It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Geneva and Roland - A Fairy Tale

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2023 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Geneva was the most beautiful woman in the realm.Everybody knew it. Nobody had a doubt. Nobody that is exceptGeneva.

Roland was the greatest knight in the realm. Everybody knew it. Nobody had a doubt, not even Roland. He could take on fifty enemies by himself. He had done it before.

Geneva was afraid. Her husband, Stugard, had sworn to return some day to kill her. You see, one day she had burnt his toast. For that she was beaten senseless. On their last day together, the coffee she served him was too hot.Stugard pulled out his sword, held it to her belly and said, "Someday I will kill you. For now, here is something to keep that always in mind." He jabbed the tip of his sword an inch into her belly. She fell to the floor and curled into a ball. He grabbed her by the throat, lifted her up,and slammed her head against the wall. While Geneva lay unconscious on the floor, Stugard walked out the door and headed for the hills.

Geneva was afraid. Stugard became a highway robber. He killed people travelling through the mountain passes. After other robbers joined him, he led ambushes on caravans. He was a killer. Many people had died by his sword. He was going to return for Geneva.

Geneva was afraid. She didn't want to be alone. She had a series of lovers. Each one in his turn was to be with her, by her side, when her husband returned. Although she was a mighty fine cook, Geneva seemed to always have trouble with toast and coffee. Each lover in his turn walked out while she lay unconscious on the floor, leaving her alone again until she found another lover.

The day came that Stugard led a band of fifty men. The sites of caravan attacks were getting closer to town. Geneva was afraid. She decided to take one last gamble: she approached Roland.

Roland was fairly easy about it. "Sure," he said, "I can do that. I will be with you when Stugard gets here."So Geneva moved in with Roland because his house was stronger and more easily defended. They soon became lovers and Roland was quite devoted to her. He would do most anything she asked him to do. Geneva was still afraid. She was even afraid of Roland.

"You'll beat me up like all the others," she claimed.

"No," said Roland, "why would I ever do that?"

"What if the toast is burned?"

"Toast is only toast."

"What if the coffee is too hot?"

"I like cream in my coffee and that cools it off."

Sure, Roland said that, but Geneva didn't believe it for a moment. Roland was just a man like all the others. She woke him up at night. "You'll find another woman you likemore, one with less problems."

"We've been all through this before. You are the most beautiful woman in the realm and I love you."

"But wouldn't you rather have a woman with less problems?"

"What would be the use of that? I'm a protector, that's my purpose. You need protection. That's why you're with me. Now let me get some sleep."

But she wouldn't let him sleep. "Why don't you want other women? All the others did."

"None of the others did right by you. If you think I am like the others, then why are you with me?"

"I was hoping you were different."

"Well I am, so let me get some sleep."

Geneva didn't believe it for a moment. Hadn't she had extensive experience with men? Isn't experience the only reliable teacher? Hadn't she learned by now that all men were liars, cheaters, and abusers of women?

Yes, Geneva knew in her heart that Roland was lying and she was afraid. She couldn't sleep, so she didn't let Roland sleep either.

"You'll beat me up."

"I won't beat you up."

"You'll choke me."

"I won't choke you."

"You'll cut me."

"I won't cut you."

"You'll cheat on me."

"Look, if I wanted another woman I'd tell you first, and I'd have you leave first, and I'd help you move your stuff back into your own house. Now let me get some sleep."

"I don't have my old house anymore."

"Oh, then I'd get you another one. Now please let me get some sleep."

"You'll beat me up."

"There are two things I can promise you absolutely and only two things. One, I will never abuse you. Two, I will never cheat on you. Anything else I may promise, you can doubt all you want. That's okay. Now let me get some sleep."

"Okay, good night. I love you."

"I love you too."

But Geneva didn't sleep, and she didn't believe Roland. Geneva was afraid.

One day Geneva said, "Roland, if you love me then you will get me flowers."

