me again how our government isn't the same as the mob. "The Policy Analysis Market" is just a BULLSH!T way of saying "Bookie". Hello???? Let me spell this out for all the dumb motha f'ers out there in fantasy land who still think their government has their best intrest in mind:

"The Dept. of Defence" (aka: The Mob/Organized Crime) is going to use our "Tax Dollars which we pay them to keep us safe" (aka: extortion money paid under force so the payer doesn't get attacked by the payee) and use it to set up "The Policy Analysis Market" (aka: The Bookie) who then will take bets on our lives and saftey from death or injury as a result of them not doing what they are paid to do.

Here's what I think:

1. The rich C@CKSUCKERS gambling on innocent lives, now have a great way of placing their money on something that they can, and will, make sure happens!

2. Even though Gambling is illegal in all but 2 States (aside from indian land, International Waters, or Lottery) apparently it is now totally fine to set up a GAME of Life or Death with our lives, that they can play instead of doing what the hell they are supposed to be doing.

3. Does absolutly nothing for gaining intelligence data, don't let that SH!T of an excuse slide. Because a possible Terrorist could also influence the betting stats, and/or anyone else betting wouldn't have any idea to what a terrorist is going to do, or they too are the terrorist!!!!! Get it now?!?!?!?!?

4. I'll tell everyone how you can make it rich right now. If someone I know and love gets killed by a terrorist act, find out who the big winners are and place all your money that they will be beaten, castrated and savagely killed by a newly created terrorist of the upmost psychotic and P!SSED OFF mind set ever witnessed. I'll even keep ya posted on my progress so you'll know when to cash out!

posted on Jul, 29 2003 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Just another evidence on how much of a "game" some think this all is. You got to be really desperate to even think about such things, where's the human dignity ?

Life is not a game, and terror attacks either, actions like this is nothing more like inviting more violence, bet on another huge attack and make sure it happen so you can collect... I'm really concern about those in charge these days, some have crazy ideas...

posted on Jul, 29 2003 @ 04:58 PM
link   
its all over... for now.

The Pentagon has abandoned plans to set up a controversial online trading market to help predict terrorist attacks.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 29 2003 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Or so they say they have.... it will likely be back under a different and less obvious name.

posted on Aug, 1 2003 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I guess Mr.& Mrs Teen America just can't wait to sign up to fight for these ghouls.

posted on Aug, 2 2003 @ 05:07 AM
link   
A piece of ill-timed folly, propaganda-wise. At least it appears to have led to the (no doubt temporary) removal of the odious and villainous Poindexter from the frame.

top topics

join