It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida House passes a bill to ban social media accounts for children under 16

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2024 @ 09:08 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Lol of course you just can't resist responding to me in a derogatory way. You're very tedious but amusing. Weird, because I think we're on the same side on this, yet you still feel the need to react angrily to me. Guess it's a personal thing then. I'm sorry you have difficulty handling your emotions.

Please link to the cases of the state paying so "children can have their genitals cut off".

I'll wait. But I notice you did not address anything in the post about loosening laws around young people and dangerous work environments and forced motherhood of teens, yet not allowing them on Instagram.

posted on Jan, 25 2024 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: frogs453

Spare me and source your claims.

There have been multiple threads about the evil left gutting children.

posted on Jan, 25 2024 @ 09:32 PM
link   
So, we want people to be closed off from anything other than the controlled narrative until they are almost ready to vote. ... Florida keeping it crazy as always.

posted on Jan, 25 2024 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Florida children under the age of 16 would be banned from popular social media platforms regardless of parent approval under a bill passed by the House on Wednesday, a measure that is the top priority for the chamber’s speaker.

The problem is that not all children are created equal, some are very mature and responsible at very young ages. How would they handle those children that have emancipation (all the rights of adulthood)? An emancipated child's rights would surely be violated.

Some parents won't stand for this intrusion.

www.findlaw.com...

Why not make laws to fix the internet rather than making laws to take away people's rights?

posted on Jan, 26 2024 @ 04:33 AM
link   

edit on 1/26/2024 by yeahright because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2024 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Let's see the stable geniuses implement and police such a ludicrous notion.

posted on Jan, 26 2024 @ 05:53 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

So you cannot provide a link to the state paying so "children can have their genitals cut off". Typical, attack me and can't support your own claim.

Yet you request one from me.

Guess what here's a comprehensive list of laws passed and proposed bills to cut protections of children workers. I always can back up a claim:
E conomic Institute

As for teens in Florida denied an abortion after they applied for a judicial bypass, due to not having a parent and being in foster care or some other type of situation, the link is below. Often deemed "too immature" for an abortion but apparently not " too immature" to be a mother.

A comprehensive breakdown can be downloaded here, if you feel the reporting of it is not sufficient within the article itself.

hrw.org

posted on Jan, 26 2024 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Government Overreach Again . Will this Ever End ?

posted on Jan, 26 2024 @ 07:12 AM
link   

WTF!? Have the republicans in Florida been drinking the democrat totalitarian Kool-aid?

Authoritarian kook-aid more like.

Even the Boys & Girls Clubs of America, which I hope is still perceived as impeccably non-ideological, takes the position that “Choosing when kids have social media accounts should be based on your family values, conversations with your children and their development level.”

This is all evidence that the “parents’ rights” mantra heard here for the last few years was always just a cover for censorship by the governor, the legislature, and the little army of book banners that have been unleashed on Florida.

Politicians who call themselves “conservative” don’t dictate to families how to raise their children.

www.tallahassee.com...
edit on q00000013131America/Chicago0000America/Chicago1 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2024 @ 07:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: quintessentone

Florida children under the age of 16 would be banned from popular social media platforms regardless of parent approval under a bill passed by the House on Wednesday, a measure that is the top priority for the chamber’s speaker.

The problem is that not all children are created equal, some are very mature and responsible at very young ages. How would they handle those children that have emancipation (all the rights of adulthood)? An emancipated child's rights would surely be violated.

The minimum age for emancipation in Florida is 16, no "rights of adulthood" are being taken away.

fldivorce.com...

Why not make laws to fix the internet rather than making laws to take away people's rights?

Not going to even go there on this one, too many rabbit holes to go down that will veer us off topic.

posted on Jan, 26 2024 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: quintessentone

From your link…

Even the Boys & Girls Clubs of America, which I hope is still perceived as impeccably non-ideological

Non ideological? LoL

The boys and girls club are as woke as it gets.
They’re teaching kids to be racists and activists.
They are full blown Marxists and want your kids to be one.

From the boys and girls club site….
“When supporting kids and teens, infuse the principles of DEI to build welcoming, safe places where all belong.”
www.bgca.org...
Discarded.

posted on Jan, 26 2024 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vermilion

From your link…

Even the Boys & Girls Clubs of America, which I hope is still perceived as impeccably non-ideological

Non ideological? LoL

The boys and girls club are as woke as it gets.
They’re teaching kids to be racists and activists.
They are full blown Marxists and want your kids to be one.

