It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The days are numbered for Kevin McCarthy

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Link

Matt Gaetz says he will attempt to remove Kevin McCarthy from his leadership role in this coming week. Kevin dropped his pompoms, walked up to Gaetz, stepped out with his right foot and said, "Bring it on!" Well, maybe no pompoms, but that is pretty much how it happened.

This is going on right now because the Democrats, and a good number of Republicans in the House, got together and routed the Freedom Caucus and their attempt to shut the government down. Donald Trump had asked them to do so and said that this was the last chance to shut the government down and by doing so also shut down the fake prosecutions into him. The two dozen House members did everything in their power to shut it all down, but 209 Democrats and over 120 Republicans sidestepped those efforts and passed a bill. The bill easily passed Senate and got signed into law before midnight by the President.

Crisis averted.

But someone lost here and they will seek vengeance. By attempting to put the US into turmoil, take paychecks and safety nets from millions of Americans, and failing to do so, these two dozen hard right House members only made themselves out to look foolish. Even though the shutdown attempt has been foiled, the drama around it still happened; and these people were clear in what they wanted. And since they didn't get it — someone has to pay!

And that someone is Kevin McLeadership.

Gaetz, a longtime McCarthy nemesis, said in broadcast interviews that McCarthy was in “brazen, material breach” of agreements he made with House Republicans in January when he ran for speaker. As a result, Gaetz said he would be filing a “ motion to vacate the chair,” as House rules permit.

McCarthy’s response: “So be it. Bring it on. Let’s get over with it and let’s start governing.”

No speaker has ever been removed from office through such a move. Procedural votes could be offered to halt the motion or it could trigger a House floor vote on whether McCarthy, R-Calif., should remain speaker.

“I think we need to rip off the Band-Aid,” said Gaetz, R-Fla. “I think we need to move on with new leadership that can be trustworthy.”

Looks like we're in for a couple of weeks of Bandaid ripping, instead of confirming the hundreds of military positions being held up by the same Caucus/Circus. It's better to create chaos and infighting, than to do your jobs and strengthen our nation... right, Matt et al.?
edit on Sun Oct 1 2023 by DontTreadOnMe because: NO MUD ALLOWED😬

posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 11:40 AM
link   
He never should have been Speaker. He was largely unpopular, but having already gained some power and put the fear of Ogun out there, nobody could muster a better run at it. The power vacuum was his for the taking.

That said, I think the fear of Ogun's Thunderstrike will keep him in the role.

On the issue of Matt, or whatever holding things up, that is pretty silly. Seems like there are hundreds of Dems that could vote to overcome 20 rogue R's.
edit on 1-10-2023 by Halfswede because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Called it.

posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 12:10 PM
link   
The GOP is just completely imploding. I don't know how anyone thinks they come out ahead next year.

House GOP members seek to expel Gaetz amid renewed threat to vacate House Speaker McCarthy

posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Threadbare

It will be interesting. I don't think they understand their base at all.
The left (congressionally speaking) have been leveraging a solid unified "not them" policy since 2016, and the right has failed to form a cohesive counter policy even embracing the same stupidity.

It's been embarrassing from a leadership perspective. It will come down almost entirely to the consensus on social /moral issues at the time.
edit on 1-10-2023 by Halfswede because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Halfswede

If we want to take Romney's announcement to not seek reelection at face value, they're afraid for their lives and the lives of their family if they go against Trump. As a result they're enabling a fringe part of the party that doesn't necessarily represent the ideology of the majority.

posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Mahogany

The entirety of all non MAGA called it and warned. But the MAGA is so far up ones own bum to know otherwise.

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 12:54 PM
link   

As a result they're enabling a fringe part of the party that doesn't necessarily represent the ideology of the majority.

Regardless of the irony.....

I recall Trump receiving record voting totals as well as being up exponentially more than the nearest contender in the polls.

But you keep on with your propaganda and talking points.
Its providing a valuable service

posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Halfswede

have been leveraging a solid unified "not them" policy since 2016, and the right has failed to form a cohesive counter policy even embracing the same stupidity.

Agreed. One has a lame-brained narcissistic moron to push against and the other has a fumbling, stumbling stuttering way to old man and his drug headed son to push against. Seems like a dead heat to me.

posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

As a result they're enabling a fringe part of the party that doesn't necessarily represent the ideology of the majority.

I recall Trump receiving record voting totals as well as being up exponentially more than the nearest contender in the polls.

But you keep on with your propaganda and talking points.
Its providing a valuable service

The amount of times these anti-Trump slappies have been wrong about everything is really quite astonishing.

Even Michigan weather forecasters have a better track record about being right.

posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Matt Gaetz is butt-hurt over some ongoing "Ethics" investigation of his actions. An investigation that McCarthy endorsed when Democrats were in charge.

posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Indeed.

posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 02:04 PM
link   
problem is to get a new one the dems get a decent chunk of say in WHO will be the new speaker of the house as the majority isnt as good as they would like it to be so its kind of a risky move to remove him if they dont have a canidate lined up to replace him that all the R's will vote for and some dems can stomach

posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

As we just saw yesterday, the majority of Republicans in office don't support Trump's brand of "Conservatism."

If the GOP had allowed the government to be shutdown, it would've guaranteed them losing seats next year.

It's also worth remembering to expel a member of Congress it requires a 2/3 vote. If Gaetz gets expelled it would mean that over half of the Republicans in the House voted for his expulsion, assuming the Dems are unanimous in voting to expel him.

posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Halfswede
It's been embarrassing from a leadership perspective.

To put it extremely mildly.

When they're making the previous drunk old lady look competent and her party unified, it's time to overhaul things.
edit on 1-10-2023 by gb540 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: RalagaNarHallas

Grassley or Johnson would probably be the person put forward by the Freedom Caucus.

If he wasn't dealing with cancer, my bet would be on Scalise replacing McCarthy.

As it stands, I don't know who the frontrunner would be.

posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 02:37 PM
link   

As we just saw yesterday, the majority of Republicans in office don't support Trump's brand of "Conservatism."

And?

Trumps politics clearly are the majority of the constituency

If the GOP had allowed the government to be shutdown, it would've guaranteed them losing seats next year.

Pardon me for not believing a word you say, especially opinions.

posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Matt Gaetz is butt-hurt over some ongoing "Ethics" investigation of his actions. An investigation that McCarthy endorsed when Democrats were in charge.

Another solid reason to blackmail Americans.

posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mahogany

originally posted by: carewemust

Another solid reason to blackmail Americans.

Because of the way our system is set up, we are NOT able to easily fix big mistakes.
edit on 10/1/2023 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Threadbare
The GOP is just completely imploding. I don't know how anyone thinks they come out ahead next year.

They just need to get rid of the extremists, the Rabble-Rabble crowd. They don't even know what they want, he threw all sorts of proposals and even their own level of cuts at them, and they even voted their own proposals down. Their goal was to burn it all down. That was it.

They're what DeSantis would call 'listless vessels.'

I look at the House Freedom Caucus as a pitchfork carrying group of villagers. I even have a creed for them, I stole it from the Rifleman's Creed:

This is my pitchfork. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My pitchfork is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

Without me, my pitchfork is useless. Without my pitchfork, I am useless.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join