"Okay, I'll get you some."

"One would be enough."

"Okay, I'll get you one."

"The Flower of Alzonza would be nice."

"You mean the one that's guarded by the dragon Zorthoth? Zorthoth who has killed twenty different knights through the years? That Flower of Alzonza?"

"Yes, you'll really get it for me?"

"Well I guess so, since I love you."

So Roland went to get the flower. He came back a few days later with it and gave it to Geneva. He was walking differently because his right foot was missing.

Geneva noticed. "Roland, where's your foot?"

"Oh, the dragon got it, but I got you your flower. Ilove you."

"But what about Stugard and his fifty men? How can you protect me now?"

"Maybe Stugard won't notice, and after I've killed twenty or so of his men, maybe he'll go away. But I got you your flower."

She threw the flower down. "I don't care about materialistic things. How are you going to save me now?"

Roland didn't know what to say. He looked down at the Flower of Alzonza, now broken on the ground, shrugged his shoulders, and limped into the house.

Needless to say, Geneva and Roland were having some difficulties in their relationship now. Geneva was afraid. She couldn't sleep, so of course Roland couldn't sleep either.

The difficulties continued until Geneva took the initiative to patch things up. "I'm tired of all this arguing. Let's just forget the past and start all over again. I love you."

"I love you too."

"If you really love me, you'll get me some jewellery."

"Okay, I'll get you some."

"One jewel will be enough."

"Okay, I'll get you one."

"The Orb of Walnach would be nice."

"You mean the Fabulous Orb of Walnach that's in the possession of the Pirate King of Zanzabar? That Orb of Walnach?"

"Yes, you'll really get it for me?"

"I guess so, since I love you."

So Roland set off to get the jewel. It took a week, but he came limping back with the orb in his right hand. His left hand was missing.

Geneva noticed. "Roland, where's your hand?"

"Oh, the pirates got it, but I got you your jewel. I love you."

"But what about Stugard and his fifty men? How can you protect me now?"

"Maybe after I've killed ten or so of his men, Stugard will just go away. But I got you your jewel."

She snatched the orb from his hand and threw it to the ground. "I don't care about materialistic things. How are you going to save me now?"

Roland didn't know what to say. He looked down at the Fabulous Orb of Walnach, now broken on the ground, shrugged his shoulders, and limped into the house.

This time, the difficulties in their relationship lasted right up to the day when Stugard arrived with his fifty men. Roland, who had lost a foot with nothing to show for it, and had lost a hand with nothing to show for it, hadn't had any sleep for the past three weeks.

After Roland had killed ten of the robbers, Stugard still hadn't left. Roland killed two more before he was cut down.

The last words on Geneva's lips before Stugard's sword plunged into her guts were, "Roland, you lying bastard, I knew I shouldn't have trusted you."

posted on Oct, 29 2023 @ 08:54 PM
link   
This fairy tale was originally written in 1996, before I was a very good writer.

The critics that I showed it to unanimously declared that it had too much repetition. My response was that too much repetition was the point of the story.

As an added bonus, I left the last sentence blank. I read the story to Geneva and let her finish it in her own words. "Roland, you lying bastard, I knew I shouldn't have trusted you."

That's when I left Geneva. And Stugard never showed up any way. The whole thing was a learning experience. A hero complex can wear you down to nothing.

While the storyteller speaks
a door within the fire creaks
suddenly flies open
and a girl is standing there

Eyes alight with glowing hair
all that fancy paints as fair
she takes her fan and throws it
in the lion's den

"Which of you to gain me, tell
will risk uncertain pains of Hell?
I will not forgive you
if you will not take the chance"

The sailor gave at least a try
the soldier being much too wise
strategy was his strength
and not disaster

The sailor coming out again
the lady fairly lept at him
that's how it stands today
you decide if he was wise

posted on Oct, 29 2023 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: FullHeathen

I like this a lot. I bought my ex girlfriend black roses after she cheated on me! I think she was more upset about the roses than her cheating lol!
🌹

posted on Oct, 29 2023 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: JJproductions

Thanks!
Not too much repetition?

posted on Oct, 29 2023 @ 09:39 PM
link   

that confuses me to no end. I don't know if I am doing relationships wrong (probably) but why the hell would the guy do that?
I mean lose a hand and a foot to be rejected and lied to?

