It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: House OKs oil drilling in Alaska refuge

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 09:13 AM
link   
In an effort to ease the need for foreign oil, the House approved the drilling for oil in Alaska's wildlife refuge. The bills sponsors believe they will get as much as a million barrels a day from the Alaskan drilling. Opponents, on the other hand, believe that the drilling will only send billions of dollars to the major energy companies, but offer no relief to the prices in gas.

www.cnn.com
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The House voted late Wednesday to allow oil drilling in an Alaska wildlife refuge as part of a broad energy bill that Democrats said would funnel billions of dollars to highly profitable energy companies while doing little to promote conservation or ease gasoline prices.

The bill's sponsors said oil from Alaska's Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, as much as a million barrels a day, will be needed to help curtail the country's growing dependence on oil imports. Opponents argued the oil wouldn't be available for a decade and even then at levels that would not significantly affect oil prices or imports.

The bill calls for $8.1 billion in tax breaks over 10 years, most of it going to promote coal, nuclear, oil and natural gas energy industries.

Development of the Alaska refuge has been a contentious issue for nearly a decade. Environmentalists fear a spider web of drilling platforms and pipelines would harm the area's polar bears, caribou, migrating birds and other wildlife.

Senate Democrats have pledged to filibuster any energy bill that would open the refuge to oil companies. An amendment to strip the Alaska refuge provision from the energy bill failed Wednesday night 231-200.

A final vote on the energy legislation is expected by the House on Thursday

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I have to admit that I am a bit torn on this subject. The nature lover in me hates the idea of polluting the Alaskan refuge, but the realist in me sees that we need to find a way to remove ourselves from foreign oil. I do however agree with opponets who claim that the benefits from the drilling will not be seen for another 10 or more years.

Related News Links:
www20.overture.com

[edit on 21-4-2005 by mpeake]

[edit on 21-4-2005 by mpeake]

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Too bad that oil will go to Asia. I have no problem in drilling Alaska. 'Natural habitat' is a non-player for the most part in my opinion anyway.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I'm glad to see they finally went with it. You're right though, the US probably won't see much of it, and I'd be extremely surprised to see it ever have an affect on gas prices. I'm surprised it took them this long to do it. I know that we're encroaching on animal habitats, but then again I haven't any owls put up an oil rig in a long time...

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 11:06 AM
link   
1 million barrels per day, oh joy. It'll take a long time to come online and still only be enough to power, like, Wyoming. Peak oil, guys.

Zip

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 08:12 AM
link   
As of Thursday, the House has passed the entire $12 billion energy bill.

msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 08:34 AM
link   
"$12 billion in tax breaks over 10 years and subsidies for energy companies"

energy companies-----record profits....

U.S. Budget........record deficits.......

why are borrowing the money to help them build their businesses? They seem to be in more of a position to build their own business...

top topics

join