It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone own an Ionic Breeze????

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Just watching on G4TV about the Ionic Breezes.
They said the companies selling them may be forced to reimburse everyone who owns one because they not only do nothing to clean the air, but they emit potentially lung damaging ozone into the air!!!!!

I don't have any links but Im sure you can check G4TV.com for show notes on the topic.

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I didn't hear the news above. I believe I read in a recent issue of Consumer Reports that many if not most air cleaners that produce ozone are likely sending people to an earlier grave since ozone in your home can be very harmful to your health. I believe most ozone producing cleaners that were tested didn't appear to be very efficient at cleaning the air compared to other more traditional air cleaners.

www.consumersearch.com...

If you also use an air freshener in combination with an ozone producing air cleaner, you are possibly breathing toxic or cancer causing fumes.

www.ecochem.com...

I forgot to mention that Consumer Reports tests indicated that many ozone type of air cleaners were producing ozone at higher levels than what the manufacturer stated. I believe (someone explain if they want) that an ozone producing air cleaner would be (probably) one that uses electricity to trap particles between metal plates. If you smell a sweet smell in the air near the air cleaner, I believe that is ozone. If you are using a more traditional air cleaner, they don't produce any ozone I believe.

[edit on 18-4-2005 by orionthehunter]

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 11:57 PM
link   
The device ionizes the air and apparently this can create unnatural levels of ozone.

I don't know about it not cleaing the air. They seem to work. The metal lengths collect stuff, and the theory itself seems pretty sound.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Well, it's pretty bad that even cleaing your air can give you cancer nowadays.

I'm jsut waiting for the study that proves sex and talking too loud causes early strokes in our youth.

lol

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 12:12 AM
link   
This is a topic I wanted to find out more about since I know someone who has an electrostatic type of air cleaner in their home. I'm not sure if it is a type that produces ozone or if it is ok or bad. I am suspicious of the air cleaners of this type especially after reading I believe that most aren't very efficient and that ozone may be as bad if not worse than second hand smoke in causing early death. I don't want one of those devices next to a friend's bed or in their house. Since I don't know for sure and my friend says they believe their air is cleaner, I haven't paid much attention to my concern about these devices lately.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Consumer Reports was sued by Sharper Image for libel because of an October 2003 report that said that the Ionic Breeze failed to clean the air--and the court agreed with Consumer Reports, requiring Sharper Image to pay Consumer Reports over $500k in court fees.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

The Consumer Report article is available here, but you have to be a subscriber. The article & survey is summarized below...

www.washingtonpost.com...

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 12:37 AM
link   
dang thats crazy, messing with the ozone is pretty dangerous if you think about it.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I always thought those things looked worthless...glad I never bought one!

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 12:42 AM
link   
this is not new news. i had an ionizer in my van about 8 years ago. that was when i first heard about the report. two symptomes were mentiond that i had. headachs and a runny nose. you know what i had had a runny nose and quite a lot of headachs. i took it out and the problems went away.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 01:28 AM
link   
lol, why is there always at least ONE person that makes it a point to say something like "This is not new news" as if to dilute the value of the message and the posters efforts? Maybe its subconscious but it always erks me when I see it.

In any case, it's apparently new news to everyone else including myself so hopefully this OLD news helps to save some NEW lives.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 01:46 AM
link   
That device always seemed suspicious to me. But that falls into the category of "if it seems too good to be true it probably is." Hepa filters are more expensive to use but they do work.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricCrow
lol, why is there always at least ONE person that makes it a point to say something like "This is not new news" as if to dilute the value of the message and the posters efforts? Maybe its subconscious but it always erks me when I see it.

In any case, it's apparently new news to everyone else including myself so hopefully this OLD news helps to save some NEW lives.

i was not meaning to detract from the discusion. just to point out the fact that it has been known to be a possible problem, then poof it goes away and the devices are even more wide spread. i had thought that they would have discontinued the devices. we stopped carrying the one for cars at that time.

it was a shame that it caused problems. the darned thing realy worked i smoke on my breaks in my vehicles, and am alergic to most perfumes and air freshners. i realy hated to discontinue it's use but if it can contribute to cancer then it was best i stop useing it.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 09:59 AM
link   

the darned thing realy worked i smoke on my breaks in my vehicles, and am alergic to most perfumes and air freshners. i realy hated to discontinue it's use but if it can contribute to cancer then it was best i stop useing it.

You may want to check those cigarettes, too. I'm not sure where I heard or read this, but there's a rumor going around that they can contribute to cancer too! I'd say its best you stop using cigarettes if you're worried about an air ionizer causing cancer.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 10:07 AM
link   
My house is really dusty, so I would be willing to buy it. Everything is really dusty.

There are reviews on a variety of their products at : l

Reviews

On a unrelated note, G4 sucks!

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 10:16 AM
link   
People, stay away from copiers, some of them do produce ozone. If you don't believe me, just smell the air, -- in many cases you'll pick up the typical ozone smell.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by lmgnyc
Consumer Reports was sued by Sharper Image for libel because of an October 2003 report that said that the Ionic Breeze failed to clean the air--and the court agreed with Consumer Reports, requiring Sharper Image to pay Consumer Reports over $500k in court fees.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

The Consumer Report article is available here, but you have to be a subscriber. The article & survey is summarized below...

www.washingtonpost.com...

i work at radioshack and we use consumer report articles all the time i belive radioshack batteries were rated number 1 four years in a row. back to the point we sell lifewise air cleaners that use the same process of using positive and negative diffrences to clean air. our cleaners have been approved by the fda and work way better than any other air cleaner as rated by consumer reports. our new air cleaners certain models can clean the air in a 20 by 12 room 4 times a hour and bigger rooms in a lengthier amount of time ofcourse. there are alot of things we have at radioshack that we sell cheaper than alot of places but consumers keep finding out about our products after they bought a similar device. we sell cell phones and there sold at a cheaper price than the sprint store or verizon. we sell more cell phones than both companies combined. back to the topic i think i read that that our air cleaners release ozone at 500 parts per billion or somthing like that . if you never open a window to let fresh air in your home then ozone can accumalate.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I knew that man on the commercial looked like he was lying and the graphs that they show aren't on the screen long enough for you to analyze them.

top topics

join