It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mothman...giant Owl?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Ive seen artists renderings of the mothman and I think it looks like some kind of giant owl. Ive seen two huge owls fight nearly to the death in an Maryland tobacco field late one night years ago. I was with a large group of friends in one of their relatives tobacco field and we were scared to freakin death. I never knew that owls got that big. First they divebombed eachother. One knocked the other to the ground and they fought on the ground from there. It was absolutley terrifying. They were the size of Id say a full grown Rottweiler only with huge wings.

Text

The screeching sounds they made were unholy and so loud you could probably have heard them a mile away. The way their heads spun around with their huge piercing eyes and huge hooked beaks still haunts me to this day. At first we didnt know what the hell they were. We were in the middle of nowhere running blindly through huge tobacco plants trying to get away but their fight followed us for some reason. We thought they were trying to divebomb and attack us at first. We got ourselves together enough to make torches out of giant tobacco stalks.

Text

We were trying to fend them off with the torches when one knocked the other to the ground and we all just watched aghast in the firelight as these two huge creatures bit, clawed, wrestled and tried beating eachother with their huge wings. It wasnt until then we noticed that they were owls. One just got up and flew away into the woods and the other chased it. A minute later we heard the unholy screeching coming from the far off treeline. We got our wits about us best we could and got the hell out of there.

Text

Now the drawings and eyewitness accounts of the mothman all state that it had huge wings, was the size of a small person and had its eyes in its chest. All of which sound exactly like what we saw that night. Not to say that an owl has its eyes in its chest but could easily be mistaken for having them there by those caught off guard by the huge creature. Ive searched owls online. I have not found any that are as close to being as freakin huge as the monsters we saw that night. They were definetly owls. We got a long long look at both of them as they fought on the ground.

Text

Now if youre familiar with the mothman youve had to have seen an artists drawing of someones close encouter of what the creature looked like Im sure you can find a link with the now infamous pencil sketch as described by a witness from one of the early sightings. They looked like that. Almost exactly. Owls are actually very vicious predators and quite aggresive. The drawings look like what the giant owl would have looked like to an unpleasantly suprised person just as they turned tail and took off. Going to do more owl searching. The mothman thing is new to me but all the eyewitness accounts and artists recreations describe what we saw that night in terrifying detail and the creatures behaviour as described by eyewitnesses sounds like them too. Very aggresive and territorial. Will not hesitate at all to attack a person it sees as trespassing.

Text

They were definitly owls but what owl has a 10ft+ wingspan? They were that big. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The biggest diferences between what we saw and what some others call the mothman is that these things had the biggest talons Ive ever seen. Big enough to fully grasp all the way around a mans head and then some. They had no talons or claws on the tips of their wings that we saw. It has been said the mothman has talons or claws on the tips of their wings. If the mothman is truly some other creature I dont think even it would have gotten in the way of these beasts. Ill never ever forget it. Your thoughts please thank you...SoS..

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Look, put the pipe down a second, ok?
There are NO 7ft tall owls, with firey red eyes that make phone calls.

Ok?

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Look, put the pipe down a second, ok?
There are NO 7ft tall owls, with firey red eyes that make phone calls.

Ok?

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 04:53 PM
link   
It is NOT an owl.

Taken from my eyewitness book Mothman: The facts behind the legend. Every account given from people explained clearly it was NO bird.

What we saw was no bird, much less an owl or a crane. Its body wasn't even close to either of those. I could see the muscles in the arms and legs of the Mothman. They were human-like. Not even close to a bird of any kind.

Another account explains that people in a car were trying to escape the Mothman driving at over 105 Mph. Explain to me how an owl/crane can fly that fast?

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I never said they were 7 feet tall. My best guess is 5. They were dark brown with a gray underside. Now Im planning to go back out Rt.4 with a night vision camera and a rifle. Will I find it? As long as that huge field of genetically altered tobacco is still there the chances are good. I have no explanation for some eyewitness accounts that say it had legs and arms like a man. What I saw were owls. For now its probably the best explanation.

I have noticed how the Point Pleasant Mothman differs a good bit from further credible sightings and how their characteristics changed. I think they got that big from the genetically altered tobacco that got into the foodchain somehow. Sigh...read my Mothman Owl Theory post for more details. Or is it that the giant owl explanation is just to simple for some folks who just want to believe its some supernatural creature or an alien?

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 10:12 PM
link   
NO Owl is 5ft tall, you #in crackhead.

ID

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 11:53 PM
link   
The Mothman sightings are by far one of the strangest groups of sightings and a landmark in cryptozoology. It is commonly speculated that the Mothman is an owl of some sorts however an owl this large would seem impossible. I will give examples of other large birds in an attempt to help give more validity to this case.

Currently, the largest living bird is the North African ostrich, the largest one on record stood 9 feet tall and weighed more that 345 pounds. www.wildlifesurvival.com...

As of now the largest wingspan of a living species is 11 ft. 11 in. the bird was a Wandering Albatross. www.justbirds.org...

While these two living examples do not even come close to the seven foot tall Mothman several cases of extinct birds exceed the dimensions commonly associated with the Mothman myth.

The Elephant Bird or Aepyornis maximust which lived on the coast of Africa as late as 1642 commonly grew to a height of ten feet and is estimated to have weighed as much as 1100 pounds. users.aristotle.net...

