It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inventors who regretted their inventions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2023 @ 01:09 PM
link   
The Keurig coffee K-Cup, the emoji, and Mother's Day. Who needs 'em? From the atomic bomb to the pop-up ad, this story features a list of things that range from annoying to horrific. Reader's Digest is still going, bringing us human interest stories.

Regretting Their Inventions

We should probably discuss inventions that are also useful. A Vermont inventor gave us sandpaper? Who knew?
Here you can find the most famous invention from your state.

For our friends in other lands, here is a list of notable inventions. There are some arguments, as in the Russia vs. France helicopter invention, but both countries contributed greatly, and deserve shared honors, imho.
There are also "we were first" claims on the automobile, the AC motor, radio, photograhy, and just about every modern technology, like DVDs, video games, etc, etc.

posted on Dec, 3 2023 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger2

Haha, Florida Gators invented Gatorade. Awesome. I wonder if Pepsi still pays them royalties on production??

posted on Dec, 3 2023 @ 02:12 PM
link   

That list has so many that are wrong.

posted on Dec, 3 2023 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

Which ones do you think are the most dubious?

posted on Dec, 3 2023 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger2

From those i remember, Jeans, Light bulbs, Traffic Lights and TV where not invented in The US. Probably a few more.

posted on Dec, 3 2023 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

That's not a secret. I wonder how that info escaped you all these years. Heck, it's even in the name.

posted on Dec, 3 2023 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I am certain Ogg at least partley regretted inventing/discovering fire. All the ones it has hurt might outweigh all the ones it has saved.

All inventions are two edge swords. Look at whiteout as an example. It makes a good release agent for canister forging but can also be huffed. Both can be deadly and neither is an intended use.

posted on Dec, 3 2023 @ 07:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger2

From those i remember, Jeans, Light bulbs, Traffic Lights and TV where not invented in The US. Probably a few more.

The television was John Logie baird a Scottish dude I was in school with a girl who was related to him and our museum had a very early version that looked more like a spinning wheel with a 8 or 9 inch piece of glass , it looked nothing like a television

posted on Dec, 5 2023 @ 07:32 AM
link   
The Brazen Bull invented by Perilaus.

According to legends, the brazen bull was designed in the form and size of an actual bull and had an acoustic apparatus that converted screams into the sound of a bull.

The condemned were locked inside the device, and a fire was set under it, heating the metal until the person inside was roasted to death. This instrument of torture is most associated with the name of the tyrant Phalaris.

Stories allege after finishing construction on the execution device, Perilaus said to Phalaris: "His screams will come to you through the pipes as the tenderest, most pathetic, most melodious of bellowings."

Perilaus believed he would receive a reward for his invention. Instead, Phalaris, who was disgusted by these words, ordered its horn sound system to be tested by Perilaus himself, tricking him into getting in the bull.

When Perilaus entered, he was immediately locked in and the fire was set, so that Phalaris could hear the sound of his screams.

top topics

join