It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Transferring to the Canadian military

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Hey so i was wondering if anyone knew anything about transferring to the Canadian Military, or Canadian national Security, from the US army, or any other military force for that matter. I ask cause i have family concidering it, and was hopeing to get some first hand accounts from any military migraters out there. Good, Bad, Ugly? Or does it just not happen?

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 01:07 AM
link   
GOOD

They won't have to fight - probably ever.

BAD

Less pay. Fewer benefits. Fewer career opertunities. Will be looked down on by many (if not most or even all) of peers. Will most likely have to repay a lot of money to the US government.

Ugly

Well, next time they are around a vet and tell them they went to Canada because they wanted to play with guns but never use them in actual combat, they may not get the best reaction.

[edit on 21-4-2005 by American Mad Man]

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Will be looked down on by many (if not most or even all) of peers.

No one will look down on you ,I and everyone else will treat you with respect up here.

Will most likely have to repay a lot of money to the US government.

How can he be forced to pay back money that he earned?

The good thing is he probably won't be put into any wars mostly just humanitarian missions like in Haiti but he will make less money.

Note:Edit to fix code.

[edit on 27-7-2006 by mrwupy]

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 04:44 AM
link   
mad man...

wow. My brother isn't running. When he gets back from his tour in Iraq he's moving to Canada to start a life in a place where his kids grow and nurture with new experiance. I wonder at your motivation for saying "playing with guns" wow man, it takes a serious kind to think of being a combat medic as playing with guns.

I'm here trying to gain some information, your flagrant display of gingoism from a stand point of idiocy is atrocious. You're obviously sombody who hasn't seen death, and i'm so sad that you've spoiled this thread so soon.

You sign up, you go fight.

Good Lord!

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by VaporTrail
mad man...

wow. My brother isn't running. When he gets back from his tour in Iraq he's moving to Canada to start a life in a place where his kids grow and nurture with new experiance. I wonder at your motivation for saying "playing with guns" wow man, it takes a serious kind to think of being a combat medic as playing with guns.

I'm here trying to gain some information, your flagrant display of gingoism from a stand point of idiocy is atrocious. You're obviously sombody who hasn't seen death, and i'm so sad that you've spoiled this thread so soon.

You sign up, you go fight.

Good Lord!

How is it that a person adding there oppionion spoils a thread? And from the sounds of your big words its no suprise your brother is a medic and not somebody brave enough to pull the trigger themselves...

Its a shame they dont send people like you to iraq with your dictionaries and theorsoses to fight off the damm evil world dominating muslims

[edit on 21-4-2005 by AmaruM]

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Its your choice mate, there's nothing wrong with the canadian military.
It doesnt matter if you come back a "vet" or just a "noob" the fact you served and you can say you wore the uniform....

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I'll take a crack at this, since I'm a canadian citizen already, and looking to join the forces myself. American Mad Man seems to have opened his mouth without knowing what he's talking about.

The Good:

1. The Forces are supposed to get a revitalizing 13b$ boost of cash, though it's mostly going for new armor, planes and such.

2. It can help him and his family get their citizenship faster.

3. The pays is generally pretty good, as the government has trouble luring people into the forces, and especially skilled labor. A doctor coming aboard gets a signing bonus of something like 225000$.

4. Transfering among forces is permitted, but be prepared to undergo Basic again. This does, however, mean that one can pick up a lot of skills- many of which are quite useful in the civillian market. And, as a bonus, employers (especially those in the security or policing fields) eat military experience alive.

The Bad:

1. He'll probably have to undergo basic, and maybe even trades again.

2. The equipment can be pretty awful at times. Sea Kings and ancient C7's (M16's done proper) come immediately to mind. However, this should be fixed when the gravy train comes rolling into town.

The Ugly:

1. He'll have to be at least a landed immigrant before they look at him.

Send him here: www.forces.gc.ca...

That should give him some good info.

DE

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   
VaporTrail I don't know anything about the pay, equipment, or anything about canada itself let alone their armed forces. All I know is if your brother thinks it is best for his family for him to go then that is all he needs to worry about not anyone else but his family who cares what the rest of the world thinks!!!

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by VaporTrail
Hey so i was wondering if anyone knew anything about transferring to the Canadian Military[...] from the US army

Huh? This is even possible? A transfer? Wouldn't one have to leave the US army and join the Canadian army? Not transfer?

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Huh? This is even possible? A transfer? Wouldn't one have to leave the US army and join the Canadian army? Not transfer?

Yeah,that's the jist of it. However, previous experience would be taken into account in all odds.

DE

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   
One does not transfer from the US Army to any other armed force before being discharged.

You can be assigned for temporary duty when two governments ask and agree, but that is about it.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   

How can he be forced to pay back money that he earned?

It's not paying back what you have earned, but it's paying back what you are worth

Many people in the U.S. Military can get out and cancel thier contract/enlistment.

However, they have to pay....ALOT.

The payback is based on your rank, how much time you have left, what you job is, how much the Gov't spent on training you, wether you have a clearance or not...and much much more.

Hope that helps

[edit on 21/4/2005 by SportyMB]

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Canada has a military!? When in the Hell did that happen!?

Just kidding Canada! Yeah, it can be done, but not in the form of a "transfer." One would have to receive a discharge from the US military, become a landed immigrant of Canada and apply for military service, pass all of the relevent entrance requirements and be accepted into service. It's no different that if a Mexican citizen wanted to join the US military... which many have. I'm not sure of the number (because I'm too lazy to look it up right now and too brain-dead to remember what it was), but there is a decent percentage of our current military that are NOT US citizens!

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 05:24 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 06:06 AM
link   
you can join any army you want.im shure the french is hiring also.only thing you need is the skill to kill.i have not found one country yet to refuse another to fight there fight.come and join canadas fleet.we need everyone we can find.

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 07:50 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Linux

Originally posted by AmaruM
How is it that a person adding there oppionion spoils a thread? And from the sounds of your big words its no suprise your brother is a medic and not somebody brave enough to pull the trigger themselves...

Its a shame they dont send people like you to iraq with your dictionaries and theorsoses to fight off the damm evil world dominating muslims

Take your shameful ignorance spewing mind elsewhere, you'd be begging for a medic if you were shot. I can't believe people still think muslims are all evil, just goes to show that no matter how much mediation we can give its never good enough.

I wouldnt beg for a medic, because i wouldnt go fight innocent iraqis trying to defend there country. And sorry for not making it clearer, i was being sarcastic about Muslims.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 10:35 PM
link   
would you fight for your family, if it was the last place you could turn for a good job with some street cred to go with it? Push your hate to the cattle feeding hands who deserve it, not the soilders who need your support to wake up every day, In any war, in any place. FOR BOTH SIDES. (yeah it's hard, but you get to go to more BBQ's that way)

PEACE to duce four

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 10:55 PM
link   
You nust of course settle tings with Dept of Defence in the US. After that you should consider applying for Cdn landed immigrant status. Then assuming you have a Canadian sponsor your half way there.

Canada's military enrolment is one of the toughest to earn your way into, even for naturlized Canadians. However, the fishings pretty good so I'm told.

Dallas

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 01:04 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join