I don't get it?

posted on Oct, 29 2023 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: FurPerson

All I know it’s about something we need to avoid!

posted on Oct, 29 2023 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Freak'n hero complex.
The commentary explains it somewhat.

It's a fairy tale. No hands or feet were lost in the production.
She didn't reject him.
She would have stayed with him 'til he died from lack of sleep, and then cursed him.
edit on 29-10-2023 by FullHeathen because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2023 @ 10:04 PM
link   

I thought the repitition is symbolic for: doing the same thing and expecting different results

added with hero-complex = Roland is obviously mentally ill

so your story tells us that if Stugard would have just killed Geneva right away before he left less lifes would've been ruined?
Is that your intended message? The 'how to end relationships properly for the protection of your peers'?

posted on Oct, 29 2023 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Roland is obviously mentally ill

Yes.

if Stugard would have just killed Geneva right away before he left less lifes would've been ruined?

Well that's a bit harsh.

The 'how to end relationships properly for the protection of your peers'?

Geneva has the right to live too. Just not with Roland.

I admitted that this was before I was a skilled writer. Some ghost writer finished the story. The names have been changed to obscure the fact that Roland was still a bit mental. And it wasn't quite the end yet.
Never Make Promises Like

posted on Oct, 29 2023 @ 10:41 PM
link   

is that you pthena?

Geneva has the right to live too. Just not with Roland.

hm. That further confirms my position that Stugard was right

posted on Oct, 29 2023 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Ghost writer, I said.
He didn't believe in resurrection.
The Freak'n heathen.

That further confirms my position that Stugard was right

Oh for crying out loud!

edit on 30-10-2023 by FullHeathen because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2023 @ 11:14 PM
link   

I think that was great Full Heathen! It reads like what it is, a fairy story!

Kind of metaphoric but I haven't gone that deep. Reminded me of some past relationships lol.

S+F, I'd give more if I could.

ETA... I liked the repetitive aspect. Fairy stories can be like that.

edit on 30-10-2023 by midicon because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2023 @ 12:50 AM
link   
a reply to: midicon

Thanks.

I liked the repetitive aspect. Fairy stories can be like that.

Read the Epic of Gilgamesh some time.
It's like: What? Did the Akkadians have infinite clay for their tablets? Cut out the repetition and save 2/3 clay; not to mention the worn out scribes.

posted on Oct, 30 2023 @ 02:57 AM
link   

lol yeah well sorry.

But Roland would have been better off and Geneva too if you think about it. The lady is obviously also battling with serious issues.
From experience: if you need someone to prove their love for you you are not in love yourself.
And she says she is not interested in material things, why is she sending him out to do such difficult and dangerous tasks if she is not subconsciously trying to kill him?

posted on Oct, 30 2023 @ 05:51 AM
link   

why is she sending him out to do such difficult and dangerous tasks if she is not subconsciously trying to kill him?

In her "mind" she was testing his worthiness.
The irony, she was causing him to become less worthy.

Dysfunction

posted on Oct, 30 2023 @ 05:54 AM
link   

ok, yes that makes sense.

posted on Oct, 30 2023 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Very amusing, FullHeathen. Yes, it's repetitive, but it kept me reading, waiting for the twist to arrive.

It reminds me very much of Monty Python.

posted on Oct, 30 2023 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Encia22

Thank you.

I was going for Quentin Tarantino

Mia even looks like Geneva but with bangs.

edit on 30-10-2023 by FullHeathen because: (no reason given)

top topics

join