It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian shark?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:
ID

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I agree that it is not a fake the image flows to well and the ripples would be hard to duplicate. A very impressive fish to I might add. Now that's one to stuff and hang over your mantle. Is this an average size for sturgeon or is it abnormal? I am not a fish expert so I have no clue.

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 09:58 PM
link   
No fish expert neither, but I think the pic looks pretty convincing, in a non-photoshoped way.

Gazrok
"I'm no photoshop expert, but I could do that."
yeah right, I'd like to see that.

And YES, there is places like that in Canada. Lots of 'em.

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
That thing looks like a HUGE OLE catfish!

I would have to say thats no sturgeon! Thats a mutated sturgeon!!!
sturgeon can grow at up 2 atleast 8 ft(unless caught) and hell ya they taste good smoked. me and my daddy have caught saturgeon up to 8ft. we have caught biger fish and seen them jump put they brok the line...

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freddie
Sure does look catfish-like. Canadian PhotoShop?
i have pictures of sturgeon that size...there not digatal so i cant put them on here...wel maybe with a scanner...ill try that later....in the second picture that sturgeon looks nothing like sturgeon i catch...the law around here for sturgeon is, you cant keep them undre 42 inches, u cant keep them over 6ft, u can only catch one a day...it kinda sucks but its danm worth it win u got a 8ft fish on.

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by surfup
Something wrong with that picture. Notice the guys doesn't have any water in his hands or clothes. I think it is probably fake.

what i think happend is the guy taking the picture is the guy who fought the fish...there might be more people...i think that guy probally has hip waders and just walked out there to get a pic...if you got that fish in that means he is tired enough that he wouldnt splash or anything meanign this guy could easily do that and not get wet.

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 05:51 PM
link   
another law where i live(northwest) is that u cant fish for them b4 sunrise or after sundown...and there is onyl some rivers and crap that u can catch them..alot of rules for jsut fish but liek i said they r HELLA good

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I wouldn't say the photo was faked or tampered with ... but ... that fish (for lack of a better word) looks very heavy!

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJDOHBOY
I wouldn't say the photo was faked or tampered with ... but ... that fish (for lack of a better word) looks very heavy!

im sure ass hell its heavy..but most of it is in the water and im sure a grown man can atleast hold up the head

ID

posted on Aug, 21 2003 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Yeah I agree. It looks heavy as hell but having most of it in the water does help. Not to mention you can see the strain on the mans face as he is trying to smile.

posted on Aug, 21 2003 @ 11:10 AM
link   
From a fisherman, I can tell you I think it's real. I have caught sturgeon many times. My biggest was 6.5 feet about 285 pounds. However, I have seen stergeon caught that we nearly ten feet.

And dresscode for fishing is whatever you are comfortable in.

Holding a stergeon out of water is like holding driftwood. Water does more than half the work. They do not thrash about, and can actually live out of water for over a half hour. Therefore, this guy may have been holding the fish long enough to get partially dry.

Also, if anyone has ever caught one of these, you know well that once you land it (if fishing from shore and can't back a boat up to it) you are exhausted afterwards, and generally have someone unhook the fish for you. My 6.5 footer took me 1 hour 45 minutes to land. I was exhausted. So a friend unhooked it, then I waded out into the water. He was holding the head of the fish up, and I stuck one arm under it and brought the other over the top. Since the top arm had not been wet, it did not appear wet in the photo. (wish I still had it to post, was lost in a move about 5 years ago).

Another thing to remember is that these are fairly fatty fish with quite oily skin. They have no scales, so it only takes a few second for them to stop dripping from the head if the head is elevated above the rest of the body. The water will flow instead, from their head down their belly to the waterline, rather than dripping from the head.

Hope that clears a few things up and gives you a second look at this amazing stergeon photo. But that man a beer.

[Edited on 21-8-2003 by ImAlreadyPsycho]

ID

posted on Aug, 21 2003 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Why was this post called Canadian shark? As I said before I am no fish expert but I didn't think sturgeons were sharks. Am I wrong?

posted on Aug, 21 2003 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ID
Why was this post called Canadian shark? As I said before I am no fish expert but I didn't think sturgeons were sharks. Am I wrong?

Click the link in the original post, here it is:

www.strangecosmos.com...

ID

posted on Aug, 21 2003 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Yeah but it sure doesn't look like a shark. I mean look at its jaws looks more like a catfish. Do these things eat meat or what? Maybe I am just let down, when I first saw the title I pictured a tiger shark or a hammerhead.

posted on Aug, 21 2003 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Here is a good place for some info on Sturgeon in North America.

Sturgeon History.

From all I have ever read, sturgeon are not related to sharks, but are their own species. There are several different types of sturgeon with varying sizes and life spans. Some can grow over 15 feet long and some can live upwards of 150 years. They have been found to live as far back as the Cretacious (sp?) period. They truely are dinosaurs, and very magnificent creatures.

posted on Aug, 25 2003 @ 08:56 PM
link   
My 6.5 footer took me 1 hour 45 minutes to land. I was exhausted

danm ive caught sturgeon 7.5 feet and it only took about 45 min. and my rod is only 11 ft.........what happend???

posted on Sep, 2 2003 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImAlreadyPsycho
From a fisherman, I can tell you I think it's real. I have caught sturgeon many times. My biggest was 6.5 feet about 285 pounds. However, I have seen stergeon caught that we nearly ten feet.

And dresscode for fishing is whatever you are comfortable in.

Holding a stergeon out of water is like holding driftwood. Water does more than half the work. They do not thrash about, and can actually live out of water for over a half hour. Therefore, this guy may have been holding the fish long enough to get partially dry.

Also, if anyone has ever caught one of these, you know well that once you land it (if fishing from shore and can't back a boat up to it) you are exhausted afterwards, and generally have someone unhook the fish for you. My 6.5 footer took me 1 hour 45 minutes to land. I was exhausted. So a friend unhooked it, then I waded out into the water. He was holding the head of the fish up, and I stuck one arm under it and brought the other over the top. Since the top arm had not been wet, it did not appear wet in the photo. (wish I still had it to post, was lost in a move about 5 years ago).

Another thing to remember is that these are fairly fatty fish with quite oily skin. They have no scales, so it only takes a few second for them to stop dripping from the head if the head is elevated above the rest of the body. The water will flow instead, from their head down their belly to the waterline, rather than dripping from the head.

Hope that clears a few things up and gives you a second look at this amazing stergeon photo. But that man a beer.

[Edited on 21-8-2003 by ImAlreadyPsycho]

I was reading through to see if a fellow fisherman responded! Sturgeon can grow up well over 1000 lbs. There ARE fresh water fish out there that big, my friends! Luckily, none have a taste for flesh!
There used to be a inter sho fishing segment on the sports channel, ESPN, called the "Hunt for Big Fish", and they, naturally, did a show on sturgeon.

<< 1   >>

join