In order to glide in the manner reported by many eye witnesses the Mothman would require wings about 24 feet long. This alone seems as though it would discredit the myth until you examine Argentavis Magnificens which had an impressive 25 foot wingspan and is shown below as it once was on display at the Natural History Museum in Los Angeles. www.angelfire.com...

Due to the fact that the Mothman is usually reported as having no head but rather a set of eyes in its upper chest it is commonly believed to be an owl. Currently the largest owls in the world are the European Eagle Owls however based on the location of these sightings the Great Gray Owl makes a much better North American comparison. The Great Gray Owl can grow up to 33 inches and are commonly found in densely wooded areas of the north east. The only problem here is that the size of the Great Gray Owl is nowhere near that of the Mothman. I do not even think it possible for people to over exaggerate a 33 inch owl into a seven foot monster. This being said, if the witnesses were telling the truth about what they saw and were not simply being fooled by their own eyes it is obvious that whatever they saw had to be a different species and not simply a genetic mutation. With a body as large as 7 feet it would be extremely difficult for a bird to fly in the traditional sense. The only way to become airborne would be by catching updrafts and gliding for short periods of time as reported in several Mothman sightings.

As for the glowing red eyes, I dismiss this in very much the same way I do with El Chupacabra sightings. Sightings at night of cryptoids require a light source in order to give a description of the creature; this light source could very easily be reflected in the eyes and give off a green or red “glow.”

With all crypotozoology cases you must take into account that the witness of something this strange is in an extreme state of panic. This may not turn a 33 inch owl into a seven foot one however three feet in mid flight can become seven feet easily when you are panicked and when it is extremely dark. Therefore the Mothman as a completely unaltered species must still remain a possibility.

-id

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I know of a couple of reports from the seventies in England, I believe it was in the Cornwall area, where a couple saw a huge owl-like figure terrorizing them.
Supposedly, this all happened in a cemetary and the discriptions and drawings showed a feathery, tall, owl-face creature that screamed and leapt from tree to tree!

I think that there were other stories, I'll see if I can find them.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Anonymous what is up with your obsession of crack? First pot now crack. Crackheads dont have lives. I have a life and dont smoke crack. What crackhead is going to post in depth details of bizarre sightings on a conspiracy website? Oh I get it your just out of pot and crack and cannot get it off your mind.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 04:23 PM
link   
^ That was uncalled for.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Sorry for the outburst. Nobody seems to want to believe that there may be a somewhat rational explanation for the Mothman. Still sticking to my guns though. The Mothman is some giant bastard owl. Still creeps me out. I believe there may be a good sized population of them too. I just cant get over how some owls on the nature sites Ive searched look like mini-mothman. Im going by the early eyewitness sketches here. Any Mothman site has them. Take a look at them and consider how owl like they are.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I completely agree with the owl theory. The early pictures look a lot like owls. It's only after the Mothman began to receive publicity that it evolved to become more human-like. Like how Paul Bunyan grew and grew.

And no, I don't smoke crack. Or pot.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I simply don't see how it's an owl.
I understand it could LOOK like one, apperance wise, but the size does not add up.
And like one guy said, has anyone ever seen an owl make a phone call? lol
Some thing are just meant NOT to be known.

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Making phone calls? Maybe its not after people maybe its just after better long distance service! sis boom...but really. That all comes from the bizarre Point Pleasant incidents. Just an oddity after the fact that somebody connected to the Mothman ala 6 degrees o Kevin Bacon. Wait a minute..

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 08:37 PM
link   
This is a good webiste about the MOTHMAN and Book also. MOTHMANI have seen the Movie and I really liked the movie, but it was not what really happened in 1966 in Point Pleasant,W. Virginia. I want to get the book and read further on this Mothman. Strange that it will appear to tell of Doom and Catastrophy, and Then will appear out of nowhere to chase couples kissing in the woods!....

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Cause he was running from the Manitoba Bigfoot on the other side! Aaaaaa! Whats next? Bigfoot, the Mothman and the chupacabra are going to form a boy band or something. Today is May 2nd. Just a matter of time before we hear of some chupacabras sightings as the weather gets warmer!

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 10:08 PM
link   
SonofSpy were you not the same poster to have claimed to have found a small nuclear powerplant while wander through the woods when you were a young boy?

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by UnMature
SonofSpy were you not the same poster to have claimed to have found a small nuclear powerplant while wander through the woods when you were a young boy?

Maybe he gets out of the house more then most of the members of ATS? LOL

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   
i dont think your even close about the owl thing
.. like the other guy said, how can an owl be 7 feet tall, make eerie phone calls, fly at speeds of 105 mph, and predict some kind of doom... just because you've seen some freakish owls fighting in a tobacco field doesn't mean its the mothman.. also, how can the mothman actually become someone else( or was that just in the movie?? :puz
anyways the pics look more like a raven or crow than an owl, but thats just what i think.. and sonofspy its seems like your really trying to protect your theory, like u dont want to be wrong

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I think the Mothman is certainly an owl.... no question about it. A bird that's almost 3 feet tall at night with a 5 foot wingspan would freak out a lot of people.

top topics

join