It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sun unleashes monster X-class solar flare, most powerful since 2017

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2023 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Sun unleashes monster X-class solar flare, most powerful since 2017

The flare may have been accompanied by a plasma eruption aimed at Earth.

Snip

CMEs that hit Earth can spawn geomagnetic storms, which can disrupt power grids and other infrastructure. Such storms can also supercharge the auroras, making these celestial light shows more intense and visible over greater areas.

Earth's atmosphere prevents solar flares' harmful radiation from reaching the ground. But that radiation can still affect our lives — for example, by affecting the signals sent by GPS and communications satellites and causing radio blackouts.

Indeed, today's flare "caused a deep shortwave radio blackout over the Americas," SpaceWeather.com wrote.

We could see more solar action soon, for the sun is getting more and more active these days.

www.space.com...

I saw several meteors early this a.m. on my way to work and read about others here that also experienced the showers. I heard from a coworker that some of her friends saw the auroras and that was also cool.

I just came across this and it's pretty interesting. I wasn't aware that the solar activity waxes and wanes on an 11 year cycle so I learned something new. Anyway, just thought I'd share.

It was also interesting to me that this solar flare of such magnitude AND the meteor showers happened around the same time.

posted on Dec, 14 2023 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

It was also interesting to me that this solar flare of such magnitude AND the meteor showers happened around the same time.

That's just a coincidence, but still pretty cool.

GET READY TO GREET THE GEMINID METEOR SHOWER!

edit on 14-12-2023 by IndieA because: Added thoughts

posted on Dec, 14 2023 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: IndieA

Coincidence ?

how old are you ??? There is no such thing as coincidence mate.

posted on Dec, 14 2023 @ 10:45 PM
link   
What he means is one had nothing to do with the other.

Peace

posted on Dec, 14 2023 @ 10:56 PM
link   
SOHO Gallery

Good collection of the solar flares since 1997. If a big one wanted to strike Earth for some reason, back to the steam age.
edit on 14-12-2023 by kwaka because: added year.

posted on Dec, 14 2023 @ 11:05 PM
link   

The sky is falling. It's solar warming due to burning fossil fuel and bovine flatus. The Greta Thunberg prophesies are coming to life.

Yes, this is sarcasm.

posted on Dec, 14 2023 @ 11:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: kwaka
SOHO Gallery

Good collection of the solar flares since 1997. If a big one wanted to strike Earth for some reason, back to the steam age.

posted on Dec, 15 2023 @ 02:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: kwaka
SOHO Gallery

Try beginning of the iron age. The knowledge base and available black smithing equipment would have to be built up again. Lots of raw material just laying around but would one person in ten thousand know how to forge it?

Iron age in 25 to 50 years. Steam in 100 to 200 years.

posted on Dec, 15 2023 @ 03:15 AM
link   
a reply to: BeyondKnowledge3
Sounds fun at least compared to the alternative I'm not much a fan of where technology has taken us so far

If not for the whole 90% of the population wiped out because of how much we need that technology to feed our current population

posted on Dec, 15 2023 @ 05:05 AM
link   
(Spam removed)
edit on 15/12/2023 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2023 @ 05:09 AM
link   
When was the last time a solar flare knocked out a power grid? I’m curious.

posted on Dec, 15 2023 @ 05:39 AM
link   
a reply to: 38181

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrington_Event

posted on Dec, 15 2023 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: BeyondKnowledge3

Just for the information, should you need trade goods for something from a blacksmith, they will trade for borax.

It is not something that will be taken from stores by most people that cleaned out the cans goods but it is welding flux. It can be used in forge welding or torch welding.

posted on Dec, 15 2023 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: asabuvsobelow

originally posted by: IndieA

Coincidence ?

how old are you ??? There is no such thing as coincidence mate.

Old enough to know that sometimes two or more unrelated events occur at the same time.

posted on Dec, 15 2023 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: 38181

Quebec 1989 .

posted on Dec, 15 2023 @ 12:08 PM
link   

If ever we needed another Carrington Event it is now...... please.

posted on Dec, 15 2023 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: SituationNAFU

If ever we needed another Carrington Event it is now...... please.

They say one shouldn't wish for that stuff but if it happened it would definitely separate the men from the bo....,
the men from the wom...., the men from the shee.....,

If nothing else, it would shift the focus from shallow and unimportant to what really matters.

top topics

join