It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Psychic ability and the Mentally ill.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I was just wondering if there was any research that you guys know of about this topic. I did a basic google search, and get alot about "mentally ill.....or psychic abilitys.

We all know of people. like a Savant, like the guy in "Rain Man" who can do great mental feats, but yet cannot fuction in everyday life.

And is there not some "mental state" (for my lack of a better term) in which people have extreme religious experiences. Can't think of the name of it, i remember seeing a movie on that one time also....

But has anyone heard of someone developing, or increasing the psi abilities, because of a mental illness? And, now that i think of it, if they did would the doctors, or care givers, just think of this as part of that persons illness?

Just wondering.... (had some time to "kill" at work
)

SpectreWithin

[edit on 30-4-2005 by SpectreWithin]

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I read somewhere, I think in "Your Sixth Sense", that traumatic experiences have opened many up to psi experiences. Near death and oobe's seem to leave one more open to paranormal abilities also. And also, and I forget what book this is from, that people with mental disorders are more likely to witness ufo's, and claim hauntings and to have psi powers. That line of thinking was based on these peoples beliefs, and most say you have to believe for psi to happen.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 02:33 AM
link   
I dont know of any research but its something worth checking out.

I view people who are mentally ill as people trapped between realities. I believe they are functining in their world according to whats going on but we are on the outside looking in so ofcourse they seem crazy. By our standards anyway.

I've been able to tap in and calm some people. I can connect soemtime but I cannot enter. Too dangerous for me at this time anyway. Mentally I tell them I know you are lost, I understand. Focus.

My abilities although inate, were activated by trauma. I suffer from mild mental illness such as depression and anxieties etc. At the same time I know Im feeling others pain and sadness and the anxieties are the emotions of other people through empathy/telepathy. These abilites cannot be controlled. I have not practiced. It's just certain people and certain environments that bring it out. Some say the voices , I call them extra thoughts do not originate from the host in opinion/experience. Theres a greater connection be it spirits, angels, demons, etc.

I really think the connection between mental illness and mental ability should be examined. I firmly believe that people labeled with mental illness are functioning on a level that modern medicine cant explain so its easier to dismiss them and feed them drugs.

When I think Mentally Ill , Half Way Home comes to mind. I agree with this more as I seek ascension and notice how detached Im becoming from this world.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I too believe that the people we call mentaly ill are simply in-tune with other realms and frequencies which explains perfectly well their behaviour and what they claim to see.

The biological "de-fect" that happens in the brain is simply the psyical manifestation of the shift into other realms and frequencies.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Nicely put. Love the terminology

EDIT: Could this be the missing link that science overlooked. I've heard they cannot locate any spot in the brain that controls psychic or other abilities.

Should they be going the route of mental illness?? Seems to be the door they need to knock on.

People with mild mental illness may be the ones who are known as psychic or other but those with hardcore illnesses may hold the key.

[edit on 3-5-2005 by DragonflyKingdom]

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Scientists at Washington University in St. Louis, MO have released findings from a recent study concerning a region of the brain called the anterior cingulate cortex, or ACC. They associate this sector of the brain both with a possible 'sixth sense' and mental illness.

In an article titled Brain study points to 'sixth sense', Joshua Brown, Ph.D. tells us this:

"In the past, we found activity in the ACC when people had to make a difficult decision among mutually exclusive options, or after they made a mistake," Brown said. "But now we find that this brain region can actually learn to recognize when you might make a mistake, even before a difficult decision has to be made. So the ACC appears to act as an early warning system -- it learns to warn us in advance when our behavior might lead to a negative outcome, so that we can be more careful and avoid making a mistake."

Implications for mental illness
The ACC has been the focus of intensive scientific research in recent years because it plays a critical role in the brain's processing of especially complex and challenging cognitive tasks. Abnormalities in the region are closely associated with a host of serious mental problems, including schizophrenia and obsessive-compulsive disorder.

See Also: www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 2/5/05 by Roadscholar]

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Most children with autism have phychic abilities. They're just on the wrong fequency kind of like a radio station you just have to tune them in and if you don't tune them they flick from station to station not knowing wat frequency we're on. They can often read minds and such but they cant flick to the right frequency unless they have help.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Finally back.

So easy to lose posts.

Anyway, I can totally see that with the autistic children. Many grow up to be highly functioning intellegent people who do function on a different frequency as far as learning but meets and/or exceeds some of us when its time to get the job done.

When I was younger, I babysat an autistic child. He was a nightmare but I could calm him and he was curious of me as well. Possibly seen/felt my abilities before I did. He was very intellegent and new exactly what he was doing and he knew I knew that. He's about 19 now in some group home inthe berkshires. I see his mother almost once a week. I just wish he was out in the world but Im not sure if he's that functional.

Anyway, Im going to read up on that link. I'd love to join that study or something similar. Maybe my place is as a lab rat although thats the very reason I avoid professional help with this.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 12:05 PM
link   
It seems that alot of those with intellectual problems or damage have less 'mental crap' juggleing around in their heads and that allows for more pure thought and deep self recongnition and perceptions. Also, they are often times more pure of heart and not full of pride and ego that usualy blocks alot of this out too.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 01:32 AM
link   
I agree but I wouldnt exactly say intellectual problems we should just leave it a mental problems because it effects intellect for some, but goes in other directions for others and I have no doubt that some individuals labeled incompetent or retarded are more intellegent than many people but functioning on a different wavelength so to speak.

I know for a fact I operate on a level that people around me dont understand, thats where much conflict originates until they find the connection that links them to the method of my madness.

I definately agree that the young and people detached from this reality are able to view the big picture without the pollution that clouds our mind.

join