It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Slime-Mold Beetles Named After Bush, Cheney, & Rumsfield (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 08:12 AM
link   

The job of providing names for 65 different, recently discovered variations of the Agathidium (slime-mold beetle), presented entomologists, Kelly B. Miller and Quentin Wheeler, with a great opportunity. In honor of Bush, Cheney, and Rumsfield, 3 of the new beetles have been named A. bushi Miller and Wheeler, A. cheneyi Miller and Wheeler and A. rumsfeldi Miller and Wheeler. After all, what could be better than having a slime-mold beetle named after you, right?

www.boston.com
Naming the beetles after Bush, Cheney and Rumsfeld was intended to pay homage to them, said Wheeler, who taught at Cornell University for 24 years and now is with the Natural History Museum in London.

"We admire these leaders as fellow citizens who have the courage of their convictions and are willing to do the very difficult and unpopular work of living up to principles of freedom and democracy rather than accepting the expedient or popular," he said.

For anyone looking to hunt down one of the new slime-mold beetles, Wheeler said that Agathidium bushi has so far been found in southern Ohio, North Carolina and Virginia. Rumsfeldi and cheneyi are from south of the border in Mexico.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think this was a sincere, noble gesture on the entomologists part, and I can't imagine a more apporpriate creature to bear their names.

Related News Links:
www.news.cornell.edu
tolweb.org
www.probertencyclopaedia.com
www.cnn.com

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I heard about that right after i woke up and turned on my computer...gave me a good laugh! I think if they hear about that it hits them right where it hurts lol! Keep up the good work!

join