It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Practical Steps to Overcome Sin.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2023 @ 11:53 PM
link   
In this post, I've shown that the apostles clearly wanted us to fix our minds on the spiritual things and to be of the mindset that we are to cease from sin. With Christ, it is possible to completely cease from sin, though in this mortal body, we will always retain the ability to sin again. This does not make future sin inevitable, and assuming the inevitability of future is unhealthy.

[1Pe 4:1-3 NASB95] 1 Therefore, since Christ has suffered in the flesh, arm yourselves also with the same purpose, because he who has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin, 2 so as to live the rest of the time in the flesh no longer for the lusts of men, but for the will of God. 3 For the time already past is sufficient [for you] to have carried out the desire of the Gentiles, having pursued a course of sensuality, lusts, drunkenness, carousing, drinking parties and abominable idolatries.

[1Jo 2:1 NASB95] 1 My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous;

Furthermore, I've also shown that the sum of Jesus' commandments are to,"believe in the name of His Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, just as He commanded us (1John 3:23)." Therefore, with the Holy Spirit, it should be realistically practical to live in righteousness and holiness, while completely abstaining from sin.

Nevertheless, I see so many people who are convinced that they can't stop sinning on a daily basis. You didn't learn this from the Bible. This is a post-apostolic heresy. Regardless, I believe the problem is three-fold.

You need to fix your mind on the spiritual things, not the literal understanding of the scriptures alone. Scriptural literalism has its place, but without spiritual discernment, it breeds legalism.

[2Co 3:6 NASB95] 6 who also made us adequate [as] servants of a new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

[Rom 7:6 NASB95] 6 But now we have been released from the Law, having died to that by which we were bound, so that we serve in newness of the Spirit and not in oldness of the letter.

[Gal 5:14-16 NASB95] 14 For the whole Law is fulfilled in one word, in the [statement,] "YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF." 15 But if you bite and devour one another, take care that you are not consumed by one another. 16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh.

You need to discern the difference between the unnecessary burden of what human tradition calls sin, and what the Spirit actually requires of you.

[1Ti 4:1-5 NASB95] 1 But the Spirit explicitly says that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons, 2 by means of the hypocrisy of liars seared in their own conscience as with a branding iron, 3 [men] who forbid marriage [and advocate] abstaining from foods which God has created to be gratefully shared in by those who believe and know the truth. 4 For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with gratitude; 5 for it is sanctified by means of the word of God and prayer.

[Rom 14:22-23 NASB95] 22 The faith which you have, have as your own conviction before God. Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves. 23 But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because [his eating is] not from faith; andwhatever is not from faith is sin.

[1Co 2:15-16 NASB95] 15 But he who is spiritual appraises all things, yet he himself is appraised by no one. 16 For WHO HAS KNOWN THE MIND OF THE LORD, THAT HE WILL INSTRUCT HIM? But we have the mind of Christ.

You need to understand how your sins hurts God and others, and develop empathy for God and your neighbor. It is much harder to sin when you understand the pain you've inflicted on Jesus, on your brother, and even on your neighbor. It's not too difficult to cultivate empathy. God gave you the Holy Spirit to bear these fruit.

[Rom 13:8-10 NASB95] 8 Owe nothing to anyone except to love one another; for he who loves his neighbor has fulfilled [the] law. 9 For this, "YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT ADULTERY, YOU SHALL NOT MURDER, YOU SHALL NOT STEAL, YOU SHALL NOT COVET," and if there is any other commandment, it is summed up in this saying, "YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF." 10 Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of [the] law.

[Gal 5:22-25 NASB95] 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. 24 Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit.

Meditate on the scriptures. Take the time to really understand and experience the love that God has for us, and let it motivate you to do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Ask God to change you, and the Holy Spirit will renew your mind if you're willing to walk in obedience.

Don't let anyone tell you that you can't stop sinning, or that you're arrogant to think you can. We must stop sinning and walk by the Spirit if we expect to be saved on the Day of the Lord. We can't do both at the same time. But if we constantly walk believing that we will eventually sin, and that it's unavoidable, then it will become a self-fulfilling prophecy. No healthy human being walks around worrying that they will inevitably trip and fall on a daily basis.

[2Pe 1:4-7, 10 NASB95] 4 For by these He has granted to us His precious and magnificent promises, so that by them you may become partakers of [the] divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world by lust. 5 Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence, and in [your] moral excellence, knowledge, 6 and in [your] knowledge, self-control, and in [your] self-control, perseverance, and in [your] perseverance, godliness, 7 and in [your] godliness, brotherly kindness, and in [your] brotherly kindness, love. ... 10 Therefore, brethren, be all the more diligent to make certain about His calling and choosing you; for as long as you practice these things, you will never stumble;

posted on Sep, 25 2023 @ 02:11 AM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

Lot of words
Just would love to know BP, have you overcome sin, stopped, no longer sin, do you live what you preach
Or, just all words and theory?