From the boys and girls club site….
“When supporting kids and teens, infuse the principles of DEI to build welcoming, safe places where all belong.”
www.bgca.org...
Discarded.

Your opinion not the opinion of many others. Here we go again.

The point is that Florida government now wants to usurp parental rights.
edit on q00000004131America/Chicago2020America/Chicago1 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2024 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Is that as bad as California, conspiring with children to lie to their parents, about their behavior at school?

The fact is, and this is a fact. While fakebook appears to be a great social place. It's true purpose is to track and manipulate you. It's the worst thing to hit the human race since meth. They shouldn't ban kids from fakebook, they should ban fakebook.

But all the dopamine addicted fakebook user would go crazy.

posted on Jan, 26 2024 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Unknownparadox

Is that as bad as California, conspiring with children to lie to their parents, about their behavior at school?

The fact is, and this is a fact. While fakebook appears to be a great social place. It's true purpose is to track and manipulate you. It's the worst thing to hit the human race since meth. They shouldn't ban kids from fakebook, they should ban fakebook.

But all the dopamine addicted fakebook user would go crazy.

Facebook and other social media platforms are also an important positive socialization medium for children and they (government) just want to throw out all the good with the bad. This is not a well thought out bill and parents will rise up to protest, I am sure of that.

posted on Jan, 26 2024 @ 08:46 AM
link   

It is a fact that DEI policies are racist and Marxist. Not opinion, a simple fact.

I don’t like when government starts banning random things.
In this instance it’s a good move.

Social media has proven to be extremely harmful to children. Fact.

Social media companies are tracking and manipulating children who use their sites. Fact.

“it targets any social media site that tracks user activity, allows children to upload material and interact with others and uses addictive features designed to cause excessive or compulsive use.”
If the social media sites weren’t targeting kids then they wouldn’t be banned. Fact.

Maybe parents should push for these companies to stop those malicious practices against kids so that their precious children can have access.
If parents think social media is such a beneficial thing for their kids then they’ll just log them in.
I get the pushback from a ‘government overreach’ perspective but from a ‘parental rights’ perspective this pushback is just ridiculous.
Some of you are acting like government is taking the whole internet away from kids.
It’s just a few stupid social media sites which are garbage anyway who target kids that are affected.
Nobody is damaged by this bill, except those social media companies. Cry me a river.

posted on Jan, 26 2024 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Facebook and other social media platforms are also an important positive socialization medium for children
You're saying that a product that was meant to, addict you, spy on you, and manipulate you has some positives?

This is not a well thought out bill and parents will rise up to protest, I am sure of that.

I have no doubt of that, parents who use meth, generally addict their children. And they both see nothing wrong with the drug.

posted on Jan, 26 2024 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
It's stupid "common sense" laws that they keep passing.

Wear seatbelts.

Okay, if you don't you'll die, but do we NEED government to tell us that?

Wear helmets when riding a motorcycle.

Duh.

But they make laws.

Don't let your children access adult issues on the internet. . .

And we really need government to tell us that?

WTF??????

Yes. Yes we do need government to tell us that. Just like we need people to pay for their gas before they put the nozzle in the tank. Just like we need metal detectors in our schools. Just like we need labels on peanut jars. Stupid is a protected class.

edit on 26-1-2024 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2024 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Vermilion

Maybe parents should push for these companies to stop those malicious practices against kids so that their precious children can have access.

Who has taxpayer's money and the power to effect such important needed changes? That's right, the government. What does government do instead? Not take on the good fight but the easy way by taking away the rights of it's citizens.

posted on Jan, 26 2024 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Unknownparadox

Facebook and other social media platforms are also an important positive socialization medium for children
You're saying that a product that was meant to, addict you, spy on you, and manipulate you has some positives?

This is not a well thought out bill and parents will rise up to protest, I am sure of that.

I have no doubt of that, parents who use meth, generally addict their children. And they both see nothing wrong with the drug.

Again, throwing out the good with the bad is just poor decision-making and leadership and the government's easy way out.

Then again maybe this is just a continuation of their war on LGBTQ which will effectively isolate some children from being among a safe and welcoming online community.

posted on Jan, 26 2024 @ 09:04 AM
link   

What does government do instead?

What the government does is, condone the spying activities of big business/bigtech. Because it's really the government spying on you. Anytime they want. They can force cellphone companies, social media, and anyone else tracking you. to hand over all information on you. And with T.V's, thermostats, cars, computers, cellphones, appliances, electric meters, and just about anything else you can think of, tracking you, recording you. They have a lot of data on you.

This is nothing more than a publicity stunt. The bill won't pass or it will be struck down.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join