It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Election fight gets more personal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Conservative leader Michael Howard has pledged to continue his attacks on Tony Blair's character as the poll campaign becomes increasingly personalised.

The latest Tory poster says: "If he's prepared to lie to take us to war, he's prepared to lie to win an election."

Labour hit back with posters claiming Michael Howard has a "hidden agenda" for the NHS, although Mr Blair is concentrating on education policies.

Charles Kennedy says the Lib Dem mood is best since the "heady days" of 1983.

He said the Tories' tactics showed they thought they would lose the election.

"They are falling back now on the most negative form of personalised campaigning," said Mr Kennedy.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 08:18 AM
link   
The tories seem to have this enormous blind-spot over Iraq.

They seem to imagine people just can't remember they supported the Iraqi war and that their own record is one of slavishly doing absolutely anything the US ever asked of them.

IMO those tory commentators, journos and MPs who whine about Labour joining the US in Iraq would be soiling their pants with joy if it had been a tory gov that had done that (then they'd get to do the whole dangerous anti-American lefty etc etc routine too).
Hypocrites.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Tories know they've losted the election and its showing in the words they are saying each week. Now, they are just defending their seats in the house.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Now, they are just defending their seats in the house.

- That, if I may say so, is about as on the mark as it get infinite. Spot on.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey
- That, if I may say so, is about as on the mark as it get infinite. Spot on.

Thanx,
but the signs are their. Tories are worrying a lot now, all they are hoping for in the election is getting close to Labour as possible.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I reckon there is more 'fun' to come; if the polls still haven't moved (at all) by the end of the week and weekend I expect some public and very ugly tory rows next week.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey
I reckon there is more 'fun' to come; if the polls still haven't moved (at all) by the end of the week and weekend I expect some public and very ugly tory rows next week.

same,
the tories will just start to use every trick in the book now to grab votes and attack labour.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 09:09 AM
link   

the tories will just start to use every trick in the book now to grab votes and attack labour.

Yep, to be sure, which I find pretty pathetic; its a sad measure of the lack of decent opposition in this country. They are an insult to their supporters, really.
If a party I supported insulted my intelligence with such awful campaigning, I'd be sure not to vote for them again while the people pushing said campaigns were araound.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Paul
Yep, to be sure, which I find pretty pathetic; its a sad measure of the lack of decent opposition in this country.

I think the lib dems will take over now as the real opposition to labour because, to be honest, the tories are a dying party and seem to be fading out.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Paul
Yep, to be sure, which I find pretty pathetic; its a sad measure of the lack of decent opposition in this country.

I think the lib dems will take over now as the real opposition to labour because, to be honest, the tories are a dying party and seem to be fading out.

Wouldn't that be something?! I wonder what would happen then. It would definitely be interesting to see the old liberal vs conservate, left v right paradigm thrown out of the window.
The thing is though, there are still a lot of people about who hold tradtional conservative views, as well as thatcherites, who provide too large a suppoter base to allow the Tory party to slip into obscurity.
I think that if the Lib Dems replaced the Tories as the main opposition, the relative 'centre' would just move further left to reflect the left-wing leaning of both Labour and the Lib Dems, and then Labour would occupy more of the right wing, relatively speaking.

top topics

join