It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happy Pi day everyone!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2024 @ 09:14 AM
link   
On this auspicious day, I thought it apropos to mention that I read recently that more than 60% of recent graduating high school seniors could not correctly answer the question "What is the commonly used value of Pi"?

How does that even happen?

I guess schools are too busy teaching Diversity, Equality & Inclusion related stuff to bother with incredibly useful and important things like basic math, reading and science.

Makes me want to cry. I am so glad both of my children went to good schools and had a great mom and actually learned and applied some of this "useless" stuff before they started teaching the important stuff like the above.

The DEI type teachers and school administrators all deserve a damn π in the face! May their circumferences always be a disappointment to them. Although, I'm not sure how they'd even know it since they could not accurately determine it without knowing the equation C=2πr.

edit on 3/14/2024 by SchrodingersRat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2024 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: SchrodingersRat

All done on purpose , so the US collapses. But I know you know this. If 12 years ago , I had been as awake as I am now I would not have had my son. The world is doomed (if the US collapses the rest of the world will follow ).
edit on 14-3-2024 by ScarletDarkness because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2024 @ 10:06 AM
link   

How are you sure it’s because of dei that kids don’t now pi?

You just attaching one failing to something you don’t agree with, as we know with pi it proves something , what is your proof this has anything to do with dei ?

posted on Mar, 14 2024 @ 10:09 AM
link   

A good Pie is worth it's weight in gold, especially with some nice potatoes!!

Joking aside, thats really sad to hear.

posted on Mar, 14 2024 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Pi day is psy-op by Big Math to push geometry on us.

posted on Mar, 14 2024 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Kurokage

a cajun's son came back from collage one day.
while they were having supper he asked his son to tell him what he is learning.
the son said: well one thing we learned is pi r squared.
the cajun said: damn boy i'm just wasting my money. everybody know pie are round, corn bread are square.

edit on 14-3-2024 by BernnieJGato because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2024 @ 10:19 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 14 2024 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Well that won't help you do a selfie stream on Instagram. Which is the most important part of high-school now. And with safe spaces meaning more than very basic math...

But now that we are on it, public high scools, not in affluent districts, get left way behind anyways. You go a mile away to St. Whoever's Catholic School and they learn about fractals after transubstantiation and before they read A Brave New World. Which public schools won't read anymore because Aldous Huxley was a into eugenics.

But it's a seque to post Nightwish again.

edit on 14-3-2024 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2024 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: UpIsNowDown2

You just attaching one failing to something you don’t agree with, as we know with pi it proves something , what is your proof this has anything to do with dei ?

I'm just speculating. That's what we do here.

Why do you think they don't know the value of 𝝅?

Do you have a better answer? Or do you just want to be snarky and all woke or something?

Inquiring minds want to know and all that.

edit on 3/14/2024 by SchrodingersRat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2024 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Degradation33

Well that won't help you do a selfie stream on Instagram. Which is the most important part of high-school now. And with safe spaces meaning more than very basic math.

I had forgotten that. A thousand pardons. Or is it 1000 pardons?

Either way....

D'oh!

posted on Mar, 14 2024 @ 10:56 AM
link   

F*ck if I know, I went to public high school and then something analogous to a four year university. Good basketball team though.
edit on 14-3-2024 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2024 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Degradation33

F*ck if I know, I went to public high school and then something analogous to a four year university. Good basketball team though.

Same here although we had a nationally ranked Division 1 hockey team.

Of course, being the baseball player that I was I chose to go there since our baseball team was Division 3.

Yay me!

posted on Mar, 14 2024 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Degradation33

But it's a seque to post Nightwish again.

I was thinking "what does a programming language have to do with a music video?" I thought you might have meant "segue".
But, I watched the video and I believe you were correct!
LOL!

posted on Mar, 14 2024 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: SchrodingersRat

I'm just speculating. That's what we do here.

Why do you think they don't know the value of 𝝅?

Do you have a better answer? Or do you just want to be snarky and all woke or something?

Inquiring minds want to know and all that.

It appears that we have a dedicated little ATS swat team now, ready to jump into every thread to support and defend DEI.

Seems to have replaced Hamas which replaced trans which replaced BLM as the cause du jour among SJW’s at ATS.

posted on Mar, 14 2024 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Pi is indicative of STEM which is now in the dustbin of academia because the kids need to be studying DEI, CRT, 1619, BLM, LGBT, anal, oral, and 69.

posted on Mar, 14 2024 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Why was this thread moved to General Chit Chat ffs?!?

The OP was indicative of a larger issue re: education in our schools today and DEI.

Is that "General Chit Chat"?

C'mon man!

posted on Mar, 14 2024 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Yesterday, at the 7/11, the 20 something y/o cashier dude didn't know what Pi is. Pizzas are $3.14 there today. He thought it was for 7/11's birthday. He gave me a blank look when I said "it has nothing to do with pi? you know three point one four?

posted on Mar, 14 2024 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Yesterday, at the 7/11, the 20 something y/o cashier dude didn't know what Pi is. Pizzas are $3.14 there today. He thought it was for 7/11's birthday. He gave me a blank look when I said "it has nothing to do with pi? you know three point one four?

posted on Mar, 14 2024 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: SchrodingersRat

Why was this thread moved to General Chit Chat ffs?!?

The OP was indicative of a larger issue re: education in our schools today and DEI.

Is that "General Chit Chat"?

C'mon man!

Go see who moved it and you’ll have your answer.

posted on Mar, 14 2024 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Here is the simple but unpalatable truth. Approximately 63% of the population doesn't know the commonly used numerical value of Pi. The 63rd percentile of the population corresponds to an IQ of 105. Essentially what this means is that you need an IQ of around 105 or greater to operate with mathematics often enough and skillfully enough to remember what the concept of Pi means and what its approximate numerical value is--assuming you were taught that information in the first place.

This has nothing to do with whether or not kids take DEI classes; you simply have to have an above average IQ to be good at math.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join