It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former Labour minister Frank Field dies aged 81

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2024 @ 05:37 AM
link   
It has been announced that Frank Field died yesterday at the age of 81.
He had been suffering from prostate cancer for 10 years.

www.bbc.co.uk...
en.wikipedia.org...

Frank Field was a remarkable rarity; a politician of integrity and a man of conviction.
He wasn't restrained by party allegiance or political ideology, he simply spoke as he found.
He was respectful but never shied away from a fight.

For all he was on the right-wing side of The Labour Party he was passionate about fighting poverty.
Some of his views on immigration and his vocal opposition to Corbyn made him unpopular with some sections of The Labour Party as did his pro-Brexit stance.

But no-one ever questioned his sincerity, well meaning and above all else his integrity.
His honesty and intellect probably prevented him from achieving higher office, a sad reflection on politics here in the UK.

If the current crop of self-serving, self-advancing, careerist politicians would only aspire to conduct themselves to the same standards he set himself this country would be a far better place.

I didn't agree with him on everything, but he is one of a very small handful of politicians in my lifetime who I believe hand on heart tried his best, stood up for his own personal convictions and for the betterment of ordinary British people and for whom I have enormous respect for.

He will be sadly missed.

posted on Apr, 24 2024 @ 05:45 AM
link   
I'm not Labour, but I held Frank Field in high esteem...... British politics have lost a genuine, 'heart-on-sleeve' politician. He will be sorely missed.

I didn't agree with him on everything, but he is one of a very small handful of politicians in my lifetime who I believe hand on heart tried his best, stood up for his own personal convictions and for the betterment of ordinary British people and for whom I have enormous respect for.

Totally agree.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Apr, 24 2024 @ 05:55 AM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel

I can't think of any current parliamentarians and politicians who I hold in anywhere near the same regard.
I'm not saying there aren't any, just none that I can think of or are aware of.

There were rumours that The Tories tried several times to try and get him to defect to them, probably with promises of a senior Cabinet position, yet he always respectfully but firmly rebuffed them.

new topics

join