It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has anyone else been watching what is going on in Equador?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I did a search before I posted and I did find one post, on the PTS board, but considering the nature of what is happening there, and well, the way some in our government is messing with our Judicial System well, maybe it also has a place on the ATS board...
Maybe this is the end result of our politicians actions or something??

Ecuador's ousted leader besieged

edition.cnn.com...

"The Brazilian government said Thursday it had granted political asylum to Gutierrez, who was elected to Ecuador's presidency in 2002 but toppled from power Wednesday after a week of violent street protests.

Gutierrez's opponents want him to stand trial in Ecuador on corruption charges. Late last year, Gutierrez replaced Supreme Court judges with his supporters in an effort to avoid impeachment proceedings for corruption."

-----------------------------------------

There is just too much similarity that I can't ignore it....
what do you think?

"Allegations of corruption against Gutierrez, coupled with his harsh economic reforms that critics say fueled poverty and his strengthening ties with the United States, especially in terms of military aid, were all factors driving the protests against him."

like, maybe they are playing by the same rulebook as our administration??

[edit on 23-4-2005 by dawnstar]

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Power of the people
They were unhappy with what they felt was dictatorship from Guiterrez and they made their feelings clearly known by ousting him from office. I find it very interesting that many of the citizens of Ecuador felt that Guiterrez was Bush puppet. It amazes me how protests can work to bring change almost every where else in the world except the USA.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 10:06 AM
link   
You know I wonder why the news are not covering more about Equador after all they are an oil producing country and anything that goes on will affect us.

I found out about the internal conflict when somebody posted here.

Then I also wonder if the US have something to do with the conflict itself.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 11:58 AM
link   
How is what's happening in Ecuador the same or comparable to what's happening in the US?

Last time I checked, Bush wasn't trying to remove Supreme Court Justices and replacing them with his cronies. All he is doing is what EVERY President before him has done, and that is to fill the vacancies that we have in our federal courts. But the Democrats are doing what no other Congress has ever done, and that is fillibustering and threatening to fillibuster any appelate bench nominations. This has never happened before. The American people deserve the right to have these benches filled and have all of our cases brough before a judge. These nominations, who likely have had their lives on hold for as long as they've been nominated, deserve their nominations to come to a vote. Isn't that the basis of democracy? Why are the dems so afraid of having a yes or no vote in the House on these nominations?

This website and these discussion boards are supposed to point out and discuss conspiracies, among other things. But what I'm seeing more and more from the Bush-haters and liberals on here is the fabrication and manufacturing of CONSPIRACIES and CRIMES where none exist at all! It's such a shame that people let their political affiliation and their sickening hatred for our President to cloud their judgement and come up with conspiracies out of thin air.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 12:16 PM
link   
There's a news piece about it ATSNN
Truly horrific continuation of decades old problems.

Really chaotic place at the present.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I don't know.
Depending on just how much of this:

houseofscandal.org...

is true.....well, they might share similar motives. To avoid prosecution??
The ex-president escaped prosecution by the way....flew away to Brazil.

I believe the story has merits on it's own standing, it's a story that has gotten very little if any coverage on the mainstream press in the US, and might be something to watch, in case it grows into a bigger problem.

As our situation here at home deserves close attention, just in case it follows the same path.

[edit on 24-4-2005 by dawnstar]

[edit on 24-4-2005 by dawnstar]

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by dawnstar
I don't know.
Depending on just how much of this:

houseofscandal.org...

That is a great graphic! Interactive no less

What it has to do with Ecuador is lost on me, but wow!

top topics

join