It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grenade Launchers Against 3 Cent Rise of Bus Fares

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 09:13 PM
link   
All Photos: AFP/Scanpix

Thousands of protesters were fighting the police in Nicaragua on Monday. People used homemade grenade launcers among other things against the police. At least 10 protesters and three police officers are injured. Some media reports that the police fired the first shots.

Nicaragua students clash with police over oil costs

Thousands of Nicaraguan students clashed with police on Monday when they protested transportation and food costs, while the nation's mayors challenged the president to solve the problems or resign.

At least two police officers and two students were injured in clashes in the capital, officials said, as protesters reportedly launched homemade grenades and set fire to police motorcycles and a bus.

Rising world oil prices lie at the heart of the protests. They began more than a week ago, when bus companies announced a rate hike to about 18 cents from 15 cents due largely to higher fuel costs.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This 3 cent rise of bus fares was apparently not so popular...

Related news sources:
Nettavisen: Bombekaster mot bussbillett (in norwegian...)
MaconTelegraph.com: 13 injured in Nicaragua bus fare protests

[edit on 2006/4/23 by Hellmutt]

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Damn, Bush is lucky his BS hasn't gotten this response. Went from 1 dollar a gallon under Clinton to over 3 dollars in some places. Lets see, 3 cents gets this, so 2 dollars get a nuke on Washington DC?

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   
3 cents must be something like 1/5 of their monthly income? What else would provoke such action?

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
This 3 cent rise of bus fares was apparently not so popular...

The award for understatement of the year goes to.....

Hellmutt!!

Seriously though if Americans acted this way to adversity we would have had a another civil war a long time ago. Perhaps its a good thing we dont but then again maybe we wouldnt have let things get so far out of hand in this country if we were so vocal in practice.

[edit on 26-4-2005 by boogyman]

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 06:06 PM
link   
the reason things dont get out of hand like that in america is mainly because the Police here are so heavily funded and equipped with modern technology

try that in america
bring a thousand soldiers with you

you will be amazed because they will break your riot like a samoan breaks a coconut

the police here beat us down too fast to protest in such a way

in america we do gripe
alot

instead of going out and DOING something about it; we all sit at home and gripe in front of the TV or on Internet chatboards
lol

im guessing people in central america dont have many TVs or PCs?
id like to know the statistics of that

perhaps TV and Computers make a society more passive ?

anyone wanna help me dig up the statistics on how many people in Central America have TVs or Personal Computers w/internet connection??

it would be a great comparison

im guessing that they are poorer and not many of them have this type of stuff to brainwash them and make them passive

just a guess
id like to see how it pans out

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   
gee our busfare just went up 25 cents should i use a nuke?
i wish that we had their low fares. transit here is more than the gas would be. it's prety bad when driveing a big vehicle alone uses less gas money than transit fare. especialy when you think about all that extra time that transit uses as well as the conveiniance of driveing.

it would be better if the title was something like "protesters of food and transit cost rises use rpgs to show their dissatisfaction". as it was aparently NOT just about transit fares going up. i would think that riseing food costs would have more to do with this than bus fare.

unfortunately this just shows how people are being so negitavely abused by the rise in costs due to the greed of the oil companies. they should have taken out a P.O.L. site that would definately have gotten the point across. it is well passed time that oil companies have been reined in for makeing their proffits by ripping off the public. just like the "fuel shortage" in the 70's. yet more bs to raise fuel prices to line oil companies pockets.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I’m certain the 3 cents was just the straw that broke the horses back. You also need to analyze the whole economical picture. If the government is fat and there is obvious corruption, then imposing even the most nominal tax or cost on the people can cause an out right revolution.

Imagine you see government officials living in mansions and driving expensive cars while you bust you hump to barley provide enough for your family to eat. Then those fat cats try to take more money from you. It starts to become irrelevant how much it is.

Man, i need to stop, I almost sounded liberal there for a moment

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I’m certain the 3 cents was just the straw that broke the camels back. You also need to analyze the whole economical picture. If the government is fat and there is obvious corruption, then imposing even the most nominal tax or cost on the people can cause an out right revolution.

Imagine you see government officials living in mansions and driving expensive cars while you bust you hump to barely provide enough for your family to eat. Then those fat cats try to take more money from you. It starts to become irrelevant how much it is.

Man, i need to stop, I almost sounded liberal there for a moment

[edit on 27-4-2005 by skippytjc]

top topics

join