It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the media dehumanizing Blacks

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Why are they demonized on tv and why are they brainwashed to be ignorant citizen-slaves? The media glorifies ignorance,and violence for blacks and hispanics. They also cherrypick news stories for negitive images(mugshots,fights, and arrests). In movies its the same roles,funny guy,mean thug,rap artist,and and plot wise useless extra.

Blacks are seen as evil all over the world because of good old hollywood. New Age madness wants blacks to be systematically murdered. Genocide? Wow. Why would they want to murder innocent human beings like hitler did?

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Well to think that Hollywood hasn't demoralized blacks is to think that the sky isn't above us.

It's widely known that early 1900's, Blackface comedy was some of the most racist (and popular) comedic methods that ever graced Hollywood. Thomas Malone and James Kennedy are known as the 'Kings of Blackface comedy'

But that was just the nature of Hollywood and entertainment back in those days. Anything was acceptable (doesn't necessarily mean that it was intelligent). I would say that Hollywood was more ignorant than it was racist. And early Hollywood racial innuendoes expanded to include a variety of racial stereotypes such as the 'poor Asian holding a pot of rice to a white unsuspecting culture' or 'the 'dirty' Mexican and his crazy antics'.

Modern day Hollywood is still rather limiting when it comes to racial sterotypes and role casting. I remember when Lost in translation came out there would a large backlash from the Asian community because of how Asians are portrayed within the film.

[edit on 4/26/2005 by Simulacra]

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 07:54 PM
link   
This is a very intresting topic line. Not he stadard bill of fare one sees in this forum but much needed.

Great posts Simulacra...well done. I agree.

I am constantly insulted by the default setting that the state of California and Hollywood get in the media and cinema that they represent all of America by some kind of silent consent. So many people fall into this line of thinking world wide about Americans....any Americans. It is cheap..and misleading. California and Hollywood do not automatically represent me..neither does New York City. What a sham.

They are doing the same thing with blacks..for the purpose of cheap merchandizing. Lucre...money. I am happy to say that some blacks are catching on to this ..Bill Cosby being one..to speak out about it....though his voice is not heard often enough or loud enough. There are others but like Cosby ..not heard loud enough...over the merchandizers.

You have to remember something about Hollywood and tv...they tend to do our thinking for us...especially emotionally ..notice how many people today have no real experiences in life of their own..they must constantly express their views based on something from a movie or tv....program as if this is thier reality. The sum an toto of their lifes experiences... Such a shame. No real individual thinking going on in thier minds ..all from vicarious sources.
Be very careful about your emotions ..especially hollywood and tv style ..it is often that you are put on a string by someone else...like a puppet...so many people today ..no longer know the difference.
You can tell this in the programming ...especially when after a program they put on a pannel of "experts " to make sure you interpreted the program correctly ..not think for yourself. The movie " The Day After " comes to mind though this has been done by many since.
You know ..I can often tell a program made by Barbra Striesand ..it has her fingerprint on it ..it is emotional issues and often if she is in it she must be the martyr...the "victim"..it stands out like a fingerprint..often.
When you see enough of this stuff in movies...you began to connect the pattern in your mind..and by this the pattern of the thinking they want you to adopt by default.
They are doing this carte blanche with certain groups..because spiritually they can be put on the string much easier by the advertisers...Blacks come to mind but dont worry ..they will in process of time be replaced by another group..using the same method. By this method..this seduction they sell your soul..you people should know this. Young people with empty minds and high emotions are the easiest to seduce with this technique. This is obvious. Just as it is easier to seperate them from a dollar if you get their soul first.

Thanks
Orangetom

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 08:47 PM
link   
how this thread has I begun, and I started a thread called the Miseducation of Africans which up to the point of me posting here was no response or feedback, anyway. Not only has the Media, played a part the schools and the Public education system........ The problem is We as Blacks, or Africans have failed to stand up and fight the system, not use the NAACP to pressure hollywood to cast blacks in Roles of films. But here what they are being cast,m but in negative sterotypes. What we need is an alternative to Hollywood. Alternatives Support Groups other than the Politicking Group sNAACP, and Rainbow Push organizations, etc....

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by orangetom1999
This is a very intresting topic line. Not he stadard bill of fare one sees in this forum but much needed.

They are doing the same thing with blacks..for the purpose of cheap merchandizing. Lucre...money. I am happy to say that some blacks are catching on to this ..Bill Cosby being one..to speak out about it....though his voice is not heard often enough or loud enough. There are others but like Cosby ..not heard loud enough...over the merchandizers.

Bill Cosby is an Excellent Example, as is Chris Rock, and Dave Chappelle, Russel Simmons, and yes even Jay-Z ( his net worth equals that of Paris hiltons, and it only took him a decade to amass). However look at the flack that the black community gave Mr. Cosby, and others when he spoke it like it truly is. They all but cruicified him and called him an uncle Tom.

Part of the problem of hollywood dehumanizing blacks can not be ignored that's for sure. Yet as Mr. Cosby himself said , the black communtiy is just as much to blame for their acceptance of these stereotypes.A comic preformance by Chris Rock comes to mind when he talked about what white people do when they get money as opposed to what black people do when they get money. White poeple buy stocks, and invest, niggas (as he called them) buy 30, 000 dollar Rims "They spinnin nigga they spinnin!"
And I think he is onto something there.