posted on Sep, 25 2023 @ 02:53 AM
link   
That was so beautiful to read. It's always a refreshing reminder that we have a choice. Without the holy spirit to guide me I would be so out out of control. I have found if you get to know people, it makes it easier to understand why they are the way they are and you can appreciate them more. By knowing and loving people the other fruits of the spirit come more often. By loving people and having relationship with others we can learn from others. Positive loving relationships amongst people should show support to each other helping each other to perserviere .
It's a big snowball affect. If we love our heavenly father we should want to know him hence why reading th BIBLE and getting information from a reliable well educated source we will gain relationship. If we are to love others we will not want to hurt our father. We should be happy and excited.
Pray for peace for those you know and do not know . Today a man at the restraunt I went to was so angry. He was swearing and annoyed at the staff. He was mad that he was waiting. He looked so inpatient. He got the order and the lady didn't get it on the order. He had looked at the receipt long before this and only after he got his food did he ention he wanted onion rings and that he asked for them and where were they. He asked for a box Ina very belligerent tone to the worker who told him that they did not ave drink holders . He was insistent on getting a drink box o she brought him a box that biscuits come in. I said to the guy as I was waiting for my food, " hey that holds the drinks almost better than a tray." He gives me the side eye. The waitstaff did not add onion rings. Why did the guy pace around for 5 min. Before he said anything. He was easily about sixty something years old. He then verbally berates three staff. They were very young. After they told him he was not charged. The lady, who should not be working the front counter due to being too quiet, charged him for the onion rings. He then got the rest of his food and left. The whole time I was just praying for his fear to be recognized so he could have peace. I was also praying for the waitstaff that they are able to not be affected too negatively by this customer. My food was out right after his. I told them that I appreciated them and the hard work they do working with the public. I also told the. not to let people who come in angry affect them. The odd thing about the whole thing is that the manager came out at one point and did nothing about this.

Sometimes you do not need to know a person to know they are suffering in some way. Pray for them. They don't even need to know you are doing it. If you tell them or ask them if you can pray for them or with them it may be what turns their day around. It can also be a recipe for disaster. I would stil pray for them even if it is a disaster. This world is so full of fear and anxiety which turns to anger. I cannot say I am perfect. I it can be a huge struggle some days especially when I am unsure of situations. I know God's doing something. I may not like how things are going . In that instance I am to grow in knowledge. Find answers in the bible or with a mre knowedgeable other. Smetimes I enjoy what is happening ery much. This too is a good time to gather knowledge so ND understanding so you too can be a friend of Jesus. You know Jesus is a friend you can trust and love because, though things sometimes are hard, knowing your friend paved the way for you to get to the father and is with you. God knows you better than you know yourself. He knows what to do to get us to where he wants you to be. No two people are alike which is why he communicates to us in the way that only we would recognize it is him.
Gods communication comes to so many in a variety of ways. So many little things when I ask are answered. How many do I miss? How much is a coincidence? I doubt too many.
Find the person who makes you the most mad. Pray for them. Let God intervine. When he does you have the potential to understand that person and gain a loving relationship with them.

It is late and I am tired. I am sorry for my rambling and apologize if it is somewhat incoherent. In summary. Learn about Jesus and God and the holy spirit through others that know more. Then ask for relationship. Accept christ died for the sins of the word. Learn about others. You didn't just all of a sudden meet a girl/boy and 2 days after get married. You had to build relationships. You had to understand them. Why can we not take the time to understand others and create more peace with each difficult person.

Goodnight

posted on Sep, 25 2023 @ 02:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

What answer(s) are you honestly willing to accept?

posted on Sep, 25 2023 @ 03:05 AM
link   
The truth, obviously
How can I accept anything other

posted on Sep, 25 2023 @ 03:07 AM
link   
a reply to: cre8chaos

Yes. So many people are scared and internally divided by their anxieties - quick to judge and slow to listen. But I find the Holy Spirit makes his presence known to his elect in situations like that, especially if we learn to listen. There is no temptation too great for us to escape. That's God's grace. Thank you for the testimony.

posted on Sep, 25 2023 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Do you believe one can stop sinning?

posted on Sep, 25 2023 @ 03:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest

Do you believe one can stop sinning?

Definition of Adultery
The definition of adultery is the "voluntary sexual relations between a married person and someone other than that person's current spouse."

Fornication Definition
A concise definition of fornication is "sexual intercourse between people not married to each other," including pre-marital and adulterous relations.

Those two are very close correct? Turns out adultry one has to be married and screw with someone who they are not married to.
SO I can see why Fornication is confused to be also confused with adultry.

So those who are not married cant commit adultry if they do not screw someone who is married. Now dwelling on a person mentally is still bad though.

posted on Sep, 25 2023 @ 04:18 AM
link   

With Christ, it is possible to completely cease from sin,....

No, it's not. Everyone sins.

Romans 3:23-24 23 For everyone has sinned; we all fall short of God's glorious standard. Yet God, in his grace, freely makes us right in his sight.

Ecclesiastes 7:20. Indeed, there is not a righteous man on earth who continually does good and who never sins.

