It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas installs more razor wire on Eagle Pass border after Supreme Court said Biden could remove it

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2024 @ 01:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: liberalskeptic

Is breaking laws passed by the US Congress a lawful order?

Ok, so first off, you apparently don't understand English grammar because your question has all sorts of grammar issues. You also demonstrate a serious misunderstanding of civics because you suggest that only Congress can pass laws. Congress can only pass a law with the approval of the current President. Presidents, on the other hand, can create laws through Executive Orders within certain restrictions. But I will reinterpret your word salad in the spirit I think it was asked: "Does implementing a policy and ordering Federal administrative branch agencies to not enforce a US law passed by Congress and signed by the President and upheld by Federal courts a lawful order?"

It depends. If the president did not sign them then they are not laws. If the courts overruled them on Constitutional or other grounds, they are no longer US laws. Even if they are laws, prosecutorial discretion comes into play. There are many laws that simply are never prosecuted. It is illegal to drive a motor vehicle through Phoenix in the afternoon because they spook the horses. So tens of thousands of violators a day are ignored. There are thousands of examples of archaic or otherwise stupid laws on the books at every level. So just because something is a law does not mean it can or should be enforced. Administrations are not obligated to enforce every law.

Perhaps you could provide a specific order that I can comment on. Because the specific action we are discussing was determined by SCOTUS to be an unlawful order by Texas Governor Abbott. If you are referring to a different order please cite the case.
edit on 25-1-2024 by liberalskeptic because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-1-2024 by liberalskeptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2024 @ 02:49 AM
link   

TL
R

"I dont' know."

posted on Jan, 25 2024 @ 04:12 AM
link   

edit on 1/25/2024 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2024 @ 07:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: liberalskeptic

originally posted by: watchitburn

Come try it.

If the federal government refuses to do it's Constitutionally obligated duty, then Texas has that legal obligation to do it itself.

How about we start arresting feds at airports and highway checkpoints?

As you said, try it. A county sheriff or local cop who arrests a fed would face serious federal charges and likely spend the rest of their life in federal prison. They know this. Federal marshals enforce federal court orders. They can ask for assistance from other federal LE agencies. State LEOs have absolutely no authority after the SCOTUS order. They have no protection.

Now you're talking out of your nether regions. Stop now before your innards fall out.

posted on Jan, 25 2024 @ 07:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: liberalskeptic

originally posted by: JinMI

Is breaking laws passed by the US Congress a lawful order?

Ok, so first off, you apparently don't understand English grammar because your question has all sorts of grammar issues. You also demonstrate a serious misunderstanding of civics because you suggest that only Congress can pass laws. Congress can only pass a law with the approval of the current President. Presidents, on the other hand, can create laws through Executive Orders within certain restrictions. But I will reinterpret your word salad in the spirit I think it was asked: "Does implementing a policy and ordering Federal administrative branch agencies to not enforce a US law passed by Congress and signed by the President and upheld by Federal courts a lawful order?"

It depends. If the president did not sign them then they are not laws. If the courts overruled them on Constitutional or other grounds, they are no longer US laws. Even if they are laws, prosecutorial discretion comes into play. There are many laws that simply are never prosecuted. It is illegal to drive a motor vehicle through Phoenix in the afternoon because they spook the horses. So tens of thousands of violators a day are ignored. There are thousands of examples of archaic or otherwise stupid laws on the books at every level. So just because something is a law does not mean it can or should be enforced. Administrations are not obligated to enforce every law.

Perhaps you could provide a specific order that I can comment on. Because the specific action we are discussing was determined by SCOTUS to be an unlawful order by Texas Governor Abbott. If you are referring to a different order please cite the case.

Oops, too late.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join