I am half black and my father had crosses burned on his lawn, and all the other crap that used to happen back in the day. My family was involved with the civil rights struggle in the 60's, & the black panther movement in the 70's as well. All these things that my family and other people fought for in the 60's 70's and STILL to this day are being thrown away by the younger generation who has no idea what it was like, in exchange for this materialistic celebrity driven "culture" that the "white-man" is selling him.

And I won't even mention the CIA/iran/contra/los angeles/80'sCrack epidemic. Which blacks acccepted then as well.

Until "blacks" wake up, I agree with Mr. Cosby since the 60's they only have themselves to blame, and until they are willing to look in the mirror not a damn thing is going to change.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Maybe it's the Celebrity driven culture that's driving blacks to the ground..We only concentrate on becoming entertainers, and not being entreprenurs.. we focus on the bling and not investing in our children's future i guess it's the bad example, by the Rappers, NbA players etc

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by crusader
Maybe it's the Celebrity driven culture that's driving blacks to the ground..We only concentrate on becoming entertainers, and not being entreprenurs.. we focus on the bling and not investing in our children's future i guess it's the bad example, by the Rappers, NbA players etc

I also think the American black community and their reluctance to signifigantly invest in Africa is part of the problem too.But I digress

Not all rappers are like that though. Now the NBA, NFL, sports stars I would agree with you there.

Jay-z Owns multiple fashion lines, and even part of a basketball team.
We all know what Russel Simmons has done as far as business ventures and creating job opportunities for other blacks.

We jsut need MORE like this, and LESS like Puffy, and Will smith, who are just materialistic asses trying to find acceptance in a white world that will NEVER consider them one of their own, no matter how much "bling" they might have. Take M.C Hammer for example! Once upon a time he was number one in the charts, multi millionaire, and had to file bankruptcy within ten years. Lost it all! Had to have the bling

You know the difference is people like the kennedys, the rockerfellers, Hughes', etc, etc invested , like you said not only in their childrens futures, but also their grandchildren, and great grand childrens futures.....

They weren't worried about spinnin rims. And if you read about the founders of most dynasties, they were usually cheap a*s misers who pinched every penny they could, even whilst living in mansions.

One piece of puff daddys Jewelry could ensure that his childrens, childrens, children would never have to work a DAY in their life, one piece of Puffys Jewelry could feed an entire African Village for over a year..........ONE PIECE. Just something to think about, and I think it's sad.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Hollywood has demonized veterans of the war in Vietnam for more than thirty years, but in no way has this demonization really impacted who we really are, occidental or oriental and all sorts in between. I agree that the arts often deal with stereotypes, but then again a stereotype is a generalization and generalizations are not necessarily a bad thing, unless carried to extremes or if specific generalizations (?) are ignored completely, if you know what I mean.

No media conspiracy in the world could do to blacks what blacks in the media have done to themselves and gangsta' rap, or whatever it's called, is a good example of what I'm talking about--violent lyrics chanted by violent thugs. It is my observation that blacks are often portrayed as hapless victims or as folk philosophers as often as they are portrayed as criminal.

I am reminded of the TV show, "Good Times." The show started out with high ideals, but soon deteriorated in a slapstick, stereotype, "mugging" fest because of the producers' desire to produce cheap laughs and appease popular demand.

Hollywood is not and has never been the home of reality. You want reality, wake up and go to work. You want fantasy, turn on the tube or go to a movie.

[edit on 05/4/27 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 12:52 AM
link   
I dont see how you people think hollywood is dehumanizing blacks. If you are refering to their music and movies, who's fault is that? try the guy that wrote it.
Blacks play both sides of this game because their is an advantage. On one hand they would have you think that there are no blacks on TV and that all blacks are poor(sympathy game) on the other hand they buy millions of dollars in clothing,cars,sports equipment and whatever and very few ever contribute a dime back into 'their community'. This because they know that those of them that dont rap or play basketball are well fed by the government and YOUR tax dollars. Bill Cosby is one of the few blacks that actually try to help his people and like you all said he was demonized because of it.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I have to disagree with you a bit..Hollywood and the media will merchandize anyone...period...but blacks are particularly vulnurable and merchandizable. It is good to see some in here...who recognize the pattern under which these seductions operate. However ..I agree...with you about one thing...once you know just dont play into the game.
I dont agree with alot of what comes out of hollywood but occasionally a decent movie somehow gets produced..the movie October Sky comes to mind. Men of Honor is another one. I recently enjoyed " the girl with the pearl earing.
However this doesnt happen often enough for me in any category of movie. One poster had it correct when they posted ...some other avenue for entertainment needs to be developed outside of hollywood. A alternative to hollywood. I have heard talk about this for years but hollywood and the producers/studios seem to have a closed shop and fight this tooth and nail. Talk awhile back was to develope studios in Florida..nothing seemed to come out of it. I agree however alternatives to hollywood and the media perception..are needed...no matter what the group represented..or in this case ..misrepresented.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trustnone
I dont see how you people think hollywood is dehumanizing blacks