Romans 3:10. as it is written, “There is none righteous, not even one;

Psalm 143:2. And do not enter into judgment with Your servant, For in Your sight no man living is righteous.

posted on Sep, 25 2023 @ 08:31 AM
link   
It's not possible to live a life free of sin. If you even think a sinful thought it's they same as having committed that sin.

In Matthew 5:21, 22, our Lord says,

Ye have heard that it was said … Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment: But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment.

verse 27:

“Ye have heard that it was said … Thou shalt not commit adultery: But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.”

Here the Lord is telling us that sin is not always an action, it’s an attitude. It’s thoughts.

In the Sermon on the Mount, our Lord spent a lot more time talking about the attitude of pride and arrogance and sinful thoughts than the actual deeds, because every sinful deed originates with a thought in the mind.

[www.amazingfacts.org...]

There is not one single human on the planet who can, or ever has gone a single day without committing sin....unless they're comatose, and even then we don't know for sure.

It would seem proselytizers are actually going against Jesus' words from his Sermon on the Mount according to Matthew 7:6, 'Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.'

I'm betting all the internet 'preachers' consider those who don't embrace their opinion to be 'dogs' .

posted on Sep, 25 2023 @ 08:55 AM
link   
21 “You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not murder; and whoever murders will be liable to judgment.’ 22 But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother[c] will be liable to judgment; whoever insults[d] his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell[e] of fire. 23 So if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, 24 leave your gift there before the altar and go. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift. 25 Come to terms quickly with your accuser while you are going with him to court, lest your accuser hand you over to the judge, and the judge to the guard, and you be put in prison. 26 Truly, I say to you, you will never get out until you have paid the last penny.[f]

Lust

27 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ 28 But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29 If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body be thrown into hell. 30 And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body go into hell.

Divorce

31 “It was also said, ‘Whoever divorces his wife, let him give her a certificate of divorce.’ 32 But I say to you that everyone who divorces his wife, except on the ground of sexual immorality, makes her commit adultery, and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery.

Oaths

33 “Again you have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not swear falsely, but shall perform to the Lord what you have sworn.’ 34 But I say to you, Do not take an oath at all, either by heaven, for it is the throne of God, 35 or by the earth, for it is his footstool, or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. 36 And do not take an oath by your head, for you cannot make one hair white or black. 37 Let what you say be simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything more than this comes from evil.[g]

Retaliation

38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ 39 But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. 40 And if anyone would sue you and take your tunic,[h] let him have your cloak as well. 41 And if anyone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. 42 Give to the one who begs from you, and do not refuse the one who would borrow from you.

Love Your Enemies

43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. 46 For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? 47 And if you greet only your brothers, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? 48 You therefore must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Giving to the Needy

6 “Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven.

2 “Thus, when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. 3 But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.......

I have never heard of any human being who claimed they could live up to the above expectations
You?

posted on Sep, 25 2023 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Then you must be hanging around the wrong people.

posted on Sep, 25 2023 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

If you even think a sinful thought it's they same as having committed that sin.

Thoughts are not judgements and temptation is not sin.

posted on Sep, 25 2023 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Personally, I have overcame and ceased from sin.

All I had to do was stop referring to things as "Sin", and start referring to them as "Having Fun", and "Motivational Tools".

Just like that, boom. Everything's good now. Sure this approach might not work for everyone, but in some cases and for some people, it works like a charm.

posted on Sep, 25 2023 @ 11:22 AM
link   

a reply to: nugget1

If you even think a sinful thought it's they same as having committed that sin.

Thoughts are not judgements and temptation is not sin.

Not if you let some guy invent a new interpretation of the Bible in the 1800's and believe every word. That's freedom of choice, but doesn't make it true.
But you go ahead; keep casting your pearls, judging others and patting yourself on the back for being in the only religion that knows the truth.

posted on Sep, 25 2023 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Then you must be hanging around the wrong people.

So you flat out deny Christ’s sermon on the mount?
Cool, if that floats your boat

I have asked but you won’t reply
What is your denomination
Do you acknowledge the apostles creed in principle?

posted on Sep, 25 2023 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Why do you continue asking questions when you know you can't stomach the answers?

posted on Sep, 26 2023 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Because I want to understand where you are coming from and why
Never heard your brand of theology, ever
want to know the motivation and reason

I think you must be very disingenuos, think this is your personal belief, something you made up becasuse, never come across any other faith saying that sin, this side of Gods kingdom can be conquered

“If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us” (1 John 1:8).

posted on Sep, 26 2023 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Because I want to understand

Then understand: Focus on understanding the scriptures I'm showing you rather than the theology that you I should or should not be following.

My motivation? There is only one valid motivation.

Don't cite scripture out of context. It's disintegral. Read 1John 2:1. In fact, I quoted it in my post.

posted on Sep, 26 2023 @ 02:19 AM
link   

I did read it, it doesnt say what you infer
No where in the vbible do I read where humanity can stop sinning, hence why the law had to be overcome and grace substituted
Your reference
Jesus Christ the righteous: 2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

propitiation or atonement or reconcilliation
Jesus reconciles our sin, not us

top topics

<<   2 >>

join