It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help with a riddle please

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 12:44 PM
link   
ag.ricola h.asta? leon.em interf.ecit.
be.llum ma.gnum? c.oortum e.st.
pilu.m sco.rpio? ...?

For further explanation into why I want you help completing this last sentence, please see my last post entitled "A.m I b.eing rec.ruited?"

Please ignore dots/periods/full stops in this post.

Thank you.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 12:46 PM
link   
So why write with dots etc

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me

JAK

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bikereddie

Perhaps to avoid this thread being picked out by those keywords that are presently punctuated and the member identified by the society they believe trying to recruit them.

Jack

[edit on 11/4/05 by JAK]

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 01:05 PM
link   
yes both good ideas but actually it was because the server told me when I tried to post my previous two posts that there were already posts with my title. But there weren't so I thought they were scanning for plagarised text, so I put the dots in. (the plagarism would have been from my own earlier post, "am I being recruited?)

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by agricolahasta
For further explanation into why I want you help completing this last sentence, please see my last post entitled "A.m I b.eing rec.ruited?"

How about you just explain it here and now?

You are also posting Here, no? You are hungarian?

As far as 'pilum', it takes its form from 'hair', or somesuch. A pilum is also of course the name of the roman throwing weapon. The scorpion could also be a roman weapon.

[img]http://www.spqr.co.nz/Smallshoot.jpg][\img]

The pilum isn't just a spear tho, its designed to be heavy, and thus have impact, and to also bend upon impact, so as to be hard to remove from a shield. That way the enemy can't toss it back, and even has to drop his own shield. Even if they don't drop theirs, then their lines will tangle with all this pili sticking out of them (like hairs or velcro, see?). After the battle you just heat it and can use it again.

I can't imagine how you are supposed to give 'responses' to cryptic phrases like that, certainly not without more information.

Seems kind of silly infact.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Found this on the machine used.

quote from other thread, These last two words mean Roman javelin or spear, followed by either scorpion or a type of dart throwing machine used by the romans as well.

www.oldnewspublishing.com...
According to Plutarch, the Greek historian, "When Archimedes began to operate his machines, he shot against the Romans all sorts of darts and immense masses of stone. These hit the earth with incredible noise and violence. No man could stand against such weapons, and the Romans were knocked down in heaps."

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Isn't archimedes also the one who was working out a problem, scratching in the ground one day. And when a roman soldier walked right up to him, he was so distracted all he said was something like 'you're blocking my sunlight'? Famous last words apparently eh?

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by JAK

Originally posted by Bikereddie

Perhaps to avoid this thread being picked out by those keywords that are presently punctuated and the member identified by the society they believe trying to recruit them.
Jack
[edit on 11/4/05 by JAK]

Cheers, now i get the drift of what its about and why the punctuations.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 01:16 AM
link   

(posted by Nygdan)
Isn't archimedes also the one who was working out a problem, scratching in the ground one day. And when a roman soldier walked right up to him, he was so distracted all he said was something like 'you're blocking my sunlight'? Famous last words apparently eh?

I think it was Diogenes who said that. He was sitting on the ground when Alexander the Great, very respectfully, approached and asked him what he, Alexander, could do for him, so he answered, "Just move. You're blocking the sunlight."

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Doh! I think you are right! Diogenes was 'the cynic' too no?

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   
pilu.m sco.rpio? ...?

This is all latin

farmer hasta leonem inter-betweet ecit .. these are not normal ghrammer constructions. Bellum i think is love magnum is large or great , est =is

Hope that helps

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Localjoe3
pilu.m sco.rpio? ...?
This is all latin

farmer hasta leonem inter-betweet ecit .. these are not normal ghrammer constructions. Bellum i think is love magnum is large or great , est =is
Hope that helps

Not sure why this tread was dredged up after being gone so long (remember, if it's not on page one...it's old news) But anyway, "Bellum" is quite the opposite of "love" "Bellum" is Latin for "War"

As far as the whole message goes, it doesn't really make any sense. I'd wager it's not a recruitment, but something the OP made up.

top topics

join