It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newest Fad - Happy Slapping!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 12:18 PM
link   
were there other people around that did nothing ? thats as big a problem, imho, as most of the crooks in the UK don't carry handguns, correct ? Most bully types fols as soon as someone stands up to them......

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
I wont describe myself as a tough guy, but they better prey this never happens to me or my family.

I have seen video's of this, and moslty they prey on people who obviously cannot deffend themselves, or when they have advantage of numbers.

This btw, is the prime reason we need cameras everywhere. The polics cannot react in tim to this sort of crime, so our only hope is to catch them on video.

I very much disagree on the camera stuff.

About prey on people that can't defend themselves.

Thats me, with that head comes a 6'2" body weighing in at 90 Kilo's, I'm well trained and strong.
The only thing they could get the "can't defend himself" idea from would be that I had a laptop on my lap and was catching up on rewriting some login scripts.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Derek Trance
I know I'd jump on the one that slapped me and crush his face as best I could before the others kicked my ass...but some people get intimidated by odds.

I would expect anyone, everyone to react like that. I'm more shocked by the passive acceptance of this abuse than the fact that it is happening.

Someone, somewhere will try to do to you whatever they think they can get away with. It's ultimately up to ourselves to draw those lines between what we will and will not take from people.

For myself, I would feel like I deserved scorn and a good slap in the face if I just sat there and allowed someone to abuse me that way.

Originally posted by skippytjc
The polics cannot react in tim to this sort of crime, so our only hope is to catch them on video.

That's not quite our only hope, skippy. There is also such a thing as personal responsibility.

You can choose whether you want to submit to this sort of indignity, or go down swingin.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by thematrix
Thats me, with that head comes a 6'2" body weighing in at 90 Kilo's, I'm well trained and strong.

And you didn't let them slap you, either!

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 12:35 PM
link   

15 passengers and these 2 idiots joined me to the police station in the brussels North trainstation and my guess is they'll never do it again.

What bothered me most about this is that none of the passengers reacted untill I slapped the cufs on this guy.

Are people to scared or just to selfish to stop people from doing stuff like this?

I'm glad to hear that you got this guy.

I've heard about the bystander affect before.
This is what Wiki has on it:

en.wikipedia.org...
The bystander effect (also known as bystander apathy) is a psychological phenomenon where persons are less likely to intervene in an emergency situation when others are present than when they are alone.

Solitary individuals will typically intervene if another person is in need of help: this is known as bystander intervention. However, researchers were surprised to find that help is less likely to be given if more people are present. In some situations, a large group of bystanders may fail to help a person who obviously needs help. An example which shocked many people is the Kitty Genovese case. Kitty Genovese was stabbed to death in 1964 by a mentally ill man. The murder took place over a period of about thirty minutes, during which at least 38 alleged "witnesses" failed to help the victim. For this reason, the name Genovese syndrome or Genovese effect was used to describe the phenomenon at the time. The death of Deletha Word in 1995 after witnesses failed to thwart her attackers, as well as the James Bulger murder case, may have been other well-publicized cases of the effect.

A 1968 study by John Darley and Bibb Latané first demonstrated the bystander effect in the laboratory. The most common explanation is that, with others present, observers all assume that someone else is going to intervene and so they each individually refrain from doing so. This is an example of how diffusion of responsibility leads to social loafing. People may also assume that other bystanders may be more qualified to help, such as being a doctor or police officer, and their intervention would thus be unneeded. People may also fear "losing face" in front of the other bystanders, being superseded by a "superior" helper, or offering unwanted assistance. Another explanation is that bystanders monitor the reactions of other people in an emergency situation to see if others think that it is necessary to intervene. Since others are doing exactly the same, everyone concludes from the inaction of others that other people do not think that help is needed. This is an example of pluralistic ignorance and social proof.

A victim may be able to counter the bystander effect by picking a specific person in the crowd to appeal to for help rather than appealing to the larger group generally. This places all responsibility on that specific person, instead of allowing it to diffuse; it counters pluralistic ignorance by showing that all bystanders are indeed interested in helping; and it kicks in social proof when one or more of the crowd steps in to assist.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I cant see this catching on in the states. Too many guns. The next person they slap may be carrying. Which, in this case would be a good thing.

And as far as cameras are concerned: If they were everywhere, then these punks wouldnt get away with some of it, thus making them think a bit longer before doing it. This is EXACTLY the type of crime cameras help prevent.

