It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone into computers here?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2003 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Today when I rebooted my computer I saw this weird program shutting down message thing that said "SEAL synchronization service now shutting down" I haven't seen anything like this before on my computer. Just wondering if anyone knows what it might be.

posted on Jul, 27 2003 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Do you see it everytime you boot up?

posted on Jul, 27 2003 @ 11:40 PM
link   
It just happened today-- and my computer is acting very irractic... almost as if Im getting a denial of service attack...

posted on Jul, 27 2003 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I've never seen that before.
Are you certain that's exactly what it says?
Does it happen when you start up or shut down your computer?
Have you installed any new programs recently?
Are you running a firewall & virus protection?

-B.

posted on Jul, 27 2003 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Banshee
I've never seen that before.
Are you certain that's exactly what it says?
Does it happen when you start up or shut down your computer?
Have you installed any new programs recently?
Are you running a firewall & virus protection?

-B.

I installed black ice defender firewall the other day maybe thats it. I dunno Seal sounds something militaryish to me.

posted on Jul, 27 2003 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShubyDoo
I installed black ice defender firewall the other day maybe thats it. I dunno Seal sounds something militaryish to me.

it's probably your firewall. unless it's some sort of spy/adware that was installed along with Kazaa or another filesharing app. those are big on installing stuff without your knowledge.

posted on Jul, 27 2003 @ 11:52 PM
link   

If you never saw this message before installing BlackICE, it's probably a pretty good bet that it's coming from that program.
Run a spyware program like AdAware ( www.lavasoft.de... ) and an updated virus scan to make sure there's nothing wonky on your system; otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

-B.

posted on Jul, 27 2003 @ 11:53 PM
link   
SEAL Project meeting minutes

try this

tut tut

posted on Jul, 27 2003 @ 11:57 PM
link   
here on second thought
try this

tut tut

posted on Jul, 27 2003 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Oh man... whats THAT doing on MY Computer????

posted on Jul, 27 2003 @ 11:59 PM
link   
seal.web.cern.ch...

third time is always the charm

tut tut lol

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 12:01 AM
link   

If you never saw this message before installing BlackICE, it's probably a pretty good bet that it's coming from that program.
Run a spyware program like AdAware ( www.lavasoft.de... ) and an updated virus scan to make sure there's nothing wonky on your system; otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

-B.

Are you sure its not something THEY are monitoring my computer with? I do have a buddy in the military that does "stuff"

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Are you sure its not something THEY are monitoring my computer with? I do have a buddy in the military that does "stuff"

Well, the organization that seems to have produced whatever this thing is isn't military.
public.web.cern.ch...

How are you connected to the internet?
Laptop or PC?
Are you a nuclear physicist?

This is certainly interesting...
-B.

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Hey, that's a cute little dead boy come back to life in your avatar Banshee!

If I find anything on my PC that got through my flyscreen window I generally kill it.

In my experience, spyware and adware are not really that much of a concern except when you have given away your email addy.

Come to think of it, why do I get so many penis enlargement ads these days? Never filled out a form on that dimension...

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
Hey, that's a cute little dead boy come back to life in your avatar Banshee!

If I find anything on my PC that got through my flyscreen window I generally kill it.

In my experience, spyware and adware are not really that much of a concern except when you have given away your email addy.

Come to think of it, why do I get so many penis enlargement ads these days? Never filled out a form on that dimension...

*quietly applies a twisting chin-lock to MA when he's not looking*

To be honest, I'm only mildly concerned about spyware/adware too. I don't keep anything sensitive on my computer, and if someone wants to know that I visit innocent websites, more power to 'em.
Besides, I have so many filters and adkillers and other tweaks on this box that I rarely even see an ad (targeted or not) anymore.
*cranks MA's head around a little more*
But I'm not one to fault another for being concerned about what's on their computer. Shuby likely has very little to be worried about, espeically if he's on a dialup and with no big secrets to hide.

And, MA, re: the amazing growing genital ads,
Perhaps if you'd stop visiting www.IWishIHadAHugeWang.com every Monday & Thursday, you wouldn't get those solicitations.
Maybe you should be more concerned about spyware... never know which crazy wrestler is watching.

*trying...not...to...laugh*
-B.

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Banshee

(Reversing chinlock while holding Banshee's arms and guiding them between Banshee's legs in a temporary restraining hold)...

Invasion of one's privacy through cyber-means is to me the same as invasion of privacy anywhere else, but it's not outlawed yet. Spying and hacking are pretty much the same as illegal phone wire tapping in my opinion, only a lot easier and with the potential to do damage to property.

That's why, in my happily unextended state, I agreed to be the only Caucasian "After" model for www.IWishIHadAHugeWang.com ... they promised me privacy (as there is no graphic link between the photo of my member and this member), and I thought it would be obvious I wouldn't need those spammed emails after that, as well.

You just can't trust enlargement program providers these days.

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Well, the organization that seems to have produced whatever this thing is isn't military.
public.web.cern.ch...

How are you connected to the internet?
Laptop or PC?
Are you a nuclear physicist?

This is certainly interesting...
-B.

I have a laptop and a pc... but I am definantly NOT a nuclear physicist... weird. I have had problems with shall we say supercomputers in the past invading my home computer... they must like me for some reason. Maybe because I leave my computer on all the time or something who knows.

top topics

join