It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earhart's plane possibly seen on the ocean floor in new SONAR image

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2024 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I confess that I am impressed with this man's balls to the walls effort in solving this mystery.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

This is maybe the most exciting thing I'll ever do in my life,' Romeo told the Wall Street Journal.

'I feel like a 10-year-old going on a treasure hunt.'

'For her to go missing was just unthinkable,' Romeo said. 

Adding: 'Imagine Taylor Swift just disappearing today.'

Romeo spent $11 million to fund the trip and buy the high-tech gear needed for the search including an underwater 'Hugin' drone manufactured by the Norwegian company Kongsberg. 

The expedition launched in in early September from Tarawa, Kiribati, a port near Howland Island, with a 16-person crew aboard a research vessel.

In outings that lasted 36 hours each, the unmanned submersible scanned 5,200 square miles of ocean floor.

I've always been into the mystery surrounding Earhart and Noonan's disappearance. I have actually visited Earhart's childhood home which is now a museum in lovely little Atchison, KS. We went on a road trip to visit some "mystery" sites and I must say, many of the tiny hole in the wall Midwest towns were just.... lovely.

There have been many other searches, obviously and a lot of money spent looking, this expedition thinks they've spotted the wreckage at a depth of about 5000 feet and within 100 miles of Howland Island which is roughly the theorized crash area (if it was a crash..................).

What do you guys think? Did Amelia run out of fuel and crash into the ocean? Or did something more nefarious happen?

posted on Jan, 28 2024 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Shoshanna

I’ve never thought that any of the conspiracy theories about Earhart made much sense.
They missed their nav points and made a water landing.

As for finding the plane..
We will see. There are a load of planes scattered all over the ocean floor so finding a specific one is no easy task.
Hopefully this is the one so we can put all of those theories to rest.

posted on Jan, 28 2024 @ 10:29 AM
link   

What do you guys think? Did Amelia run out of fuel and crash into the ocean? Or did something more nefarious happen?

In an age of GPS, sonar, and Lidar we still have planes go missing never to be discovered.

The fact that it happened before some of those technologies comes to no surprise.

posted on Jan, 28 2024 @ 10:57 AM
link   
It would be nice if this was her plane. I am intrigued and will follow this. My wife is interested too, she was always a fan. We especially loved her guest appearance on an episode of Star Trek Voyager. Hopefully there will be a chance to finally lay her remains to rest properly, with a memorial where her descendants and generations of fans can pay their respects.

My other thought though is it may just be a downed WW2 Japanese plane.

posted on Jan, 28 2024 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

We especially loved her guest appearance on an episode of Star Trek Voyager.

posted on Jan, 28 2024 @ 11:26 AM
link   

I think it's a long stretch to even imagine that sonar image to be THE plane.

To me, it looks like that plane has swept wings. Her Lockheed Electra was a straight-wing plane.
edit on 28-1-2024 by charlest2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2024 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Seems like a publicity piece paid for by this Kongsberg company more than anything else.

posted on Jan, 28 2024 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Earhart died in Japanese custody?

Impossible to confirm identity of the aircraft with sonar. Just like it's impossible to confirm the identity of the photographed person in the article.

posted on Jan, 28 2024 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

I don’t remember the exact details but that photo has been debunked long ago.
It was a photo out of a tourist brochure or some such that was printed several years before she disappeared.

Found it.. it’s from a Japanese photo book published in 1935.

www.npr.org...
edit on 28-1-2024 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2024 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

Josh Gates, Expedition X will pick this one up sometime this season.
edit on 28-1-2024 by charlest2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2024 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: charlest2

I think it's a long stretch to even imagine that sonar image to be THE plane.

To me, it looks like that plane has swept wings. Her Lockheed Electra was a straight-wing plane.

Yes , Looks like a 50's Era Sabre Jet .

posted on Jan, 28 2024 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I think some of these mysterious disappearances, if not most of them, never crashed or disappeared.

I believe some people decided to go into covert work. They are reported crashed or missing, never to be found. They now don't exist, and will do the dark job they accepted.

Flight 19 is another one, imo.

posted on Jan, 28 2024 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Interesting, but sonar images can be hit and miss. I recall the 'Millennium Falcon' case was criticised because analysis later revealed the sonar wasn't calibrated correctly.

In any case, I diid a quick five minute photoshop job...

Sonar image:

Lockheed Model 10 Electra:

Plane overlaid:

Just outline ovwrlaid:

I'm not convinced, but it would be nice if it were; then the ghost of Amelia could be laid to rest once and for all.

posted on Jan, 28 2024 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I really hope it is ... I admire this guy for just tossing his life savings at this project and hope he is rewarded for it.

posted on Jan, 28 2024 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Encia22

Very informative post.

It was a twin-engine machine, which in the event of an engine failure could result in the side without thrust hitting the water first. This could be the reason for the bent wing, but it doesn't necessarily have to be. There is also talk of a turning maneuver, the tanks are located in the wings, which can sometimes lead to supply problems when the fuel level is low and there is lateral acceleration. I know this from my car, although I assume that the early aircraft tanks had honeycombs or chambers, if only to prevent sloshing.

Everything is just speculation.

posted on Jan, 28 2024 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Miles Mathis has a great piece on the woman , And her sister sure looks a lot like her in the photo

mileswmathis.com...

My sense of smell is not good but I sure can turn up conspiracy stuff

edit on 28/1/2024 by stonerwilliam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2024 @ 04:45 AM
link   

edit on 1/29/2024 by yeahright because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2024 @ 10:21 AM
link   
looks like an old mig to me.

top topics

join