[edit on 28-4-2005 by skippytjc]

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Wow. This certainly sounds fun! There is nothing more fun than slapping the crap out of some unsuspecting person who is doing nothing more than minding there own business. C'mon. Be real! This an ASSAULT pure and simple. If someone did this to me, I would be totally justified to respond in kind. In fact, it would be SELF DEFENSE on my part to use any and all necessary force to defend myself. Furthermore, I would call the police and press charges. I don't care if this is just a prank. A prank is supposed to be harmless. Being slapped on the face or struck anywhere on my person is not harmless.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   
ah the joy of owning guns.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc This is EXACTLY the type of crime cameras help prevent.

hmm from things i've seen, no they dont, not at all, how many kidnappings, robberies and other crimes caught on camera have you missed? and many robberies are done repeatedly by the same robbers very often, in ybor city by me it has cameras all over because crime, know what happened when it was installed? crime got worse and keeps getting worse, intent criminals dont care if you have cameras one bit.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic

I just thought of a great "prank" to do pull on an unsuspecting crowd.....all I need is a high powered rifle, ammo and a tower. Man won't it be funny? This is social insanity! If you think about it, there is very little difference between slapping the unsuspecting or shooting them. It's violence pure and simple.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   
You know, I wish that God grants me this one wish...PLEASE let one of these guys do this to me. PLEASE!!! Have the tape rolling so you can see him looking around for his a**, cuz I would beat the daylights out of him. What kind of man SLAPS ??? wussies. Punch me! I dare ya!

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   
As a fiber optics welder, I always carry a set of heavy duty kevlar or diamond coated scissors/ cutters/strippers etc, those tools cut steel, glass, skin and bones just looking at them. Fortunately (for those morons) , the sick slapping is not yet really popular in holland, but when it catches on and I see them hit some random dude or a female , I WILL cut off a Few of their fingers so they can only make handsfree call , or perhaps have them videotape their own intestines being pulled out when I apply the tight-buffer stripper, I don't care, I will be proud to do time in jail for disfiguring these lowlife vultures/hyenas!

[edit on 28-4-2005 by Silenus]

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by benevolent tyrant

Originally posted by Lysergic

I just thought of a great "prank" to do pull on an unsuspecting crowd.....all I need is a high powered rifle, ammo and a tower. Man won't it be funny? This is social insanity! If you think about it, there is very little difference between slapping the unsuspecting or shooting them. It's violence pure and simple.

hahahahahaha wow good way to butcher what i said

lets see killing someone or slapping them... yeah they are the same

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 03:11 PM
link   
...I am affraid, Happy Shooting / Happy Raping could indeed be the next step, that's why many effort should be taken to stop this sick Slapping thing

[edit on 28-4-2005 by Silenus]

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   
This is just gang type violence and intimidation masquerading as some kind of joke or wake up action.

The word for this crime is assault [and perhaps battery].

It does not matter what section of a city these kids/people come from, they are commiting a crime. The victim should feel free to defend themselves against this violence.

If you want to make someone aware of the vulnerability they have there are civilized ways of doing it. Speaking about it, or possibly shouting to emphasize it, but physical violence, totally intollerable.

Perhaps it should be made some kind of misdemenor crime to show these tapes. That might help to restrain the practice of both doing it and filming it [which probably feeds the doing of it].

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 04:52 PM
link   
If someone did this to me, my first instinct and one I would act on would be to punch the slapper directly in the face. I was taught from childhood how to make sure to break an attackers nose with the first punch.

I wonder who the police would arrest?? I've seen all sorts of perversions spring up with these stupid camera and video phones.

Sick.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Veltro
If someone did this to me, my first instinct and one I would act on would be to punch the slapper directly in the face. I was taught from childhood how to make sure to break an attackers nose with the first punch.

I wonder who the police would arrest?? I've seen all sorts of perversions spring up with these stupid camera and video phones.

Sick. [/quote You asked the pertinent question, "who would the cops arrest"? Well, in this unusual age when children and teenagers seem to have more protection under the law than adults, I'm almost certain that the adult victim of such a slap attack would be arrested if he punched out the little ***holes.....even if the police had a video tape of the little perps launching the attack. After all, we have to protect the little impish darlings even if they really are spoiled rotten little brats. My oh my, what is the world coming to?

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 12:25 AM
link   
And I thought I was a juvinile delinquent for vandalizing bus benches.

I think it would be even funnier to se these worthless little punks get their asses beat on camera, then have it posted on their website.

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 12:50 AM
link   
As posted, me and a friend of mine were going clubbing in Toledo. He stopped at a ATM to get more money, I went and sat on a bench. 4 guys came up, one with a video camera. They started messing with Devin. I walked over, tapped on on the shoulder, he turned around, kicked him in the nuts then punched him in the head. Devin picked one up and slammed him on the ground while the other two ran away. It was quite sad, sure Devin is built, wrestling team and Red Belt in Tae Kwan Do, while I am in not as good of shape but Green Belt Blue Tab in Tae Kwan Do. But the idiots deserved it.

In the other topic already posted, a link was provided somewhere. Also, I know low blows are "wrong" but a fight is to win, not to go "Sorry, did that hurt?"

[edit on 30-4-2005 by James the Lesser]

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Are people to scared or just to selfish to stop people from doing stuff like this?
[edit on 28-4-2005 by thematrix]

Look at Nazi Germany for the answer.
People are sheep, with a flight or fight mentality, unless there is an alpha male to tell them "Fight! Fight! Now And KILL TO EAT!" most people won't fight, even to defend others.

I've witnessed more times than I can count in my life, makes me wish death not only the attackers, but the passive "spectators" as well, at least while the adrenaline is flowing.

I guess its time to get cell phones with camera's and monitor everyone, everywhere you go public, so in the event you do get attacked, you have their faces on file.

Does anyone else see "A Clockwork Orange" in this whole business?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join