It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: 'Desperate Housewife' Laura Grabs Stage from Bush

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 01:00 PM
link   
First lady Laura Bush stole the show last night with a surprise comedy routine that ripped President Bush and brought a huge audience that included much of official Washington and some Hollywood stars to a standing ovation at a dinner that was honoring award-winning journalists.

abcnews.go.com
First Lady Laura Bush grabbed the stage from President Bush at the White House correspondents annual dinner on Saturday and confessed to all his early bedtimes had turned her into a "desperate housewife."

Laura Bush, who is often seen smiling sweetly at her husband's side, stood up just in time to rescue the audience of political heavyweights and Hollywood celebrities from Bush's retelling of a joke about steel rail "cattle guards" that bombed before a Montana town meeting in March.

"Not that old joke — not again," Laura Bush said, as her husband willingly relinquished the stage.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I found this story while flipping channels last night and tried my best to find a full video of what took place, but could only find two that contained almost the whole comedy routine she did.

I do not care if you are a democrat or a republican, trust me you will get more then one good laugh after viewing these, enjoy, I know my family and I did.

www.wral.com...
Then click on link to video

www.cnn.com...
Then click on the link to video under politics

I doubt Bob Hope, bless his sole, could have done better then she did last night.

[edit on 5/1/2005 by shots]

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Who knew that our First Lady was such a hoot?

Here is a great bit from the story:

She outlined a typical evening: "Nine o'clock, Mr. Excitement here is sound asleep and I'm watching `Desperate Housewives'." Comedic pause. "With Lynne Cheney. Ladies and gentlemen, I am a desperate housewife."

It's a good thing that she was there to rescue the audience from Bush's cattleguard joke!

If you're reading this and you have not checked out the video link yet, I urge you to do so. It's hilarious!

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 01:48 PM
link   
The really odd thing was the full CNN coverage this morning where they showed the clip alongside an interview earlier this week where Laura was specifically asked if she watched "Desperate Housewives" and she said no. :shk:

Well that and the fact there's such "major" news coverage of a staged black tie routine at all.

Not that I wouldn't mind if George and Gracey (I mean Laura) quit their day job.

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Is she as cool a liar as her hubby?

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 01:53 PM
link   

The really odd thing was the full CNN coverage this morning where they showed the clip alongside an interview earlier this week where Laura was specifically asked if she watched "Desperate Housewives" and she said no.

Just a thought but perhaps that is what gave her the idea of using that line. You have to admit though she was a hoot.

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   
And just what does the First Lady telling scripted jokes have to do with ATS??? Anyone can be funny with a paid staff of speech writers. Sure, it was a hoot, but when you consider that her husband has made a mess of the economy, is trying to give away the Social Security System to his Wall Street buddies, and is a lying War monger, I wonder why people let them selves get so distracted from more important issues by a good Jay Leno routine???

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Jesus climb off the soap box a moment and laugh. I watched it and thought it was funny and I think Bush is an idiot.

God I am glad I am a Libetrarian so I can laugh at both sides

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 04:33 PM
link   
No, it wasn't funny. It was pretty lame, and I felt embarrassed for her. But it's not her fault, almost all political people look lame when they try to be funny. A staff of professional writers doesn't make you a "hoot". I thought the funniest part was when the camera kept panning to Jane Fonda and Al Franklin to see thier reaction. Like, "Gee, will Jane Fonda laugh? The suspense is killing me!"

Although I applaud her from staying away from the Weapons of Mass destruction jokes.

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Well I did find it funny, very much so in fact!

Whether she wrote all of the speech or not, she delivered it with grace, charm and wit. These are desirable qualities in the First Lady.

At least we can trust Laura not to insult anyone or use foul language!

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I thought the funniest part was when she said that she, Condi Rice, Karen Hughes and Lynn Cheney went to Chippendale's and ran into the Madame Justices of the Supreme Court.

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I think the reason that Laura Bush included the Desperate housewives
joke was BECAUSE CNN asked her that earlier in the week..
edit: I see that shots already said this. GMTA

Just like she "interrupted" George while he was talking.
Which was a joke directed at him being interrupted by some networks, earlier this week while giving a speech on Social Security..

[edit on 1-5-2005 by spacedoubt]

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 07:09 PM
link   

No, it wasn't funny. It was pretty lame, and I felt embarrassed for her. But it's not her fault, almost all political people look lame when they try to be funny. A staff of professional writers doesn't make you a "hoot". I thought the funniest part was when the camera kept panning to Jane Fonda and Al Franklin to see thier reaction. Like, "Gee, will Jane Fonda laugh? The suspense is killing me!"

Let me guess you do not have a sense for humor do you. No Offense meant mind you. You might want to come down off the platform and join the majority of those posting, wither it was scripted or not, it was very funny to the majority especially since she was taking digs at her own husband.

There is more to life they saying it is lame ya know. Everyone I talked to loved it, but I guess there are always a few that will disagree, that is your choice, it is after all a free nation. Better then living in China where one can not say do do about the government.

Once again I say she did a great job

[edit on 5/1/2005 by shots]

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Whether she wrote all of the speech or not, she delivered it with grace, charm and wit. These are desirable qualities in the First Lady.

At least we can trust Laura not to insult anyone or use foul language!

Well you have to admit she did get kind of racy when she mentioned the horse. But that goes to show you she is very down to earth with most of us, since we all do the very same

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Just saw it, very funny it was too. Brings George down a peg or too, and makes them both seem like normal people like anyone else. Laughed when she mentioned how George tackled every problem at the Ranch with a chainsaw.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Good script.
and well delivered.

Too bad it is being performed while the nation's southern border is leaking like a sieve and ready to hemorage.

Is the rest of the nation out of touch with reality too, or is it just the upper crust elite?

fiddling while rome burns.

[edit on 2-5-2005 by slank]

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 02:50 AM
link   
i always hate cheesy american jokes that are clean and in good fun so that the masses may soak them all up.

Why cant she tell really dirty jokes?!?!

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I think George Bush is the worst president of my lifetime, and I go back to Eisenhower, but now, I think Laura Bush is the funniest first Lady ever. Glad I got to see it.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Roadscholar
Whether she wrote all of the speech or not, she delivered it with grace, charm and wit.

There's no doubt in my mind that she had nothing to do with writing it, but her delivery and timing were good. It was funny in an Andy Griffith sort of way I guess. What really annoyed me were the cutaways to Condeleeza Rice showing her laughing so hard that it looked like she was going to throw up one of her organs. Give me a freakin' break Condi, it wasn't that funny!!!

Peace

[edit on 2-5-2005 by Dr Love]

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love

There's no doubt in my mind that she had nothing to do with writing it, but her delivery and timing were good.

[edit on 2-5-2005 by Dr Love]

That is your opinion and you are entitled to it, however only she knows what time the president goes to sleep at night, which shoots your theory all to haties.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Anyone got an MPG or MOV or Mac compatible AVI?

I'm plug-in-poor.

Sounds kind of funny, but I can't watch it in the streaming format.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join