It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biden says he's considering Australia's request to drop prosecution of Wikileaks founder Assange

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 07:15 PM
link   
www.nbcwashington.com...

Assange has been indicted on 17 espionage charges and one charge of computer misuse over his website’s publication of classified U.S. documents almost 15 years ago.

President Joe Biden said Wednesday that he is considering a request from Australia to drop the decade-long U.S. push to prosecute Wikileaks founder Julian Assange for publishing a trove of American classified documents.

For years, Australia has called on the U.S. to drop its prosecution against Assange, an Australian citizen who has fought U.S. extradition efforts from prison in the U.K. Asked about the request on Wednesday, as he hosted Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida for an official visit, Biden said, “We’re considering it.”

I am in full agreement with the Government of Australia and with everyone else who wants to see Julian Assange a free man. I think this witch-hunt has lasted for too long and it's time for all charges to be dropped and to be released from prison. He is currently held in the UK, HM Prison Belmarsh, and has been imprisoned since 2019. To me this is a political persecution by the US assisted by the UK and it was a huge mistake to imprison him in the first place but they want to make an example of him by showing what happens to individuals who expose dirty secrets, crimes, and wrongdoings, committed by powerful countries.

edit on 11-4-2024 by Consvoli because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I think it's beyond time to let Assange live out his remaining days as the broken shell of a man that he's become.

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Julian Assange is a stain on the wests moral platitude of free speech.

Granted, we do beat out most of the world. You still can’t throw stones when you have obvious examples of hypocrisy.

Clearing this now would at least save some face. It’s far past time to let him walk.

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Consvoli

Just one more political prisoner. He's been imprisoned long enough.

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Consvoli Let him walk.

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 11:13 PM
link   
He's served his time.

While I still don't agree with leaking classified intel to the masses and compromising matters, I think he's learned his lesson.

If he does it again, hang him.

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: GENERAL EYES

5yrs is long enough you think? He is not the one that stole the information as far as I am aware. But he did evade capture while still providing an outlet knowingly compromising all kinds of need to know things.
I guess I can get behind his release but only because his government is asking nicely. But like you said if he mucks up...hang his arse

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 11:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: GENERAL EYES
He's served his time.

While I still don't agree with leaking classified intel to the masses and compromising matters, I think he's learned his lesson.

Wow,a shock and awe democracy spreader supporter.
You think executing civilians from helicopters for sport or fun should be kept hidden?
Disgusting attitude from a moral free person.Satanic even.

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Trump shot himself in the foot for not pardoning Assange.

Biden is desperate for a boost, this might be one.

posted on Apr, 12 2024 @ 01:03 AM
link   
a reply to: glen200376

He lost all integrity by running. They were not going to execute him like everyone was crying about. He should have taken it like a man or woman. Manning did her time and didn't complain. Why can't he stand up and have his day? He chose to run, makes him a cowards in my book.

posted on Apr, 12 2024 @ 03:23 AM
link   
If safety is only guaranteed trough secrecy free nations citizens are in deep trouble.

The day the status quo is in danger, is the day you wish your government was transparent in all things.

If you advocate for secrecy don't wine when it's used against you.

posted on Apr, 12 2024 @ 04:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Terpene
If safety is only guaranteed trough secrecy free nations citizens are in deep trouble.

The day the status quo is in danger, is the day you wish your government was transparent in all things.

If you advocate for secrecy don't wine when it's used against you.

What's that Benjamin Franklin quote that speaks to this?

A little sideways though. Oh yeah, it's:

"Those who chose security (secrecy) over liberty will soon have neither".

edit on 4/12/2024 by SchrodingersRat because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2024 @ 04:24 AM
link   
a reply to: SchrodingersRat

Sure it's all with good intentions but that is also how you pave the way to hell...

posted on Apr, 12 2024 @ 06:06 AM
link   

He's served his time.

So do you think an American journalist should be extradited to another country for publishing classified material about them?

posted on Apr, 12 2024 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: charlest2
a reply to: Consvoli

Just one more political prisoner. He's been imprisoned long enough.

I am in total agreement with you.

posted on Apr, 12 2024 @ 08:28 AM
link   

He's served his time.

He has been imprisoned but unfairly I would say and I don't think he deserved to be jailed and to be persecuted for so many years. He stayed for long time isolated from the world in the Embassy of Ecuador in London before jailed.

I hope other journalists continue to expose corruption-crimes-wrongdoings committed by powerful countries and individuals. He is a political prisoner and the UK is responsible as much as the US for his political persecution.
edit on 12-4-2024 by Consvoli because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2024 @ 09:15 AM
link   
if biden had any sense he'd pardon corn pop if he takes out assange. like an escape from new york type deal, send him in on a hang-glider or some such.. where is assange now, hopefully some multi-story building?

posted on Apr, 12 2024 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: iaylyan
if biden had any sense he'd pardon corn pop if he takes out assange. like an escape from new york type deal, send him in on a hang-glider or some such.. where is assange now, hopefully some multi-story building?

Assange is in a maximum security prison in London.

posted on Apr, 12 2024 @ 09:36 AM
link   
This isn't a free speech case or a whistleblower case.

If he had ONLY leaked evidence of crimes, ya'll would have a leg to stand on.

That's not what he did, so you don't.

He willy nilly dumped an enormous amount of classified material that just happened to include a small percentage that showed wrongdoing. The rest was legitimately classified.

Ya'll need better heroes. This one's a George Floyd.

If he was a hero, you wouldn't need to keep misrepresenting what he did to defend him.
edit on 12-4-2024 by YourFaceAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2024 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Consvoli

Assange is in a maximum security prison in London.

sounds more like a sean connery rock like job then, biden could give him the island..is he still alive?

<<   2 >>

join