It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(news) Iraq Security Forces Raid Hostage Village

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 04:22 AM
link   
The village of Madain, where Sunni Militants were holding Shiite Muslims hostage with threats to kill them has been raided by Iraqi Security Forces. The Militants were holding around hostages and had threatened to kill them unless all Shiite Moslems left the village and surrounding areas. No casualties were reported from the raid and the Security forces have freed at least 15 Shiite families with up to 5 insurgents captured by the Iraqi forces who were backed in the raid by US troops.

story.news.yahoo.com
"There are people who want the Iraqi project to fail. What is going on in Madain is targeting the unity of the Iraqi people. Some kidnapped families could be killed if all Shiites don't leave the village. We can't just denounce this. We must intervene," he said.

The Sunni-Shiite conflict in Madain began Thursday when Sunni militants attacked the village mosque with explosives. Haitham Husseini, a spokesman for the Supreme Council for Islamic Revolution in Iraq, the country's largest Shiite group, said the Madain mosque had been badly damaged. Husseini said about 100 masked militants drove through Madain, capturing Shiite youngsters and old men. He and government officials said 35 to 100 people were taken hostage.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The area where this occured is often called "The Traingle of Death" due to the amount of guerilla attacks and reports are that these insurgants have planted land mines around the village in the effort to keep troops out.

Some residents of the village have stated that there is no hostage situation and said by telephone that media reports are wrong, with some village businesses closing before the attack by the Iraqi forces due to the expectation of heavy fighting.

Related News Links:
story.news.yahoo.com

[edit on 17-4-2005 by Mayet]

[edit on 17-4-2005 by Netchicken]

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 07:19 AM
link   
-intro paragraph wrong, states 'unless Sunnis leave' should be Shiites

(also- 'holding around'??)

Anyway, I voted for it- good story and very timely

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 09:19 AM
link   
what he says Holding around
Holding what around.

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I've sent a message to a supermod to see if it can be fixed, thanks for pointing that out..I can't edit it now

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 10:13 PM
link   
"Triangle" is misspelled, too. What were they holding around? They were holding around the hostages

Good article. It's always nice to hear about hostages being freed, and I also like a good story about the Iraqi "security forces" slapping militants down.

Zip

[edit on 17-4-2005 by Zipdot]

new topics

top topics

join