It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space tourism industry to run 'like fast-food franchises'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 11:17 AM
link   
The US Federal Aviation Administration’s Office of Commercial Space Transportation (AST) was/is in charge of regulating space tourism safety, it should be interesting to see how many companies offering this can actually pass the federal regulations as apparently its pretty difficult at this moment in time. There are concerns about safety and I think that pushing tough laws is the only way we can guarntee a safe voyage.

Having people killed on the first flight will not bolster the industry, so its a high concern, which it should be.

Rutan declined to give detailed information about his future business plans before the US House Committee on Science’s Subcommittee on Space and Aeronautics on Wednesday. But he did say he sees it running like a Wendy’s fast-food franchise, with his company implementing strict rules for tour operators about safety and operations. “We won’t sell spaceships to space lines that aren’t safe to fly,” he says.

www.newscientist.com...

EDIT: mistake, thanks sardion for pointing that out

[edit on 22-4-2005 by Linux]

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   
..... Safety is important but not to the point where it drives business away from said country. It will give places like Brazil an advantage as they might be inclined to say to hell with safety. I'm curious to that 500 causualty number
These launches are taking place in sparesly populated areas like New Mexico. If something screws up the chances of someone on the ground getting hurt or killed is pretty low. The few people in the spacecraft would be dead for sure(unless there is some bailout feature like the Canadian Arrow's spacediving stunt heh)

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
..... Safety is important but not to the point where it drives business away from said country. It will give places like Brazil an advantage as they might be inclined to say to hell with safety. I'm curious to that 500 causualty number

I'd rather be assured my life was in good hands and pay the extra x amount.
I'm not sure why the Brazilian government would have to comply with US regulations? The 500 people amount was taken from the article it was giving figures on the first flights, the amount of people they predict to be going. No one was killed but if they aren't cautious enough something might happend and there goes the rest of those patrons. If there space travel forecasts come true it could really boom or flop depending on how things go.

These
launches are taking place in sparesly populated areas like New Mexico. If something screws up the chances of someone on the ground getting hurt or killed is pretty low. The few people in the spacecraft would be dead for sure(unless there is some bailout feature like the Canadian Arrow's spacediving stunt heh)

Very true, I thinking about re-entry as well I found this very interesting tidbit that aims to prevent future accidents.

NASA and the military come to an agreement in which spy satellites will be used to photograph future shuttles in orbit as a way to prevent possible problems

Is it just me or is Newscientist down?

I just caught what you meant about the 500 thing, ignore that. It's just me rushing again

[edit on 22-4-2005 by Linux]

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Linux
Rutan declined to give detailed information about his future business plans before the US House Committee on Science’s Subcommittee on Space and Aeronautics on Wednesday. But he did say he sees it running like a Wendy’s fast-food franchise...

This is troll bait, right? I could probably be sued for my thoughts right now, except I can't type because I am like

[edit on 22-4-2005 by Chakotay]

new topics

top topics

join