It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Horse Cloned in U.S.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 05:24 PM
link   
www.livescience.com...

First Horse Clone in North America
April 28: COLLEGE STATION, Texas (AP) _ A team of French and American researchers has successfully cloned a horse, Texas A&M University officials announced Wednesday. The foal was named Paris Texas. The university believes it's the first successful cloned horse in North America; horses have previously been cloned in Italy.

"Look at him, he's gorgeous,'' Katrin Hinrichs, the lead scientist on the project said just before the six-week-old, light brown foal made his public debut. He whinnied and walked up to several photographers who snapped his picture. "He's very bold,'' said Hinrichs, a professor at Texas A&M's College of Veterinary Medicine. She also heads the school's Equine Embryo Laboratory. A&M researchers used adult horse skin cells biopsied from a valuable horse in Europe to clone the foal, born March 13. The process took 400 attempts over a four-month period. Six embryos were created but only one was successfully gestated in a host horse named Greta during a pregnancy that lasted 12 1/2 months. Horses usually have an 11-month gestation.

Cryozootech, A&M's Paris-based partner, is dedicated to preserving the genes of exceptional horses for their use in producing cloned offspring, though there are no guarantees Paris Texas will turn out exactly the same as the donor horse. The first cloned cat was born at the school Dec. 22, 2001. Since then, the university has cloned several litters of pigs, a Boer goat, a disease-resistant Angus bull, the first Brahma bull and a deer. -- Associated Press

wow...

maybe, humans will be next...

ENJOY!!!

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 05:27 PM
link   
They Don't Clone Horses, Do They?

First a Sheep.

Now a Horse.

I suggest a Monkey next!

Great Find!

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
They Don't Clone Horses, Do They?

First a Sheep.

Now a Horse.

I suggest a Monkey next!

Great Find!

thanks...

if the conspiracy theories are not true, then we should clone the first human soon...

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I never fully understood the point of cloning. Can someone please explain why any1 would want to clone ppl while we cant evan feed all the people that are already here

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Stronger genetic makeup, when we can perfectly clone something thats quite a step up from the old genetic engineering. Once we figure out that dang, genome problem. People will be able to live longer with better attributes and all genetic disease can be eliminated.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Do you think they'll ever actually let us a clone a human? I don't think so...not publically anyway.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArchangelOfCool
Do you think they'll ever actually let us a clone a human? I don't think so...not publically anyway.

yes...

you are right...

its "murder"...

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArchangelOfCool

Never publically, I would put money its either in the works, or developed and living in a controled environment (or not). I'm sure it wouldn't cost as much for that as it does a minority of our war budget.

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Well like in star wars they cloned millions of troops to fight in wars

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 10:43 PM
link   
What about cloned body parts for transplant patients? Growth rate would be a factor. The applications seem endless.

I'm not in favor of potentially polluting the genepool with some genetic virus or something by messing around with the sanctity of human life and re-creating the whole package, but there are targeted applications, like transplants, or gene therapy for those with inherited conditions or mutated genes that can be 'respliced' or whatever it would be called.

Lots of potential for the science, ethically applied, to be of great benefit to society. Once we get around the novelty, or I guess, perfect the art, of cloning things just because we can, and start using it for what we need.

new topics

top topics

join