It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pig kidney works a record 2 months in donated body

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2023 @ 09:06 PM
link   

NEW YORK (AP) — Dozens of doctors and nurses silently lined the hospital hallway in tribute: For a history-making two months, a pig’s kidney worked normally inside the brain-dead man on the gurney rolling past them.

The dramatic experiment came to an end Wednesday as surgeons at NYU Langone Health removed the pig kidney and returned the donated body of Maurice “Mo” Miller to his family for cremation.

It marked the longest a genetically modified pig kidney has ever functioned inside a human, albeit a deceased one. And by pushing the boundaries of research with the dead, the scientists learned critical lessons they’re preparing to share with the Food and Drug Administration -– in hopes of eventually testing pig kidneys in the living.

link

This is a topic near and dear to my ... well Kidneys.

I have a Kidney disease that is slowly deteriorating my Kidneys leaving me with less and less filtering capabilities. Eventually ... hopefully when Im old and gray... I will need a transplant or dialysis. Right now all I can really do is try to keep my blood pressure down to take stress off of my Kidneys.

My father has the same disease and received a donation from his sister. Unfortunately for us, all of my siblings have the same disease. Looks like pig Kidneys for all of us in the future.
edit on 14-9-2023 by dandandat2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2023 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: dandandat2

Gosh, I'm sorry you're facing such serious health issues. I hope it works out that they do figure out a way to create or adapt spare parts for humans that still have a lot of productive years left.

I met a young mother with cystic fibrosis that had been on the lung transplant list for over four years, right around the time David Rockefeller was in the news for receiving his 3rd! heart transplant at the age of 99 years old!!! That triggered me big time

They young gal I'd met died a year later....still waiting. She left behind a husband, 13 y/o and 9 y/o daughter. At the time there were news articles on research being done on 'lab grown' organs. It made me wish there was an age limit for transplant patients.

I hope you continue to do well in managing your condition and live a long, happy life.

posted on Sep, 15 2023 @ 12:57 AM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

I am a cystic fibrosis carrier. My husband had to get genetic testing to see if he too was a carrier, fortunately he isn’t.

Although I don’t have cystic fibrosis there are studies now saying carriers might have some things like above average mucus and stuffiness.

Also my kids will need genetic testing and if also a carrier so will their partners. It is a very scary, sad disease!

posted on Sep, 15 2023 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: nugget1

I am a cystic fibrosis carrier. It is a very scary, sad disease!

Yes, it is. Cyber hug for you!

top topics

join