It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Los Angeles, Mexico - Billboard

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 05:57 PM
link   

An immigration activist group is drawing attention to a photograph showing a billboard ad for a Spanish-language TV newscast in L.A. on which the "CA" abbreviation after "Los Angeles" has been crossed out and the word "Mexico" added in its place.

Source

This is the same company that put up that billboard with a picture of President Bush and the words "George W. Bush: Our Leader" after the election.

I don't get their advertising strategy, are they just doing this to shock people a little or what? Do they think they are turning L.A. into a part of Mexico?

[edit on 26-4-2005 by andpau66]

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Well if its for a SPanish channel or News network its simple.... its showing there is a large popuulation of Mexicans in LA and is saying this news source caters for this...

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Thats fine. However, they decided to come here and live in... Los Angeles, California. They need to get it right. It's not Mexico.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 06:11 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Thank you for showing that thread, djohnsto77. I did not see that before. That is complete and utter BS. Unbelievable.

Has to stop.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Well California used to be part of Mexico.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 07:57 PM
link   
okay i'm i live in los angeles and i'm half Latino, and trust me folks don't make a big deal out of this. It is more ethnic pride than anything in their advertisement. It would be foolish to think that anyone who is mexican/american would want to spit on the United States. I work with alot of mexican guys ,and the second that somebody tries to talk smack about the U.S. they step up to defend it. They are just proud of where they come from and that is all! You can ask any of them , If they would rather Live in The U.S.A. or in mexico and most will say that they are proud to live here. Dont' start thinking this is some sort of ethnic culture invasion.

Hispanics are like greek/italians. We love our heritage, We celebrate it, We embrace it. But We don't want to make this place any other than the USA. If a bunch of Americans were living in lets say.....................Japan and they had American TV with the same ad do you think it would be a big deal? The mexico part of the ad is to show them that by watching that channel they will be close to home. It's important to them whats going on in their old home. Because it affects thier family as well.

just relax have a , no worries be happy

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by andpau66
Thats fine. However, they decided to come here and live in... Los Angeles, California. They need to get it right. It's not Mexico.

Its called humour mate. I find it amusing... you guys in the US really get territorial dont you... its an AD... its not going to make California seceed from the US, its not going to increase the amount of illegal aliens...

and by saying it has to stop... well theres this thing called freedom of expression... yeah you know the one... people can say what they want and put what they want on billboards... live with it.

And Kudos to bordnlazy... well put...

[edit on 26-4-2005 by specialasianX]

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by bordnlazy
I work with alot of mexican guys ,and the second that somebody tries to talk smack about the U.S. they step up to defend it. They are just proud of where they come from and that is all! You can ask any of them , If they would rather Live in The U.S.A. or in mexico and most will say that they are proud to live here. Dont' start thinking this is some sort of ethnic culture invasion.

Good to hear that their proud to be here but I still think the sign shouldn't have CA crossed out and replaced with Mexico. Im not saying this is a culture invasion.. America is made up of a bit of every culture in the world and thats a good thing.

Originally posted by specialasianX
well theres this thing called freedom of expression... yeah you know the one... people can say what they want and put what they want on billboards... live with it.

Ha, I am living with this thing called freedom of expression. Im expressing myself freely on this thread I created. You don't need to tell me about it.

you guys in the US really get territorial dont you.

The U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service estimates that some 5 million people are living in the United States without permission, and the number is growing by about 275,000 a year. So, when we are reading, listening, watching this happen I guess we get a little territorial. Im sure you would be giggling with joy if this was happening where you are.

When you visit some locations and you find people that are in the country illegally with no job (and not looking for one either) living off our tax money and don't even attempt to learn the language. Its kind of hard to get a job when the only english words you know is "harder" and "faster" [Ok, maybe thats a little mean]. They have ten kids hanging off them.

Of course not everyone is like this. That's ridiculous. There are some great people from other countries (like Mexico) here and contribute to make this a better place. And they normally get into this country with permission by following the rules (which does not involve quickly making a mad dash for the American side with 15 others when the border guard thinks something looks suspicious about the cramped truck everyone is hidden in) But you can't deny either that some are here taking advantage of programs we have and they don't really care.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 12:03 AM
link   
andpau66 the sign wasn't made by the people who are recieving the message! its made by ingorant people who thought that was a good idea!

I live in Southern Cal! and trust me I've lived in the same broke-ass apartment for about ten years! the rent has gone up from $600 to $1000, Gasoline has increased almost equally , i've noticed people going from one family to apartment to about two or three! and as always when times get rough we look to blame immigrants. They are not the source, its not only those that would hire them(though itsreally hard to get a good job as in illegal if not impossible), Times are tough and as usual we blame those that aren't us! Its something that comes up time and time again! No Matter who the scape goat is! when it comes to less jobs and money to go around look towards the rich Fatcats that would rather send jobs to indo-china or central america than the immigrants here!

Trust me on this my family has worked hard to be here Legally and it pains me to know that people are taking away benefits that could go to my mother one day. The higher number of illegals is due to two things

1)things aren't in good in latin countries, partly due to corruptness and the inability for the U.S. to help oout it sister countries. THey would rather spend their money on other things than help out a country that DIRECTLY affects us! trust me they could name the conditions and make a butt load off the loans if they had good business sense

2)Fatcats in this country want poor people they can use and abuse in this country , they want teh cheap labor , the want to extort it, otherwise why would their be somany illegals crossing over?

When it comes to money Keep your eyes and ears open, Who is benefitting from this? someone is thats for sure!

when bad things happen in our country , Blame the country and not other people, Imagine if criminals seemed untouchable? Why the F are they untouchable? is it because of them or because of corrupt police that arent willing to do their jobs? prolly a pay-off somewhere? a big hole in our safety net of justice? now i'm not implying at all that the border patrol is corrupt ,what im trying to get at is that somewhere Our system people feel that money would go better to other places than enforcing certain laws or even having more INS agents out there.

Once you blame others they have already won! Look toward who should be responsble in our system and hold them accountable!\

Okay now i've talked just enough to where i've confused myself.

Peace out! and BTW i can understand why you found the ad offensive No Problemo! it's the advitiresers and not the advertisies.

[edit on 27-4-2005 by bordnlazy]

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 05:15 PM
link   
First of all let me say this does not bother me what so ever, but then again I don't live in Southern California anymore either. I find the add very humorous & truthful - the border is no longer the border between races it's the border between different economic regions & governments.

Yeah, the add is really meant for Mexican immigrants since they are apparently becoming the majority of the population down there.

If it bothers you maybe you should have stopped them from coming across the border back in the 70's when you were not the minority there.

I lived in Southern California up until the early 70's & I don't even recognize it anymore when I go down to visit. I have nothing against Mexicans & in fact my Grandfather married a Mexican woman & had a couple more children with her before he passed away, so even I have a Chicano Uncle & many Mexican relatives - most of whom I don't know. Hello My Mexican friends & relatives.

If you don't like it you can always move up north, but just remember most the farm areas even up here are full of Mexicans right up to the Canadian border, so if you don't like them your pretty much SOL.

join