It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are the information gathering groups sharing info with the government?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Anyway I am looking for any news about this sharing info with the government, if you have any saved websites or anything on it plese sahre. TIA. I ask this due to I heard that shortly after 911 these grooups offered all this info to the government and began working with them to catch the trrorists. I'm assuming this includes companies that gather info through the cards we use to purchase items that eventually build an idea of our hobbies, who we owe, what books we purchase, what music we purchase, etc.. I am wondering if this also includes those companies that uses those spyware programs that they install without our knowlege. Currently there is a lawsuit about this and I am wondering if these are the ones involved being used by our gov. if there is any possilbe way the lawsuit can be won?
cnn.netscape.cnn.com.../ff/story/0001%2F20050428%2F1020774874.htm&sc=1333
ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) - New York Attorney General Eliot Spitzer on Thursday sued a major Internet marketer, claiming the company installed ``spyware'' and ``adware'' that secretly install nuisance pop-up advertising on screens which can slow and crash personal computers.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Goose, I'm sure that any information on this site and also on other sites is being gleened by some sort of govt. agency looking for "subversives". What makes me hot is all the new powers of the dept. of H. Security has. Talk about an abuse of power this one is the real deal. Kiss your civil rights and a few other things goodbye.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 08:46 PM
link   
FLYIN HIGH is correct, here are a few links of interest:

www.dhs.gov...
www.siliconvalleywatcher.com...

www.foxnews.com...

www.prnewswire.com.../www/story/04-05-2005/0003331973&EDATE=

www.prnewswire.com.../www/story/04-25-2005/0003484735&EDATE=

www.newstarget.com...

www.newstarget.com...

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 12:32 AM
link   
One of the most shocking things for me is the number of people who say I am not doing anything wrong so I don't care if they look at my personal records. You would not believe the number of people who say this. Sometimes I think the only thing going to shake these people is a cavity search but by then it will be too late.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by goose
One of the most shocking things for me is the number of people who say I am not doing anything wrong so I don't care if they look at my personal records. You would not believe the number of people who say this. Sometimes I think the only thing going to shake these people is a cavity search but by then it will be too late.

I certainly agree goose. Datamining is a thriving business. Pidgeonholing net demographics bestows tremendous power to gov/big biz from predicting online behavior, thought patterns/ideologies, personal preferences/habits/ idiosyncracies to pinpoint accuracy of user locations. Like a law of net efficiency where concepts like robust or streamline determine the direction of coding/language refinement techniques going from entertainment/informative tool to surveillance/reconnaissance weapon.
For instance LexisNexis just released Accurint(R) SureContact(TM), a new skip tracing product combining innovative Accurint technology with additional LexisNexis data content to help the collections industry better locate debtors. IMO everyday I see the net/web taking on it's more insidious definition. Sleepers must awaken.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 05:37 AM
link   
I know here where I live they have savings cards at the local grocery stores. Kroger is the store of my choice and by using the cards they issue so you can "save money on groceries" here, they are gathering info. on how you shop while in their store. This is fine by me up to the point that they claim to "never share" your info. to a 3rd. party. This is just b.s. to me. If you had access to a database of let's say 2 million people whom shop at the store, sooner or later that info. compiled by that store on your purchasing selections will make it's way to a 3rd. party garunteed almost. The geedy people who have to depend on sales for a living whould cut their arms off for info. such as this. I do not have any faith of them saying they do not share their info. with anyone else.
P.S. The govt. will and can get anything it wants anytime or place.

[edit on 3-5-2005 by FLYIN HIGH]

new topics

top topics

join