Read any book on the history of American Cinema and you will see why. This is undeniable.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Black People the world over is a very disorganized, we can't organize to fight against stigmatization, much less Build economic might and togethership.... It's so hard, we only complain that everyone is against us and we do nothing.. So Hopeless... People we once ruled the world! And we could do that again! Just Let's stop bowing our heads in our sand dunes and let's get our act together! By the way I think The age of European dominance is about to come to a close... And I don't think it will be us who may rise to the fore.. Let's Look at the the Orient... (Asia)

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Or we can be ducked into thinking nothing is wrong. What about that? Blacka and arabs are demonized on tv like the asians in the 50s,or the russians in the 80s or the french now. take your pick. America is xenophobic plain and simple.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Hmmmm....thinking here about this thread..

Im thinking that lots of people have stereotypes...and biases. Alot of people would be surprised to know how racially motivated some orientals are...very racist. The difference is that orientals are by nature very discrete and dont wear their emotions on their faces...they dont hang thier laundry out for others to see on Jerry or Rikki or other such drivel shows. One could say the same for the Hebrews. Most people dont think they are racially oriented but they are. Are all orientals or hebrews thus..not hardly.
You or I cannot force this change in beliefs on a unwilling people. If we do we run the risk of becoming the thing we dont like. Usually these generations just die off.
The stereotype of hollywood is such that their greatest bias is twords the colour of "Green". They will sell anyone or anything to get acces to green. Like the wind..they will change to go where the green is located.
I am glad to see that there are people who catch on to h ollywood and think for themselves. While I enjoy entertainment occasionally it is not my bread and butter. I dont think it is a religious esperience to worship at the altar of Hollywood.
By the way..this type of Chasing the green ..falls under the ancient title and description of "Whoredom" because it often sells the souls of those it makes subject to this seduction.
Thanks for some great posts..
Orangetom

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 06:10 PM
link   
That is a good point you made about hollywood.
I think it will be worth my time to read some material on such about hollywood...not about the stars per se..but the politics and such information not normally written about this arena...

Thanks for that idea..

By the way ..do you have any titles or such in mind..or links to these sites...

Thanks
Orangetom

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Personally i think this is all BS.

A Rappa.....

A gangsta....

A playa......

Sorry, had too.

Now some guys I like.

Is there ANY hotter comic on the face of the planet?

Damn man, looks like they're getting along, why can't we all.

Guys I couldn't do without:

I can take Denzel, every other movie but the ones dedicated to the Chicks feel the same as this guys..

Anyone getting the point yet? Color means nothing. If you allow it to, it means that you are being programmed. I have a picture for how I feel about that but I can't post it. Think of that special digit next to your index finger.

BTW?...

I think we can forgive her for Catwoman. C'mon, who didn't make a bad movie?

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Is Hollywood dehumanizing:

Blacks, Yes
Whites, Of course
Asians, with out a doubt
Hispanics, who else
Arabs, especially now
Other, You bet your booty

Hollywood dehumanizes all races, creeds, colors and nationalities.

Big freakin deal. phoenixhasrisin said it as it is:

Until "blacks" wake up, I agree with Mr. Cosby since the 60's they only have themselves to blame, and until they are willing to look in the mirror not a damn thing is going to change.

Whenever Dave Chappelle makes a black joke or says "Jigga"
It's cooool, its alright and funny.
He makes funny white weenie jokes....do I care? Naw....
When someone else says "Jigga" or pops a black joke he is probably gonna get expelled from school or lose his job.

BTW: Dave Chappelle is awesome.

Do you know of a Black man who is poor or could not get into college because of the media "dehumanizing" of blacks? Nope!!

Same question for a white dude? Nope!!!

Hell look at the way Hispanics are portrayed......Cheech and Chong

(we're not worthy...repeat 5 times)

Every smart kid in every movie is usually an Asian girl....Am
I offended cause it may be saying that asians are smarter than whites?
Negative, Im not a offended!!

Can't we all just get along?
[img]https://files.abovetopsecret.com/uploads/ats21492_getalong[1].jpg[/img]

[edit on 27/4/2005 by SportyMB]

[edit on 27/4/2005 by SportyMB]

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by SportyMB

Are you #ting me? Kevin Smith is single handedly taking a leading role:

Not to mention the lovely trio from Nova Scotia:

It's what sells that matters, not the colour of what's selling.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Do you know of a Black man who is poor or could not get into college because of the media "dehumanizing" of blacks? Nope!!

Your right, .....I think I worded my question wrong.

I meant that as in replace black man with white dude in the above question.

So it should read:
Do you know of a white dude who is poor or could not get into college because of the media "dehumanizing" of white? Nope!!

Ok, thats what I meant...whatever...im so friggin lost right kow

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 08:02 PM
link   
People we should not jus complain, let's boycott Hollywood! Let's show them who has the real power! I maybe going over the board, but. what do u think is some myths about Black myths, look for example everyone thinks all Black Males have Big members.... sheesh!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join