It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Iran Bans Al Jazeera

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   
The Iranian government has banned the Al Jazeera news network from Iranian television. The decision was made on Monday after the channel was accused of inflaming violence amongst Irans Arab minority in the southwestern regions of Iran.

www.cbsnews.com
Iran suspended nationwide operations of Arab TV broadcaster Al-Jazeera on Monday, accusing it of inflaming violent protests by Iran's Arab minority in southwestern Iran, state-run TV reported.

Al-Jazeera, which is popular among Iran's Arab-speaking minority, is believed to have been the first news outlet to broadcast news of the unrest. The station's commentators discussed the clashes on talk shows as well.

"If it is proved that Al-Jazeera committed a crime, it will be prosecuted," Mohammad Hossein Khoshvaght, an official at Iran's Culture and Islamic Guidance Ministry, told state-run TV on Monday.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Any network that regularly screens video messages and audio recordings from known terrorists deserves to be closed down.

It is a surprise that the US has not already tried to close down the network after showing videos of Al Qaeda suspects and Osama Bin Laden speaking of their hatred for the western world.

In my opinion Irans actions were correct and Al Jazeera should be shut down in all countries so terrorists have no way of putting their message across.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Thats a good move by Iran. Al Jazeera is a trouble maker. Sometimes I think they report stories just to make people mad so they can report on them being mad. You know?

[edit on 18-4-2005 by Event Horizon]

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 04:54 PM
link   

It is a surprise that the US has not already tried to close down the network after showing videos of Al Qaeda suspects and Osama Bin Laden speaking of their hatred for the western world.

How can the US close them down when they are not yet broadcasting in the US?

[edit on 4/18/2005 by shots]

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 05:44 PM
link   
If Iran is banning al jazeera, and Iran is a front for a lot of international jihadist movements, well, then, Al Jazeera isn't all that tight with interationalist jihad movements right?

I mean, if Iran deemed that Al Jazeera is too 'free' to operate in iran, then thats a good thing for al jazeera, it reminds the rest of us that its just horribly biased.

Also, on 'fake' reports, keep in mind that there is aljazeera.net, and aljazeera.com, and supposedly only one is actually aljazeera.

I've contacted some of their web admin and contacts tho and never gotten an answer on which is official tho.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Iran closed it down because Iran doesn't have constitutionally guaranteed free speech, the United States does.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 07:24 PM
link   
What a joke, the trained dog is biting its master.

Just goes to show the only "free speach" the arab wolrd is interested in is that which criticises the west. When THEY get criticised its shut down immediatly.

Such is the way in corrupt regimes...

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
Just goes to show the only "free speach" the arab wolrd is interested in is that which criticises the west. When THEY get criticised its shut down immediatly.

Such is the way in corrupt regimes...

wrong. Iran is NOT part of the arab world. Al-Jazeera is an arabic news station, which, biased as it may be, expresses the dominant views among arabs, not Iranians. get your facts straight before you make sweeping and ill-founded judgements about something you know little about.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by General Zapata
wrong. Iran is NOT part of the arab world.

So the Iranains SAY, as they demand to be known as persians, but certianly in terms of actions, religion, fanaticism and temprament they are very arab like.

Al-Jazeera is an arabic news station, which, biased as it may be, expresses the dominant views among arabs,

And just how many iranians complained about its coverage before THEY started getting it in the neck? none I bet.

Get your facts straight before you make sweeping and ill-founded judgements about something you know little about.

Why? Its never stopped me before, besides it gives buffoons like yourself something to get irate about

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I'm waiting for:

"US media outlets ban Bush administration lies and propaganda in favor of reform and restoration of journalistic integrity."

Still a while in coming, but worth the wait.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 09:23 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 10:48 PM
link   
The US wants to close down Al Jazeera... They especially wanted it closed down before and during the Iraq war... This is official by the way...

They are a great news-source in my opinon...

Sep

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Al Jazeera fabricated a letter that was responsible for the death of several people in riots. I'd say it is fair to shut it down.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Maybe we outta take some notes here. The Iranians made a good call and in this instance, I would give them the benefit of the doubt.

I remember CNN imflaming the black population with the Rodney King beating tape playing again and again and again until the riots broke out...IMO, news networks should be shut down when their helping to incite riots and street protests.

Maximu§

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sep
Al Jazeera fabricated a letter that was responsible for the death of several people in riots. I'd say it is fair to shut it down.

Sep,
I agree completely with Iran's decision to get rid of Al Jazeera. Maybe our two countries have more in common after all. Al Jazeera has lost a lot of credibility with their National Inquirer style news. They make the US media look honest. Well, almost.

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Makes you wonder if AlJahzeera has got a arab agenda, or, more specific a Sunni-=Arab agenda.

There is some irony in the fact how some hardliners in america and iran jointly applaud actions against al-jahzeera, at least it illustrates that while Al-jazeerA may be a biased network, its not the mouthpiece of teheran

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Has any of you read even a scentence about the station that wasen't uttered by such biosed folks as CNN and the res of the big American news agencies. I remeber hearing a program about Al Jazeera done by a BBC journalist and presented on CBC. From the start Al Jazeera was a publicy funded broadcaster, funded by one of the small arabic states, very importantly the BBC was in the process of disbanding it's own arab new network. Many of the people from the BBC ended up working at Al Jazeera and were an important contribution to their success. Now given that the BBC is given a lot of respect for the integrity of their broadcasting it's not a stretch to say that that carried on through Al Jazeera and the person doing the report confirmed this. Al Jazeera has consistently presented all the news it recieved in a relatively un-bioased way, with the exceptions of the talk shows. Here is one of the reasons why it's both popular and contravertial, these talk shows take the most opposing views possible and stick them in a room together on a regular basis. Naturally given the violence in the region this is not the most carful thing to do, but it does earn them a wide audience. It popularity eventually managed to snowball in that when an arab saw something, say a Palestinian in Palintine, Al Jazeera would be ther person they would call because they were trusted above all the other news agencies. This led to Al Jazeera having access to places and people that western media couldn't touch and has since led to accusations of being in league with the terrorists, the truth is they're just better at reporting the news without bioast then the western media.

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Exactly, while we may or may not like Al-Jahzeera for our own reasons, it doesn't feel very comforting that some hardliner americans share so much opinions and worldviews with the dredded iranian ayatollahs they despise and both claiming that the difference is that our god is the real god and theirs is fake etc....

[edit on 22-4-2005 by Silenus]

top topics

join