It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Fear Of Flight

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 02:26 PM
link   
So why are so many of us scared of flight?

As a child I was never bothered by the thought of flight, I enjoyed it and never felt uncomfortable. I returned from holiday abroad yesturday and could only think that I didn't feel as comfortable as I did before. I didn't have a direct fear of flying, I just couldn't help looking at people slightly different and putting myself into the position of someone who was onboard a hijacked plane, what it would feel like.

It is common and for people to be scared of flight but do you not think they may be scared now-a-days for totally different reasons, such as the risk of a terrorist hostage situation? Or maybe a bomb on the plane?

Are there any websites with information about terrorist attacks on planes, what has happened in the past?

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Im not really afraid of flight but I will never look at anyone wiith a large bag the same again on public transport. When im on the bus or train I always look for someway to get out if the need arises and ANYONE with a large bag or looking suspicious puts me off.

No offence intened to anyone but recently I was up in London on the tube and a Muslim looking man ( again no offence intended ) with a large aluminium breifcase thing. It scared the hell out of me. But when the rest of his family came in the train behind him I felt really bad for him as I noticed that a large number of people were staring at them.

It taught me to not judge peope by the way they look or dress.

[edit on 12-4-2005 by Zanzibar]

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 03:40 PM
link   
While I am not scared enough of flying to NOT fly, I do worry about aircraft failure, and certainly not other passengers. Im no tough guy, but im going to thrash any nutjob infront of me with a box cutter. Damned if Im going to let some passenger to crash my family.

I always keep a little fear of the plane simply failing in the back of my mind. Even though its mostly irrational.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I'm not scared of flying. Its the crashing I don't like.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 04:37 PM
link   
In any case it's a lot less scary when you are at the controls

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 07:54 AM
link   
when boarding an aircraft...sit at the back.....planes dont 'back' into mountains!

i fly....i freaking love it more than anything in the world!!

i get to go passenger in my mates stunt plane at least once a month.......

BRING IT ON.....BRING IT ON!!!!

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Yeah I've flown a 'Tutor' about four times. Hey I even did barrel rolls, loops and high G-force turns. Even so, I still get a bit anxious on a commerical jet, and I agree that if you're not in control you will feel more nervous.

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 08:14 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by optimus fett
when boarding an aircraft...sit at the back.....planes dont 'back' into mountains!

i fly....i freaking love it more than anything in the world!!

i get to go passenger in my mates stunt plane at least once a month.......

BRING IT ON.....BRING IT ON!!!!

can i borrow your mate?????

i love airplanes and would do just about anything for the chance to be at the controlls. heck one of my favorite fantisies is going back to ww2 and flying fighters

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by phixion
Yeah I've flown a 'Tutor' about four times. Hey I even did barrel rolls, loops and high G-force turns. Even so, I still get a bit anxious on a commerical jet, and I agree that if you're not in control you will feel more nervous.

Are you in the ATC by any chance? Because I am and I got to fly a Tutor a few weeks ago and I loved, didnt do any aerobatics (first time) but chase another Tutor that was in the air at the same time.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I was in the CCF-RAF. Pretty much the same thing as the Air Training Corps I believe.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I too am terrified to fly. I used to fly for many years a while back but as time went on (and long before 911) I became fearful. I think for me it is a combo of fear of height and not having control. Maybe if I was flying the plane I would feel better about it but when I am just sitting there and then I see the pilot roaming around........well, it is so unnerving.

So I have not flown since about 1993 and doubt I ever will again.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I loved to fly till I caught the pilot with the book "Fear of flying"...

I went to the co-pilot for reassurance...and he was reading "Flying for dummies"..

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 04:01 AM
link   
My biggest problem with flying is not being either behind the controls or in the cockpit to see what's going on. heh. Ever since I learned to fly sailplanes, and was working on my powered license I had that problem. I think once you start to fly and are used to having the controls in your hands, it's very hard to give them up to someone else and trust them to get you there safely. I have no fear of mechanical failure, or really of hijacking. The odds of being in a crash are so amazingly slim that it's almost not even worth calculating. And the way people are about hijackings now, there's no way anyone is gonna sit back and let it happen ever again. Hijacking just isn't worth it for the hijackers after 9/11.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Although I don't fly that often, I do know what it was like in the pre - 9/11 era of commercial flight. Back then, you just took it with a grain of salt that you boarded the plane and got to where you were going. I was rather young then, and safety wasn't my biggest concern. Jets crash sometimes and so this is always something you need to remember, however you seem to be concerned with your safety concerning terrorists.

I wouldn't say that our (US) failsafe procedures of security are foolproof, but better than before. No entity or group can guarantee your safety. Ultimately, it is going to be up to yourself to ensure your safety, regardless of the governments doings.

Since I haven't flown much within the last 15 years, I can only relate this to driving a car. We share the roads with everyone else, and unfortunately, people who don't care and have their own agendas. The Highway Patrol and the police are not going to be there at your whim to catch the guy breaking the rules at the time or often, after the fact. Everyone needs to be vigilant and observant and take matters into their own hands, especially on an airplane. No one can assure a terrorist will not hijack a flight you're on or even prevent it. Your safety is and always has been in your own hands. Don't put your safety and everyone elses in the hands of a promising government or acting officers before you can do something for yourself.

Don't let issues of terrorism make you worrisome either. Think of these things like you would anything else. Be observant and offensive when it comes to anyone or anything that threatens your safety and welfare or that of others.

Their are no guarantees in life, but certainly you have the power to intervene in the events that may happen. Furthermore, maybe you should be a little less paranoid of the likelihood that this kind of stuff will happen to you. Just because terrorism is a hot topic, doesn't mean that it will likely happen to you.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 10:43 PM
link   
The only thing I'm really afraid of when I board the plane is.....

Oh no! What if they run out of the Hawaiian Chicken and I have to take the Salisbury Steak?!

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I hate flying, always have. My Dad is pilot and so now is my sister but flying really freaks me out. Even before 9/11, although I flew back to the US from Europe just a month before.

My sister is at college in the pilot program and she had to take calsses studying crashes. She used to come home with ".. and this one crashed because the two pilots were fighting and didn't notice how low their altitude was..." Oh yeah, I really want to fly now.

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Yeah I think it's the feeling of 'if something goes wrong we're defaintly dead'. When your driving down the road you think you'll survive a crash, if your crash on a plane though your pretty much done for.

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I love flying. I have been doing it since I was 9 years old. There is really nothing to be afraid of when flying. It is actually safer than driving. And as my old saying goes: "Falling doesnt hurt, its just that sudden stop at the ground".

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 10:10 PM
link   
You know what they don't tell you about flying when you are on a commercial airliner?

That the wings flap!!!!

I was showing my total ignorance, accepting it and being one with it when I looked out at the flapping wings and asked the stewardess, "Are those meant to do that?!"

She laughed and said " Perfectly normal sir"

I am like, but this is a solid metal structure, they should not flap?!

This was my first flight by the way.

Since then I have learned about why it does this etc and no problems.

Just didn't expect that on my first flight.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join